2012 Ford Focus automatic in LA this weekend...

Discussion in 'Ford' started by xcel, Feb 5, 2011.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Man, when it rains, it pours :(

My reply:

2. xcel

Re: 2012 Ford Focus w/ a stick in LA this weekend...

Hi All:

Just received the following regarding how serious it was:
    Wayne

3. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Better someone else than you. Remember the HCHII!

4. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

Yeah, no encore performances! :)

5. xcel

Hi All:

Making my way to that Focus one way or the other... Flying out of Milwaukee to O'Hare to LA when I live closer to Milwaukee seems kind of nuts but tickets are less expensivce that way :confused:

[​IMG]

Sitting at the gate waiting to board with my laptop and running of my WiFi Hotspot. Have you heard how much I really love this thing ;)

With all of these low 40 mpg Cruze ECO reviews while on thew I5 between LA and San Diego being uploaded, I guess I will be defending Ford's honor with the 12 Focus with its 6-speed AT on the same road tonight and tomorrow. My guess is the Focus will stomp the Cruze but who knows until its time to drive ;)

Wayne

6. xcel

Hi All:

Well I made it out to LA and here is the new baby ;)

2012 Ford Focus Sedan w/ AT

[​IMG]
    As I picked it up from the parking garage.​

Wayne

7. xcel

Hi All:

And a little bit about the Focus. As you can tell, it’s the sedan, it’s the AT and it has every performance addition added to it available. The 18” Alloys look cool as all get out and while at the station topping her off, a guy with a blinged Escalade said, “That car looks really sharp! I have not seen one in CA yet.” I told him a bit about the car including the first 25-miles from LAX provided 48.2 mpgUS (per the aFCD) and with the low profile 18” and its 160 HP on tap, it was very responsive.

And the 18” wheels with the Michelin Pilot Sports 3. Cool, yes. See the pic. Handling improvement, most certainly. I can bet it pulls .85 g’s on the skidpad if not more! I will find an empty parking lot tomorrow to find out about that. Fuel efficient, probably not :(

I guess the item of note here is the previous 2,400 + miles have very been hard miles as the corners and the front centers are all torn up. Typical C&D type journalists have beat the hell out of the poor thing :( I will take a close up of them tomorrow in the light.

Ford is finally using a first rate proximity key Entry/Lock and Start solution. No more of the Key pad non-sense. And it is cycles fast too! Way to go Ford!

Bluetooth picked up my phone with the easy pairing. Sony radio has everything from Sirius to HD and everything in between. Ford’s latest NAVI is its usual “Best in Class” and one that others should emulate.

Power seat adjustability is good other than the seat height has a slight tilt to the front when it is being raised.

There are so many controls on the wheel for everything it will take a bit to get used to but they have tactile differences with angles and sizes so that would not take long to master.

Throttle tip in is definitely performance oriented. You touch and it runs. A soft touch takes about 5-minutes to master but there is a lot of ponies available.

FAS’ing on the move. Not really as everything shuts down and when you boot up to Acc, everything is live but you are dead stick until you slightly depress the brake before you can restart via the Push Button Start.

Gearing… It has 6-speeds and is pushing 2K nearing 50 mph. It has so much power and it is wasted in 5th and 6th. Most of the other journalists commenting on it are saying the AT hunts trying to keep in 6th. Well, they have way to heavy of a foot then as this lighter car has the same power output of my Award winning 05 Accord in a lighter platform and it will hunt if you are way to deep into the throttle. WTF is the matter with some of those others anyway?

No iFCD to go along with the sharp looking aFCD and the Focus could really use it to.

Ford’s Capless refueling is unfortunately “Fail”. Just like the Fusion Hybrid, I filled to first click and fuel is dripping out from underneath the car. This is at a CA station with the smog control pumps. First clicks should not have Gas pouring anywhere but into the tank :ccry:

To go along with that, I traveled about 35-miles from the parking garage and somebody filled up before that yet I could only fill .4 gallons before the first click. Hmmm ;)

I have about 80-miles to San Diego and turn around for another top off fill to calibrate the SG-II and the Focus’ aFCD.

I have not yet chosen a place to stay tonight so I have that to do as well so will catch up in a few.

Wayne

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

A test of an AT is a good thing but shame it's a sedan.

*Sigh*

Seems like you're getting some good numbers out of it*. Looks like their dual-clutch system could be a big winner. :)

* Well, obviously you'll get good numbers, but you could be getting some really good numbers.

9. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Was hoping it'd be the hatch. Regardless, this car should give a good indication of what the new Focus platform offers and is capable of.

10. FSUspectra

Man, that is a hot looking car! :) Can't wait to see your numbers, Wayne!

11. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Most wear on the outside edges can be attributed to lower tire pressures.
    I found that out when I was running door sticker on my old Volvo wagon.
    Went from door sticker at 30 psi up to 36 psi and wear issues vanished.

Good luck.

Al

12. xcel

Hi All:

Finished up a decent but not overwhelming first FE drive early this morning and while I still have to get some steady state numbers and complete the odometer study, we have a RT baseline in 48 to 57 degree F temps.

In addition to last night’s detail, the Ford’s NAVI is loaded with info (still have not tried to find an elevation function) and voice commands are a dream. I really liked the Lane Assist graphics. Easier to understand than either Garmin’s or TomTom’s implementation on smaller portables.

