Wow! and Hello....

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by Fredness, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Fredness

Fredness HyperMilin' on E85

What a great site! Looks like we've got the same ideas and goals, but far different vehicles/motivations.

1998 Ford Explorer Sport, 2 Wheel Drive, 4.0L SOHC, Auto, 3.73 limited slip, 18MPG factory, my worst 20, my best 24.99. 12 mile commute (for the wife) and we take this vehicle on the longer trips. AC on, cruise locked at 65mph. As a PCM tuner, I've managed to electronically boost the efficiency, but now I need to work on "me".

2005 Ford Focus, 2.0L Duratec, 5 speed, 28MPG factory, 34 MPG average, 37mpg best. 65 mile (one way) commute in to Seattle. I drive at 65-70MPH in the far left lane :eek: . If I'm going to change anything, it's my speed. Just have to make some flashing lights and a warning label for the tailgate so I don't get rammed off the road when I start riding the far right white line and drop to 55MPH... :D

I've been concentrating on the mechanical aspects of the mileage game, but had NO idea there was so much to be gained from changing driving styles.

Free flowing exhaust, intake, widen the gap on the plugs, keeping tire pressure up have all made some gains, but most of you are seeing 3x that in just changing your driving styles. I'll be lurking for a while to see what "pearls" I can gleen from the posts, and I'll be sure to post my results.

2. brucepick

brucepick Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Welcome!

I think you've come to the right place.

If you haven't already, see Wayne Gerdes' article "Beating the EPA - The Why’s and how to Hypermile. " in this site's "Articles" section.
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1510

Some of the text is specificlly written for hybrids but many of the concepts remain valuable. My own car is EPA 19/24 and I've been getting 27 highway lately. I'm using a fair bit of pulse and glide combined with driving with load.

I'm a bit of a modifications nut. I think there's more that can be done; its just a matter of time and sometimes money. I'm seriously considering using underbody panels to smooth that area; there's plenty airflow under there. That work will have to wait for warmer weather. This weekend I'll be adding a tach; it wasn't included on most Volvos when mine was made.

3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Fredness:

___Welcome to CleanMPG and you came to the right place for sure. Let us hope to see the numbers climb steadily with the learning curve but given your current willingness and capabilities, WOW is going to be an understatement!

___You are doing great but about that Explorer, there are limits (see the MDX posts :(). The Focus w/ the 2.0 and a stick, oh yea, there is a lot more where that came from and I look forward to seeing where you can take it! I have a secret passion for that car and wish I had one of my own to play with. I have seen 69 + in the Ranger w/ the 2.3 and I know the Focus w/ the 2.0 can knock that P/U’s numbers into the dirt on the right road with the right conditions!

___Good Luck and we look forward to hearing more in the not to distant future.

___Wayne

4. Fredness

Wayne? Didn't I just read an article about you at "MotherJones.com"? That's how I found this forum...

5. xcel

Hi Fredness:

___Ahhhhhh, I plead the fifth :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne

6. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Welcome to CleanMPG!

Yeah, some people in cyberspace read that article and go mad.

7. Fredness

...especially at the 120MPG part. Yikes...

Adding my fuel data starting tonight, I have little on the Explorer since the Wife is a "Key/Gas" driver (the only thing she needs to know about a vehicle is where the key/gas go).

On the other end of the spectrum, I have every fill up receipt with mileage since day 1...

8. Fredness

Thanks Wayne, and everyone else that made this site happen.

I've been pretty good squeezing the most out of my fuel $$, but it's been tough. Here in Seattle the drivers are not at ALL friendly when you are in the far right lane doing 55MPH. I tried for the longest time, but met with such resistance (and aggression), I thought it would be easier/safer to just "go with the flow" and crank it up to 70MPH.

Well, in 2 days, all that has changed!

I filled up last night at the regualr time/station and adopted the RWL technique. Guess what? They go around! No flashing the brights, no tailgating, no honking, they just go around! :woot:

I was able to RWL to and from work at a steady 55MPH (even got some help from a few semi's) and I am at 3/4 of a tank and 128miles. Norm is 100 miles per quarter tank. At this rate, I may actually be within grasp of the "Holy Grail" of the Focus community; 500 miles per tank. :flag:

I'll let you know in a few days...

