Kia Optima Hybrid introduced – market entry in early 2011

Discussion in 'Kia' started by Right Lane Cruiser, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

[​IMG] The car employs a 3.4 kW lithium polymer battery array developed in partnership with LG Chem.

[FIMG=RIGHT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2011_Kia_Optima.jpg[/FIMG]Anthony Lim - PAULTAN - November 19, 2010

Kia steps into the game with a facelifted Sonata Hybrid. Which vehicle has a more appealing appearance? --Ed.

et another joins the hybrid ranks, and this one is from Korean automaker Kia. The company introduced its new Kia Optima Hybrid Sedan at the 2010 LA Auto Show, and the vehicle is slated to make its US market debut early next year.

It’s equipped with a parallel hybrid system, where a 2.4 litre Theta II Atkinson cycle petrol engine is mated to a small electric motor and drives the front wheels via a six-speed automatic transmission, without the traditional torque converter.

The car’s 30kW Interior Permanent Magnet (IPM) synchronous electric motor – described by Kia engineers as a Transmission-Mounted-Electric-Drive (TMED) – sits within the car’s extended transmission casing between the petrol engine and the automatic gearbox, and is the world’s first oil-cooled system.

A special clutch is fitted between the engine and motor, enabling the petrol engine to be de-coupled from the powertrain so that Optima can be... [RM]http://paultan.org/2010/11/19/kia-optima-hybrid-introduced-market-entry-in-early-2012/[/RM]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2010
  2. EVuser

EVuser Well-Known Member

3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I like this look, except for the grille. I think they should have left the KIA in the middle, instead of moving it up above the opening. It looks like something is missing.

Previous version on the Forte:
    [​IMG]

4. cswee1932

cswee1932 Well-Known Member

Not a bad looking car at all...although it looks like a cross between a Saab and a Taurus in the front, and a new focus in the rear.

I still like the way it looks, my civic hybrid has envy I guess :)

Chris

5. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

6. PaleMelanesian

I like those wheels better. I still think the grille looks like the KIA badge fell off.

[​IMG]

7. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

hmmm, I don't mind the placement of the badge, I dunno, seems to give a cleaner look. Then again, the Kia Soul I was involved in purchasing didn't have the kia badge in the middle.

8. SD3_Driver

SD3_Driver Well-Known Member

looks nice.... for me is not about looks (for now).. it is about fe....

9. PaleMelanesian

Between this and the Sonata hybrid, though, it is about looks. (and price...)

10. aca2983

aca2983 Well-Known Member

Way better looking than Sonata, and the interior is Saab-like. Kia is definitely going places.

11. rossbro

rossbro Well-Known Member

Aren't Kia and Hyundai the same company? ? ?

12. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

Slightly disappointed at the higher 0.26 Cd of the Optima. I like the grille, but I do agree with Pale - it *does* kind of look like the badge fell off.

Not a dealbreaker though. :)