Chevrolet Volt: 2011 Motor Trend Car of the Year

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by msirach, Nov 16, 2010.

?

Do you agree with MotorTrend Volt is Car of the Year?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Car of the future that you can drive today!

[FIMG=RIGHT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2011_Chevrolet_Volt_in_San_Francisco.jpg[/FIMG]Angus Mackenzie - MOTORTREND - November 16, 2010

It is the season of automotive awards. What will the tally be when summer 2011 rolls around? Volt, Leaf, Tesla, i-MiEV: Who will be on top? --Ed.

"I expected a science fair experiment. But this is a moonshot."
    Chris Theodore is a wily veteran of the auto business, a seasoned development engineer whose impressive resume includes vehicles as thoughtfully executed as the Chrysler minivan and as tightly focused as the Ford GT.

As one of the consultant judges on this year's COTY panel, Chris brought the deep insight and professional skepticism you'd expect of someone who's spent his entire working life making cars. But our 2011 Car of the Year, Chevrolet's ground-breaking Volt, has blown him away.

"This is a fully developed vehicle with seamlessly integrated systems and software, a real car that provides a unique driving experience. And commuters may never need to buy gas!"

... [RM]http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/car/1101_2011_motor_trend_car_of_the_year_chevrolet_volt/index.html[/RM]

2. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Opened a poll.

After I voted spontaneously, started to think the Leaf should have gotten it.

Thoughts?

3. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

I think the Leaf should have gotten it.

4. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

BTW, I mirrored the same poll question on the Leaf article for today.

I think it's safe that both the Volt and the Leaf will be significant footnotes in automotive history...neither is a bad choice, but which is better?

5. msirach

It would be a tough decision but I think the Volt is the winner for car of the year not EV of the year. To me the most complete definition of "car" would be an automobile that could replace your AMC Gremlin, Malibu, or Taurus that is in your driveway now. Range should be a determining factor. 100 miles will cover well over 75% of an average American's daily commute.

Typical consumer driving patterns:
    Weekday.
    Less than 50 miles = 72.4%
    5-10 miles = 26.5%

Weekend.
    Less than 50 miles = 66.3%
    20-29 miles = 23.5%

My daily commute to work is 98.6 miles. I would be limited to driving straight back home using the same route. With the Volt, I could probably make it to work and still have a few miles EV range left. If my wife called to meet her in Marion, IL for dinner, it would add 23 miles to my trip and I could not drive the Leaf unless I was able to plug-in at work. In the Volt, I could hop in and drive to Marion and back home.

For this reason, I would vote for the Volt instead of the Leaf. Many Americans want to compare to what they are driving today without limitations.

6. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

I think if you look at each from an objective perspective, it would seem the volt doesn't do too well for most consumers in providing electric range during city traveling, and at the same time it doesn't provide astounding gas mileage in cs mode to really get this idea to market. It's similar to the CR-Z in that it's not clear-cut. It doesn't really do either one of it's functions extremely well. It's really a wait and see game.

The Leaf on the other hand is a no-frills, straight up, definite answer to the question. You want no localized emissions? Here's no localized emissions. For the majority of driving and those extra trips, every consumer will have enough charge to run around.

For the Volt, GM should have gone with the 100 miles aer and sell this alongside the cruze. If they really, really wanted to make the Volt super successful. Enable the car to drive in electric-only mode and gas-only mode where each method of propulsion can individually propel the vehicle. This would allow the consumer to choose electric mode of say, possibly 100 miles aer, and in gas mode for long trips, 400 miles easily with the engine in the Cruze and tank at only 10 gallons

Think about it, Imagine the Cruze with say an additional 750 lbs and the additional electric range and overall cruising range. That's a 500 +mile range in the hands of some regular "Joe". The eco cruze comes in at $19k. At $600/kwh, (Gm claims it's nowhere near $1000 per kwh, so this might be off a bit) that's $14,400. Add on $6,600 for additional tooling for things to fit etc. That's still $39k. This is essentially two cars in one, so hello there, Price it for the cost of a leaf plus a vehicle with high fuel efficiency, and you can tag this as still affordable at $45k.

