The White House won't reinstall Carter era solar panels

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Chuck, Sep 13, 2010.

?

Put solar panels back on the White House?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    89.5%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

[​IMG] Less than 1 percent of Americans heat their water with the sun, but 250 million Chinese do.

[FIMG=LEFT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Whitehouse.jpg[/FIMG]Bill Mckibben - WASHINGTONPOST - Sept 10, 2010

Like the Prius, the Red/Blue banter over the Carter solar panels would probably make redeployment short-lived. --Ed.

...When he dedicated the panels, President Jimmy Carter made a prophecy that, like many oracles, came true in unexpected fashion -- in fact, nothing better illustrates both why the world is heating and why the American economy is falling behind its competitors.

"In the year 2000 this solar water heater behind me will still be here supplying cheap, efficient energy," he said. "A generation from now this solar heater can either be a curiosity, a museum piece, an example of a road not taken, or it can be just a small part of one of the greatest and most exciting adventures ever undertaken by the American people."... [RM]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/09/AR2010090905173.html[/RM]

2. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

I remember standing on a hill in Israel, overlooking the city of Haifa in 1980. Almost every building had a black water tank on the roof. They were not particularly attractive, but were not visible from street level. They probably weren't very high tech. But they probably were not very expensive either, and I guess would last more than a typical water heater used in the US.

They can do it, why can't we?

It's a shame the White House can't lead by example.

3. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

I'd bet the reason the Obama Administration passed on this is the next Republican in the White House would take it down, to which I'd suggest they also get rid of Al Gore's internet. :D

Partisanship to this level is both childish and harming our government.

4. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

I say put them back up in the White House, then roll them out worldwide to government facilities based on apolitical factors like insolation. Not just hot water, but also radiant space heat, where it makes sense (new construction/renovating anyway, for example).

PV costs are coming down, yet still expensive. On the other hand, solar thermal is hard to beat in many areas. PV may be a luxury our budget cannot afford, but at least take the free energy for hot water. This may even bring unit costs down so commercial solar thermal panels are more reasonable compared to do-it-yourself jobs.

See builditsolar.com for excellent stuff on all kinds of solar projects.

5. Gee... a Republican president (Reagan) scrapping renewable energy? Say it ain't so!

6. worthywads

worthywads Don't Feel Like Satan, I am to AAA

I glad the Obama administration has better things to do than get bullied by some attention grabbing clown with a publicity stunt.

7. aca2983

aca2983 Well-Known Member

maybe the should install new ones and not Carter-era ones?

8. GreenBlues

GreenBlues Well-Known Member

9. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

They don't seem to attend to the white house roof much. When we were there in May, There were small trees growing in the gutters. Maybe that was actually CO2 generators?:eek:

10. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

So is it possible the French misquoted Michelle Obama and should have stated the First Lady said "The White House looked like hell?" :D

I might get slapped for getting political.

11. worthywads

worthywads Don't Feel Like Satan, I am to AAA

The author Bill McKibben continues on this campaign. I guess that's what you do when you are the head of a Advocacy Group that needs funds.

He's calling for acts of civil disobedience at the White House now.

"Which is why, with other environmental leaders, we recently issued a call for ideas about a campaign of civil disobedience next spring — at power plants and coal mines but at White Houses too, if they don't turn at least a little green."

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion...en-solar-white-house-20100916,0,7330781.story

12. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

Hmm, sounds like a classic case of saying one thing and doing another as far as energy policy goes?

13. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

I wonder who would get the federal tax credit?:eek:

14. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

I heard the story back in 1981, was the White House roof needed repairs and it was not considered cost-effective to remove then reinstall the solar panels...so it may not have been the picture opportunity to discredit Jimmy Carter as believed.