Will car sales rebound to salvage U.S. ethanol targets?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by msantos, Dec 29, 2010.

1. msantos

msantos Eco Accelerometrist

[​IMG] Last ditch attempt by Senator Dianne Feinstein and others to end the subsidies

[FIMG=LEFT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/ethanol-fueling-b.jpg[/FIMG]Jeff Rubin - THEGLOBEANDMAIL - 2010, Dec 29

It all depends where the pain threshold is, does it not. Can anyone remember what 2008 was like? ;) --Ed.

Just as the fiscal crisis sweeping through the major oil-consuming nations of the world is cutting funding for green energy, one of the most expensive yet least efficient of green fuels, corn-based ethanol, has been given another year of generous taxpayer support in the United States.

The promotion of corn-based ethanol has been America’s principal policy response to its growing dependence on ever more costly foreign oil. Fuelled by a federal tax credit of 45 cents (U.S.) per gallon and a crippling 54 cent per gallon tariff against competing Brazilian sugar-based ethanol, U.S. ethanol production has grown exponentially over the course of the last decade to around 12 billion gallons (45.4 billion liters) per year in 2010. And it’s targeted to grow to as much as 36 billion gallons by 2022. Food inflation, particularly with respect to corn prices, has moved in step. Thanks in large measure to ethanol demand, ... [RM]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/commentary/jeff-rubins-smaller-world/will-car-sales-rebound-to-salvage-us-ethanol-targets/article1851164/[/RM]
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

You know, it could be I'm a very sane person.

That is, if the definition of sane is to have a long fuse, be slow to react, stable, not easily alarmed, and so on.

I've been hearing about ethyl alcohol being added to gasoline, for some decades now. I remember a bad reaction a previous carburetted Accord of ours had to Mohawk "green" gas in the 1980's.

In the last year or so Chevron pumps have started sporting stickers saying "May contain up to 10% ethanol". Except for their most expensive, highest octane, which has a sticker saying "contains no ethanol". I still keep pumping the regular...

But maybe I'm starting to lose my ethanol sanity. I've been reading up a very little bit. Getting a glimmer that maybe there's long term detriment to engines, from a steady diet of ethanol laced gas.

Also interesting that ethanol mixes are legislated, that gas companies have to add certain amounts. They have to be less than a certain max percent, but apparently they can shuffle the amounts added to various octanes, and typically they add more to the lower octanes. Shell and Chevron, for two, exclude ethanol from their highest octanes.

Considering the higher octanes are much more expensive, and apparently not needed for the majority of lower compression engines, frustrating.

Even maddening ;)
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  3. Well... when it comes to our government, they'd much rather give a trillion or two to the super-rich bankers than fund science.