2011 Sonata GLS - Poor Gas Mileage (resolved)

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by balshelmtov, Feb 10, 2011.

?

Your 2011 Sonata GLS mpg relative to EPA estimates performs:

1. At about the EPA rated mpg.

16.7%
  2. Somewhat above the EPA rated mpg.

16.7%
  3. Somewhat below the EPA rated mpg.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Far above (25% or greater) the EPA rated mpg.

50.0%
  5. Far below (25% or greater) the EPA rated mpg.

16.7%
  1. balshelmtov

balshelmtov 2011 Sonata GLS

Our 2011 Sonata GLS gets an average of 13.5 mpg. Just to be thorough, we drive 60 mph on the highway, in the "city" there is no hard acceleration or braking. There's nothing in the trunk, no towing, not more than two passengers, no a/c on, and no windows rolled down. The tires are inflated to 32 psi as per the manual's recommendation and the fuel is brand name of the octane rating recommended in the manual.

We have garnered these results over the 900 or so miles the car has on it. I have both used the Sonata's average mpg display and via meticulous record keeping of gallons filled into the tank over the course of the car's life.

All other things being even, we bought the car because of the mileage. If we wanted this kind of mileage we could have bought a big truck with a massive V-8. Shame on you Hyundai. :mad::mad:

2. paulbates

paulbates Well-Known Member

Re: 2011 Sonata GLS HORRIBLE Gas Mileage

I would suggest a couple of things, both involving the dealer:

1) There is a break in period on engines sometime and the mileage is expected to be lower during that time. Granted, this seems extreme. Ask the dealer what is normal for other owners

2) Take it to the dealer and have them address it. I don't think that they want to see posts like this and should get a chance to look at it. 24 city and 35 Hwy? Something is mechanically wrong.

If you did take it to the dealer and they didn;t help you, call the customer support line in the manual

3. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

does the temp gauge make it to the middle (or is just a light) - does the heater get good and warm ? (could be bad coolant temp sensor) ((car always thinks its cold so 'choke' on all the time) yea break-in period + dead of winter doesn't = best MPG but something is WRONG :eyebrow:

4. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Does it glide nicely in neutral? If you feel drag in neutral, then perhaps a brake is dragging.

This is not normal, and you should be able to find and fix the problem.

5. SD3_Driver

SD3_Driver Well-Known Member

13.5 is really bad for a sonata, something must be wrong with that specific car....

6. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

Do you perhaps idle the car a lot? In the morning to preheat it, sitting in the parking lot, etc...?

I know you mentioned in another thread that the dealer is giving you the run-around... I would take it to another dealer if you can. Otherwise, call Hyundai of America and the dealer you bought the car from and tell them that you're gonna put your 2011 Sonata GLS on the busiest corner in Long island with a huge sign on it that says "This NEW Hyundai bought from ___dealer___ gets 13.5 MPG!"

7. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Balshelmtov, Welcome to CleanMPG!
    I live on your area, and I have a 2011 Sonata GLS with a stick. See my signature below for the MPG average - in the mid 30s. But there's a catch there... That car is parked for the winter, and we're using older cars with snow tires for winter driving. The Sonata does roll every few weeks to keep the battery charged, but only when the roads are clear.

13.5mpg is what you can expect during the coldest winter we've had since 1983, if you drive a lot of short trips without the engine warming fully. Once the temp gage is over the 1/4 position, get out on one of the parkways and drive a steady 50mph. In the display in the middle of the dash, cycle through to instant mpg (the bar with 0 25 and 50 markings), and it should stay pegged and dip down a little once in a while.

One other thought - the dash display has Average MPH and Average MPG. If you are reading the dash display as your MPG number, confirm you are reading MPG and not MPH. The Average MPG will reset itself each time you refill the tank (or more specifically, add 1.6 gallons or more).

To show you what the Sonata is capable of on Long Island roads...

The Sonata below (GLS 6 speed stick) drove from Chicago to Long Island on 2/3 of a tank of gas. I snapped this photo in front of the Aviation Museum near NCC.

[​IMG]

Driving this car in June 2010 (scalding hot weather and summer traffic), I saw some of these numbers:

On Atlantic Ave in Freeport near the Nautical Mile - 60.5mpg (37.3 average) doing 25mph in a 35, with the slower speed giving the light ahead time to change.

[​IMG]

Same display from my car, on the highway, showing average mpg number

[​IMG]

Around town driving lowers those numbers to "30 something", and slogging from light to light in subfreezing weather, with an automatic trans, is going to mean mpg in the teens unless you fake shift.

8. 300kmileprius

300kmileprius Well-Known Member

The only way to get mileage that low is to either cruise WELL in excess of 100mph all the time or constantly drive in very harsh city conditions blasting the AC,

9. balshelmtov

I spoke to Star Hyundai in Flushing/Bayside Queens. The Service Manager Mark Smith told me repeatedly "mileage may vary." After several conversations and threats that I'd be charged if a they could not find "something" wrong, he agreed to let me drop off the car but never actually checked it. The service invoice said he, in the residential neighborhood achieved 23.8 mpg (2 mile test). I have not achieved 23.8 mpg on the highway at 55mph. On my way home, 5 miles later the mileage had dropped (from 23.8 mpg) to 13.x. The only way these numbers work out is if I achieved 9.8 mpg on the way home.

I brought both the horrible gas mileage and Mark's lies to the attention of customer service. They were pleasant but said Mark was not an employee of Hyundai and documented what I said.