7. killer6795

killer6795 MazdaMiser

LEAF wasn't in the running, probably because it isn't officially available to the consumer yet. If it was in the running, the results may have been different. I voted yes on the question above, especially when you see the fsp's it was competing with. Anything to gain publicity of alternative vehicles is a good thing. Maybe the LEAF will win it next year....

8. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

The Leaf, or even a shorter-range EV, would fill my needs. 23 miles round trip commute, some days with lunch errands for another 10 miles, sometimes out in the evening for music practice for another 20, totaling 53 miles on my busiest days.

We never take the Civic out of town anyway, so it's already for commuting-only duty.

9. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

If I were in the market right now, my commute would be at the upper-end of the Leaf's range.

I'm going to beat EcoModder to this suggestion: fit a boattail on the Leaf and put an efficient 1-liter generator in it. :D

10. chilimac02

chilimac02 Bible Professor & Minister

How can it be car of the year when:
    1) year has not started yet
    2) car is not sold yet
    3) nobody will buy them because they are soooo expensive.

11. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

I voted YES, its priced right for a lease not purchase :Banane41:

12. msirach

It is estimated that most of the Leaf purchases will be lease deals as well as mostly lease deals on the Volt. The $7500 federal tax credit is not an immediate discount off of the purchase price. It would be the following year when income taxes are filed that the money would come back. Can all purchasers afford to sit on $7500 floating in the pocket of the government.

13. msirach

1)Production model year 2011 has started.
    2)1st Volt owner has his car.
    3)Same as answer #2:D

14. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

I voted for the Leaf. I consider the Leaf more of a game changer, though I would make the Volt a very close second.

I still don't understand why the Volt was considered and the Leaf wasn't. Both vehicles had their first deliveries to consumers this week.

15. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

I'm having trouble deciding. It's a simple idea - switch the electric mode to it's primary propulsion and supplement with gasoline. In fact, I'd say it's actually more logical that way. Plus, it has nice lines outside, is a fine-driving car, and you can plug it in. But it's hamstrung by that MSRP...as a proof of concept it's wonderful, but practically speaking, $41k will limit its use.

16. msirach

I agree with the $41+k price being too high. If manufacturers want EV technology to become more mainstream, they will have to keep the sale price at a much more reasonable price. The $379 lease price is going to be the savior on that point.

17. hogrod

hogrod Member

I'm actually surprised at all the people that like the Leaf. I could never buy a car that would leave me stranded if the battery got to low. At least with the Volt once the battery is drained I can make it home.

With the leaf you can't use the car for anything other than your daily commute, I would need a second car just to drive on weekends when I put on 300+ miles a day travelling to see family.

Am I missing something? Guess everyone else has no problems with this severe limitation. :confused:

18. msirach

The Leaf is not the car for a single car family. It should be used as a second car. The majority of Americans commute less than 50 miles a day and that is what it is designed for.

19. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

You meant "I".

My commute is 41.4 miles round trip. My wife's is 40 to 42 round trip.
    Just commuting is 10,000 miles per year.

We sometimes do a 76 mile round trip to friends, usually at the weekend.
    My wife does a 40-45 mile round trip once a week in the evening. (Probably not doable unless the Barnes & Noble she often goes to gets a charger)
    We sometimes do a 40-odd mile round trip to go out to eat. If it's longer, it's too long for a LEAF. Again, we'd need a charger in the right place.

Then add in a few miles per week for errands.

I calculated we could put in 13,500 miles in a LEAF. You might not make best use of it but I think we could*. But that's the point: different people have different needs. To hit their 1 million target the LEAF doesn't have to meet everybody's needs.

* If only we had a usable garage and my wife didn't have range anxiety. ;)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  20. msirach

People are losing sight of the fact that most households have two or more cars. If you need to travel daily in the range of the Volt in EV and occasionally need to drive over the EV range, it could be a good solution for 1 vehicle.

If you need to drive 100 miles or more per day. DON't buy a Volt or a Leaf.

An EV will probably NEVER be efficient time wise to on a long range road test.