9. xcel

Hi Fredness:

___I assume RWL (ride white line?) is RR or Ridge Riding, correct?

___Boy are you going to receive some big numbers from that Focus and I cannot wait to see where she takes you! I am salivating and I don’t even own one ;)

___Great job and if you want to get together with another hypermiler, Billy (Bill Kinney) lives in your area? I talked to him just the other day after he hauled his tractor to a dealership with the Ranger. He left the trailer and tractor at the dealership and pulled a 43.x mpg - 200 mile segment from the Ranger on the way back.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

10. Fredness

Yeah...
    Different site, different acronyms. :eek:
    Would love to meet with locals, especially Ranger/Explorer/Focus "peeps". Any chance we can get "regional" forums so we can do get-togethers? or do we already have these boards and I'm too n00b to find them? :D

I've added my mileage logs and hyperlinked them in my sig (click on badge). The worst part about getting better mileage is it takes even longer to see the results!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  11. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

Sounds like a bang up start to a new addiction fredness.

psy

12. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

If you want to organize a gathering post in the events and gatherings forum. For now there really aren't a lot of people in an area to warrant individual forums for different regions.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  13. Fredness

483 miles and I'm not on "E" yet, a new record. Filling up this afternoon, drove all morning with the low fuel light on (60+ miles).

:Banane27:

14. Fredness

515.1 miles, 14.088 gallons on a 14 gallon tank. It sputtered and died at a light, next to a gas station. Pushed in the clutch and coasted to the pump. 36.5MPG, man, I love this site!

15. xcel

Hi Fred:

___Although running out of fuel and coasting into a gas station is probably taking her a little to far, I know a few of us that have done that ;)

___Congratulations! A 20% improvement in FE on your first real tank and there is a lot more yet to go :D You reduced your CO2 emissions by almost 100 #’s on that tank vs. any previous which is yet another feather in your cap. Now go take the wife to a movie of her choosing with the $’s you saved in celebration. Ride your bikes to the movie theater if possible of course ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

16. Fredness

Well, no one on the Focus boards I troll has hit 450 per tank (I have 2x) and they said 500 was unreachable. When I hit 500, I decided to go as far as I felt safe. I was on the interstate and took the next exit (when I saw 515 rolling up), and it died two blocks later, in front of the gas station I was headed to... Pretty good guess!

I had never run it dry before, now I know that a sliver of guage between the needle and the bottom of "E" is really it. :D

17. Fredness

...and now the real fun begins. I'm on my 3rd tank of E85 mix. First tank was E10, then E20 looking for a Check Engine Light that never came. Then E22 made it happen. I filled back up on Gas to see how long it would take to reset the P0171 (8 start cycles).

Now I'm going to tune for E30 and run progressively more E85 until it trips again. Then run a tank of straight E85, hope to have dyno results within the month.

18. brucepick

brucepick Well-Known Member

Interesting. I haven't seen any E85 here in CT but there must be some out your way.
    Let us know how it goes.

Can you post a link for additional information on tuning for E85, for those of us who might be interested?

19. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

Can you not get straight gas? Or are you just playing with the blends?

20. Fredness

I'm testing the mixtures to be sure the mixes are linear. I also wanted to prove some things, like the Ford PCM could "fix" a 10% error and run up to 20% error with the CEL tripping at about 25%. Well, it ran great with all the mixtures and the CEL tripped at 27%. So far the numbers look good.

Today, I mixed a 33.4% Ethanol tank and it gets a dedicated tune. I have set the timing appropriatly for 96+ octane and an AFR of about 12.7:1 based on that ratio. All the data is from spreadsheets (that's just how I roll), but there is some GREAT info at e85vehicles.com and their forum.

I can ONLY get straight gas, I have to go to Portland OR to get E85, about 230 miles. But, we are getting a refinery in 9/2008, so I want to be ready!