Video caught Chrysler workers doing drugs and alcohol at lunch: under investigation

Discussion in 'Chrysler' started by Chuck, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

[​IMG] President Obama recently visited the plant to congratulate the work force on its strong work ethic and the quality of the 2011 Grand Cherokee.

[FFLASH=LEFT]http://www.youtube.com/v/8JcXAaORCLQ?fs=1&hl=en_US[/FFLASH]Alisa Priddle - DETNEWS - Sep. 23, 2010

The PR could not come at a worse time. --Ed.

Detroit -- Chrysler Group LLC is continuing to identify workers caught drinking and using drugs during their lunch break before returning to work to build Jeep Grand Cherokees at the Jefferson North plant.

The lunchtime habits of a small group of workers, which included a trip to a party story and then to a public park, were captured on video by WJBK-TV (Channel 2). WJBK was tipped off by concerned workers at the plant.

Chrysler executives are now using the video to identify the workers, a number of whom have already been suspended without pay.... [RM]http://www.detnews.com/article/20100923/AUTO01/9230449/1361/Chrysler-investigating-footage-of-workers-using-drugs--alcohol-at-lunch[/RM]

2. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

Re: Video caught Chrysler workers doing drugs and alcohol at lunch: under investigati

It is really hard for me to invision ever buying an GM or Chrysler product again.

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Re: Video caught Chrysler workers doing drugs and alcohol at lunch: under investigati

The positive spin is that other workers were concerned enough to report the problems but the question is why didn't they report the problems to management?

4. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

If management had been doing their job, they wouldn't of had to notify the media.

GaryG

5. Earthling

Earthling Trying to be kind to Mother Earth

Bunch of losers...

Gas-Hogs-R-Us appears to be circling the drain...good riddance!

Harry

6. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Once upon a time there was a bunch of idiots...

7. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Excellent point.

I'd bet most financially distressed companies would have disciplined the first worker drinking and caught it early....call it survival skills.

8. worthywads

worthywads Don't Feel Like Satan, I am to AAA

I'm sure glad drinking is expected at work in my industry. :D

We stop the bottling/canning line for a sensory evaluation of the beer at the beginning of the day.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  9. RichXKU

RichXKU Mr. Forced Regen

I guess you have to be drunk to build an SUV that handles and brakes as such.

"Hey why is my windshield washer spraying tequila!?"
    "That helps to, uh, clear the ice"

I guess the mudflaps will be replaced with cocktail umbrellas?

10. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Watching that video, I started to chuckle because it reminded me of that old Sheryl Crow song - The one where she sings "I like drinking beer at noon on Tuesday". If I remember correctly, in the same verse (or perhaps the next one), she goes on to prosaically describe a man who enjoys setting his fingers on fire. No evidence of that in the Chrysler video here, so it's not quite a perfect match for me to merge the song and the moving pictures in the hopes of getting a Video Music Award out of it.

11. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

No offense to our assembly line working readers, but I'm pretty sure I'd need to be somehow sedated too (as in "I like a good beer buzz early in the morning") in order to work on one for long. I worked on assembly lines a couple of times as a short term temp when I was in college--it wasn't for me.

Most people aren't suited for the kind of work I do either (I don't know what I'll be doing next month, but I know I'll have to be careful to not get killed.) The economy is bad enough and the pay is high enough that right now I expect there are a lot of auto workers who wish they could afford to quit.

12. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

A related story

In this economy and esp in Michigan, how can anyone take a job for granted?

And one of the Chrysler workers on the video was caught in a newly-purchased Mustang - company loyality?!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Damn, I read it before I realized it was written by Mitch Albom.

14. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

15. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

I'm suprized one member has not raged on this thread...in this instance, it would likely be appropriate. ;)

16. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

not even a peep...

17. GreenBlues

GreenBlues Well-Known Member

I have watched, many times, a group of factory workers going out to their cars at lunch time and wondering how many of them will be feeding their heads. With the alcohol and drug abuse problems that we have in this country, I think it is quite naive to think this is not unfortunately a somewhat common occurrence. Most are just more discrete. And as the one related article suggests, we have somewhat of a double standard when it comes to lunch time ingestion. It is unfortunate that through stupidity, these guys have joined the ranks of the unemployed and that their families will be the ones to suffer. The factory floor is the last place someone impaired should be.

18. Tallswede

Tallswede Member

Wayne, I agree with you completely. I am a Jeep owner and hope these guys didn't build mine. Where I work there is zero tolerance for being impaired on the job. Having a DWI off the job will get you fired. Having had a DWI even many years in the past without disclosing will get you fired. Even if you disclose, you will be barred from certain jobs where I work. These guys should have lost their jobs. I do feel sorry for their families though.

Kevin

19. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

Seriously. I am shocked!;)

20. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

Before I started in the NUKE industry, this kind of thing was going on at NUKE plants! By the time I got in and within a decade, random and for cause drug and alcohol testing removed any hint of that non-sense which was the best thing that could have happened imho.

In the case of Chrysler, I do not know what their internal policies for this kind of shenanigans are but I hope they have imposed a similar drug and alcohol policy. A large manufacturer would be foolish not to at least consider it.

Wayne