5 Reasons Electric Cars Will Disappoint

Discussion in 'General' started by Damionk, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Damionk

Damionk DWL Lover

2. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Interesting. Apparently this fellow has never seen luxury vehicles used just for commuting, multi-car households, or battery recycling centers. Let's see.. that's 3 of his 5 complaints. The remaining two boil down to "Nobody is interested" and "Familiar is more comfortable?"

Wow. :rolleyes:

3. Damionk

Damionk DWL Lover

My thoughts exactly Sean, as I recall the Leaf has 30,000 orders already. Meaning his "Nobody is interested" theory is out the window.

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

*Sigh*

Interesting note: the original RAV4 EV had an MSRP of $42,000.

5. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

The cost and limited range are good points-the other points aren't.

In respect to cost of BP-those costs will certainly go down-maybe waaay down.
    On the plus side-They run on PURE MADE IN USA energy-coal natural gas wind hydro-and we used to produce our own nuclear fuel-not sure where it comes from now.

In respect to range-VOLT and plug in Prius-both solve the range problem while keeping most of the electric benefits. Granted they cost a bit, but lots of folks pay well over $35,000 for cars,so...big deal. The PO of my Suburban paid $35,000 for it in 1998-people pay plenty of $$ for cars.

6. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Anyone wonder why we don't read articles like: 5 reasons Flex-fuel vehicles will disappoint? ;)

7. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Let me write that one now...

1. They're the same cars as non-flex fuel vehicles, providing little to no difference.
    2. Most are fueled by regular gas anyway.
    3. They allow automakers a bonus on their CAFE mileage, reducing incentive to actually improve vehicle mileage.
    4. They're fueled by corn ethanol and our tax dollars.
    5. They encourage policy changes like the one proposing 15% ethanol.

bonus. I'll recycle two entries from the original article.

8. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

He makes a good case for why EVs will not be adopted universally tomorrow. He fails to account for a small fraction of a very large population (read: plenty of people) that can both afford, care about, and benefit from current technology. It's also dumb to assume that this is the best there is to be had. There are enough improvements on the horizon to believe that EVs can become relatively main-stream within the next decade. So what if it doesn't happen right now?

9. 50 mpg by 2012

50 mpg by 2012 Well-Known Member

FOURTH GENERATION nuclear reactors are an interesting case.

Generally they CONSUME nuclear residue (1,000s of tons in storage within the US I have been told) that are left over as "waste" from the US nuclear weapons program during the "Cold War".

These technologies are generally safer and have significanly lower demand for water.

Some examples are the - molten salt core fission and Polywell fusion reactors. These types of reactors could be modular and mass produced. They are also less costly than traditional US nuclear plants. There is one design that generates 75 MW costs about $35 million (including fuel for 8~10 years) and fits on 1 acre including the generators.

Changing directions ...

The problem with plug-ins is thermal emissions (CO2 is NOT a reliable measure of EV efficiency when nuclear comes into play).

It appears that thermal emissions resulting from an EV that provides 3 miles/1kWh and traveling 15k/year will result in a release of roughly:

48,465,909 Btu/year when 100% powered by coal power

32,229,830 Btu/year when 50% coal and 50% renewable powered

That is enough heat from a SINGLE vehicle to melt somewhere between 168 and 112 tons of ICE annually.

Best guess nuclear would be about 42,200,000 Btu/year primarily due to higher efficiency, possibly up to 70%.

A QUESTION ... IF ... the EV is powered by a renewable source ... say solar ... would that result in a net thermal grain to the environment?

Forum members thoughts would be appreciated ....