2011 Scion tC has youth appeal

Discussion in 'In the News' started by atlaw4u, Nov 11, 2010.

1. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Gas mileage, whether using the six-speed manual or six-speed automatic, is 23 mpg in the city and 31 on the highway.

[FIMG=RIGHT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2011_Scion_tC.jpg[/FIMG]Scott Burgess - DETNEWS - November 11, 2010

The 2011 Scion tC is a young man's car.

It's inexpensive, has a great stereo and requires agility to hop into the back seat. No one over 40 should ever try getting back there for fear of dislocating a hip.

Beefed up for its second run as the sports coupe of Toyota's youth brand, the tC may still be a young man's car, but it has matured. It's more powerful, more dynamic and still the best-looking Scion in the three-vehicle stable.

However, when looking at the sharply angled subcompact xD or the bloated (and top-selling) xB, the tC almost wins by default.

For less than $20,000, the tC provides a solid ride, plenty of room for a growing boy racer and a cool quotient few other vehicles have at that price.

For slightly older drivers like me, the tC falls closer to the side of cheap than inexpensive luxury. But that has always been the point of Scion — the only brand in America that doesn't trust anyone over 30 — it's also the youngest brand in America, making Scions icons of sort.

The exterior follows the young man's profile... [RM]http://www.detnews.com/article/20101111/OPINION03/11110378/1148/auto01/2011-Scion-tC-has-youth-appeal[/RM]

2. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

And the 2003 Celica GTS had a 1.8L pushing 180HP out. Why did they go so far BACKWARD in engine development? The idle fuel consumption of that 2.5L has to be WAY higher than the Celica's 1.8.

Unless they're expecting the aftermarket groups to boost it into the stratosphere, like the did with the Supra?

3. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

They always have one on the showroom floor at my dealer. I like the looks of the car and the layout of the interior. The only down side to the car, the fuel mileage is a real disappointment. It needs at least another four to five mpg in the city and on the highway.

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

I was fortunate to drive an 11 Tc w/ a stick out for a 15-mile Chicago City and Highway RT last month. FAS's do not update the aFCD so it was strictly NICE-On's where appropriate and shut down at 6 + second lights.

[​IMG]

Not sure what it could really do but it did have a decent stereo, some really interesting seats in that not one no matter where in the world it will be purchased will have the same design in the cloth. The front driver’s seat has a mechanical memory feature to come back to its original position after the poor bastard gets both in and out of the back. Claustrophobic in the back was more like it.

The stick was geared way to low. 2,500 at 60 if IIRC and such a waste as the Corolla XRS pulled higher FE at 60 than the Tc did. Measured by watching the aFCD and it held steady at 44.7 to 45 mpg the entire highway run before the long glide on a local off-ramp.

And I could not find my notes just a few days afterwards so that is about it :(

Wayne