Kia surprises at SEMA with Forte propane hybrid

Discussion in 'Kia' started by Right Lane Cruiser, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

[​IMG] The lithium-polymer battery packs implemented on this concept are already used on the 2011 Hyundai Sonata hybrid.

[FIMG=RIGHT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2010_Kia_Forte.jpg[/FIMG]Colin Bird - USATODAY - November 3, 2010

A propane powered vehicle is certainly not familiar to the public. Would you drive one? --Ed.

Among the slew of customized vehicles that Kia revealed yesterday at the SEMA show in Las Vegas, one was a surprise: the Forte hybrid concept. The hybrid powertrain includes a 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine that operates on propane and is coupled to an electric hybrid system, which uses lithium-polymer batteries.

Liquid propane can be used to power internal combustion engines just like gasoline, but LPG spews fewer toxins and smog-forming pollutants into the air, according to the Energy Department. It's also less expensive than gasoline.

The Kia Forte hybrid concept also features lightweight alloy wheels and low-rolling-resistance tires. Exterior and interior updates include body panel enhancements and a lowered stance; interior updates include a 1,200-watt stereo.

The likelihood of a propane-powered hybrid coming to the market seems slim:

There are currently no bifuel propane vehicles on sale and little infrastructure to support it. However, Hyundai did unveil a similar LPG hybrid system for the Elantra that featured lithium-polymer batteries two years ago in... [RM]http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/11/kia-surprises-at-sema-with-forte-propane-hybrid-/1[/RM]

2. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Administrator Staff Member

I thought CNG was only really available in a few states for passenger car use?

3. Jough96Accord

Jough96Accord 1996 Honda Accord 2.2l 5spd

Their talking about propane, not CNG. Where I live real propane is hard to find, you mostly get a mix of CNG, propane, air and butane. I wonder how well that would work.

4. bomber991

bomber991 Well-Known Member

5. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Barbecue bottle gas, also used for gas appliances.. its a liquid under mild pressure and delivered by truck here in Miami.. a byproduct of refining oil. An excellent fuel for cars or generators.

6. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

Propane is fairly easy to get where I live. My grandpa's house was heated with it. There is a place less than 10 miles from my house that fills propane and another one ~15 miles away. Hmm.:)

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

People use propane heating around here.

Although LPG takes more energy to produce, but is denser than CNG, so vehicles using it can have a longer range. In part of the East Midlands area of the UK there's reasonable infrastructure for it and there are certainly a few taxis running it. LPG is the popular low-tax fuel for conversions.

8. herm

herm Well-Known Member

The thing about CNG is the compressed part that worries me.. the part I like about it if its piped to your house and you could compress it yourself for your car.. hmmm that I like!

How about this?: burn some of the NG in a small engine, drive the compressor with it.. use the engine's exhaust heat and the compressor's heat of compression for your hot water needs.. the other other thing that worries me is that those high pressure compressors need maintenance. Naa give me an electric please.

The small Honda co-generation appliances are pretty cool also.

Propane takes more energy to make than CNG?.. I thought it was a waste product (but a useful one) of the oil and gas industry.

I have not checked in a while but I dont think you actually save any money running propane in your vehicle... perhaps for fleets only. Its popular in S Florida for emergency generators since the fuel never goes bad.

9. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

Several years ago, our gas/electric provider started offering a unit that was basically a small engine powered by NG. If I remember right, it was connected to an electric generator. However, I have not heard anything about it lately so I wonder if maybe it didn't take off and they discontinued the program. Hmm, sounds like the topic for my next Google search.

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Never mind, poor recall.

The PG is a low percentage of the gas mix, which is presumably why its more expensive.

It would seem that LPG would be better for transportation, but people will favor cheaper mains NG, which would then hinder take-up of LPG by those for whom NG would be more expensive.

11. herm

herm Well-Known Member