Several days later a complaint number was generated, but I will have to review my notes to recall the next very disappointing steps I took.

10. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Balshelmtov:

Chris has offered to take you out with your Sonata and it is up to you to take him up on it. If the dealership pulled 28.8 around Queens and you pulled 13 or less, I have to question your commute and conditions. Nobody in the inner city pulls EPA from their cars other than most here at CleanMPG and especially not in the winter… Now all of a sudden they have an aFCD to see their own FE in real time so something must be wrong. Rarely if ever do new cars have something wrong with them so go over to Chris' house and let him find out one way or the other. Threatening a dealership is not going to do anything but raise your blood pressure so wait until you have something to back it up or find out you may need to ease back on the pedal a touch with some new habits to increase your own FE.

And as an example, we have members with < 3-mile commutes in new Prius’ pulling in the high 20’s and low 30’s in mid-winter as well.

Good luck and keep us informed with regards to Chris’ drive in your vehicle.

Wayne

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  11. balshelmtov

Exactly my point; and Hyundai fights me telling me the car is operating within design specifications on the one hand and actively embraces and promotes the EPA mpg results on the other (in their advertisements and commercials).

12. MaxxMPG

Did you add fuel after your visit to the dealer?
    If not, did you reset the average MPG readout?
    Read the average MPH and see what that says compared to average MPG.

I am close enough to your area to offer some time to spend with you to review some basic techniques and determine if the car is within spec.

13. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Balshelmtov:

All car manufacturers promote their EPA because that is what their vehicles receive on the EPA test cycles. An inner city commute with snow and you could be in a world of hurt. I know of a CGAutomtive writer that is currently pulling < 9 mpg from the 16 mpg rated RAM and he knows it is his lousy commute and parking situation... Along with that damned thing called a remote starter which I told him to throw in the garbage!!!

Sorry to say but the 11 Sonata's EPA is less than half the numbers we have received from it this past summer and it is time for you to find out as Chris has given you the opportunity to do so. Ranting is not solving your problem but a solution is a PM/E-Mail away. Follow up on it as there are few people in the world that would offer what you are about to receive.

Good Luck

Wayne

14. MaxxMPG

Star Hyundai is only a 20 minute drive from me. I'm willing to meet up with you at some point and have you take me on a little ride and see if I can offer some suggestions.

The Sonata, like any other large, heavy car with a small engine is going to offer EPA only with easy driving in suburban, rather than urban driving. This is not meant to prejudge the car or your driving environment, it's just the laws of physics in action.

When I drive into Manhattan, my 30+mpg goes directly into the toilet, and I don't imagine I'm topping more than 10mpg. It's the nature of the beast, and it's why the Prius and Fusion Hybrid are the King of the Big Apple in that they can creep in EV-mode in the awful "Don't Block the Box" jungle.

-Chris

15. KittyBoodles

KittyBoodles Ferocious FeLion

Hi,

You mentioned you are keeping meticulous records for your car. It would be very helpful if you would copy that information into this thread, including total miles and total gallons since you took delivery of the car.

I have a 2011 Sonata GLS as well, and I completely fill up at about 1/4 tank. I'm currently close to 6K miles on the car, and I use Trip B to count the number of miles on that tank, then take the number of gallons from the gas pump, and then record both along with the date and the $/gal on a little memo pad kept in the car's console bin.

Is that how you are keeping track? If so, please jot down your numbers in this thread and we can possibly find pattern.

Thank you.

16. balshelmtov

Yours is the perhaps best idea I have heard so far. Hyundai customer service and up the chain (as you noted you've seen before in my threads) has put every obstacle in my way to deny me a car that works as promoted and advertised.

I am getting the car looked at by the dealership I bought the car from (rather than Star Hyundai of Flushing/Bayside Queens) in about a week and a half. While I continue towards the actual arbitration hearing there is no reason why I can't use your FANTASTIC suggestion to keep the pressure up.

Please look back at my postings. If it gets me my money back I will happily give you most of the credit.

Thanks!!!

17. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

...or you could take Chris up on his offer to help you evaluate the car objectively? You seem pretty bent on sticking it to Hyundai rather than actually addressing the problem. That doesn't seem terribly productive.

18. balshelmtov

I wish you were right. I am not putting this much time, effort and legal resources into this for anything other than serious condition or defect in the car. In fact when District Manager Gregory Pavlov and Customer Service Manager Ted Lytle drove with me on an unrealistically conservative road test we got, they saw and they documented 16mpg. This figure exists in their records as a result of the test they asked me to perform.

The car has been repeatedly tested and in fact generally driven under less demanding circumstances than the EPA uses when generating their highway and city mpg figures. No a/c, no windows open, no idling except at a traffic signal, perfectly inflated tires, no cargo, no emergency brake on, no trailer or roof mounted storage or any other variable a person has mentioned to me.

I have fuel receipts along with odometer and avg mpg photos and welcome anyone's challenge to my results because at the end of the day everyone's criticism will enable me to present a stronger case at arbitration.

19. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

I'm puzzled you don't meet with Chris.

Either he fingers the problem or confirms the car is a lemon.

What do you have to lose?

20. KittyBoodles

KittyBoodles Ferocious FeLion

IMHO, I like the idea of swapping your Sonata with that of your parents "purchased two weeks prior", in order to see if theirs still gets twice the mileage in this frigid environment. The warm weather in Florida allows higher mpg, so exchanging cars for a test drive might be helpful in determining if it is indeed man or machine or meteorology as the contributing factor.