[​IMG]
    Ford’s NAVI.​

The drive from Costa Mesa, CA to San Diego and back to LA provided the following:

[​IMG]
    185.0 miles – 47.0 mpgUS per the Focus aFCD and 55.6 mpgUS per the uncalibrated SG-II.​

At the fill… 3.817 gallons at the third click. I should have only went two clicks (3.6x gallons) as that is when the first bit of fuel appeared under the car :(

185.0/3.65 gallons = 50.68 mpgUS.

[​IMG]

While 50.6 is ok for 48 to 57 degree temps, those 18's do not allow glides to extend. Turning performance is top of the class but it sure takes away from the FE capabilites when gliding down the many hills of I-5 between LA and San Diego and back. Because of the inability to FAS due to the dead stick conditions other than for the few miles of city stop lights in and around Costa Mesa, Fuel consumption was way up as well. We really need the stick and some base wheels without the rear spoiler and hot looking 18’s ;)

Overall, the car is so vastly improved over the old Focus it is not worth talking about. Regarding the competition, the 11 Elantra sedan has a slightly better exterior appearance compared to the base Focus but add the 18" alloys, the Titanium trim and the Focus edges it out. The 11 Cruze is going to be a dated looking C-segment car within 2-years by comparison to these two heavyweights.

Interior wise, the Ford Amenities and what I really like, the robust leather wrapped wheel and clear controls are kick@$$. I like the Elantra’s wheel control integration slightly better however. The Cruze does not belong with these two in this regard. Where I think the 11 Cruze has a lead is the plastics. It would be 11 Cruze first, 11 Elantra second and the Focus third. That is the only interior attribute that the 11 Cruze has the advantage imho.

Rear seat room, 11 Elantra with a rear seat headroom issue and 12 Focus in that order. The Cruze is just dead last but has about as much rear seat room as a B-Segment Yaris or Fiesta.

Radio? As described previously, HD Radio, Sirus and SYNC w/ MyFord Touch are "Best in Class". In addition, the sound quality is really good as well. While we focus on the fuel misers, only the Mark Levinson in the Lexus' and the BMW high end radio systems are better sounding. I listened to one of my 90's favorites (Cranberries - Dreams) and it was so good, you are not going to find much better in any vehicle at this price point let alone double or even triple!

About the 12 Focus’ 6-Speed AT, I did feel some early rougher upshifts when around town from first to second and second to third but not on the highway. In addition, the DI 2.0L is so strong that running at 1,250 R’s anywhere does not bother it at all. That is something that cannot be said for most C-Class competitors although I have not driven the 11 Cruze but 10-miles and have yet to drive the 11 Elantra.

From a performance standpoint, I doubt the 11 Elantra and its lighter weight could touch the HP on tap in the 12 Focus. The 11 Cruze is a heavyweight with less power so it is in trouble from the get go.

ALS, the tires were at door spec which of course causes exactly what we are talking about. This car was beat up by the Journalists at the short lead unfortunately. I know that is what they are supposed to do but still, I would never subject a Press Vehicle to that kind of driving except for the two fast turns at declining speed and radius in an empty parking lot as we always do. These tires look like they got miles of that kind of wear and it only has 2,400 miles on it :(

Wayne

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  13. xcel

Hi All:

The 60 mph CC run is complete. See below. As temps are much warmer, the Focus is really waking up.

Over 35 miles from the I-5 S to the I-10 W to the Pacific Coast Highway in temps from 81 down to 63 degrees F, the Focus was at 62 mpgUS while working LA’s own variant of the Slice and Dice over 35 miles. Hit the stop and go of the Pacific Coast Highway and she falls like a rock. I can maintain 50 mpg in stop and go if I am careful with lights but a non-Hybrid AT is only going to frustrate you in city traffic :(

I wish I would have completed the LA to San Diego drive today in the warmer temps as it would be more indicative of its capabilities.

[​IMG]
    43.2 mpg at 60 mph w/ CC. ~ 46 mpgUS actual ​

The Focus' DI 2.0L has more than enough power to drive at 60 mph at 1,750 RPM vs. the 2,200 + it does run at :ccry:

Sitting at a McDonald's in Malibu, CA overlooking the Pacific if you can believe it. All the while the game is about to begin. I unfortunately have work to do with getting some pics of the Focus along the coast when I find a decent location.

Wayne

14. xcel

Hi All:

The Tires…

[​IMG]
    Michelin Pilot Sports with only 2,400 miles on them :(

Wayne

15. xcel

Hi All:

Tell me which of the next 5 shots you like best?

[​IMG]
    Focus and the Pacific I

[​IMG]
    Focus and the Pacific w/ Malibu in the background II

[​IMG]
    Focus and the Pacific III

[​IMG]
    Focus and the Pacific w/ Malibu in the background IV

[​IMG]
    Focus and the Pacific V ​

Wayne

16. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

I think IV

17. xcel

Hi All:

[​IMG]
    The Profile​

Wayne

18. xcel

Hi All:

I thought the front wheel pic was nice and the Ford logo on the Cap even cooperated ;)

[​IMG]
    Not a bad looking pic.

[​IMG]
    Sunset over the Pacific and time to leave :(

[​IMG]
    51.0 mpgUS per the OEM aFCD or 54 actual from the I-10/I405 to Fountain Valley, CA just off the 405.​

When it is warm, 55 + mpg can be achieved but below 70 degrees F and it gets tougher and tougher :(

Seatbelts have a folded web vs. a chincy plastic add-on to keep the buckles from falling to the floor.

I am running out of power, more later.

Wayne

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  19. FSUspectra

I think I like photo II the best.

20. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Like photo IV, Malibu in the background looks nice. Wayne, where did you find the Elantra beat the Focus in rear seat room? I'm wondering that if it was headroom, if the 5-door Focus would fare better.