2011 Explorer On Order

Discussion in '4x4's, SUV's and P/U Trucks' started by GaryG, Aug 11, 2010.

1. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

I ordered the 2011 Explorer Limited FWD V6 today and the dealer said he does not need the XPlan PIN until it arrives. I got the Limited $37190, Rapid Spec 301A $2,000, WHITE PLAT TRI color $495, and TRAILER TOW $570. Retail was $41060, DLR INV was $38626 and X PLAN was $38748.78. After all fees of taxes and tags, retail would have been $43850 and X Plan was $41400. The dealer gave me a $500 credit for ordering and I put down $1000 for an out the door balance of $39900. Hopefully, Ford will offer other incentives by the time it gets here which they estimate about 10 weeks.

I know Wayne, it's a FSP, but don't under estimate Ford. That's a lot of money also, but I work hard to enjoy life when I can. If it helps jobs in the USA, I'm all for that also.

I called Rhonda this afternoon and told her I ordered her a new Explorer and she didn't get mad to my thinking and didn't know my plan today. She said we should have talked it over more, but I could tell this is what she needed and wanted.

We made it to the Keys and back with our '02 Explorer this past week with our entire family and the boat. My oldest son caught the most lobster and we had a fresh family lobster feast at the vacation rental home. Life is good!

GaryG

2. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

I hope the vehicle is everything you expect it to be, Gary! Be sure to take pictures and see what you can pull from that monster with a ScanGauge attached. :)

3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

What is the epa rating for the V6?

4. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Hi Gary, what made you go for the V6 instead of the I4? Towing?

5. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

Thanks Sean

After the 500 mile round trip to the Keys towing my boat loaded down, I realized I needed this monster. Anything smaller with less power would be dangerous to handle and stop fast if needed with my boat. We went through some unexpected bad storms with street flooding on the way home Sunday afternoon which is typical of how things can change fast in the Florida weather. Turns out, a tropical depression was forming near the Keys and is near the BP rigs now. This was one reason I purchased my FEH's because of hurricanes and flooding. I needed the ground clearance to get around and even home at times.

I'll be doing the same thing I've done for years which is trying to recover the MPG loss Rhonda gets during the week driving to work. Her Law Office moved within 5 miles from our home so that's a mileage killer without FAS no matter how you cut it. I'll takes some pictures of the vehicle and the SG readings I get out of her ASAP. Also, I'll try to do all the fill-ups and keep a LMPG log here from the first mile from the factory. I did this with my '09 FEH so the LMPG starts at 0 miles on the lifetime OD reading and each tank goes from there. This time, I'm going to add to the log all maintenance and repair records between tanks for a complete history of the '11 Explorer. Do you guys have a back-up of that data or do I need to copy it every so often?

GaryG

6. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

Hi Andrew and seftonm

The EPA has not certified the MPG of the '11 Explorer yet but I've seen estimates of 28hwy for the EcoBoost 235hp I-4 and 25hwy for the V6. The main reason I went with the new 290hp V6 was towing a max of 5,000 pounds. The EcoBoost I4 is only rated at 2,000 pounds towing and requires premium fuel. They both have a flat tow 6 speed auto but the Limited V6 has the Selectshift manual with the tow package. They both come with a new low drag A/C compressor and electric power steering. I've read articles that claim the new 3.5L V6 is 20 - 25% more efficient than the old 4.0 V6 it is replacing and it might get a 26mpg Hwy EPA rating. I read and posted an article that said the V6 was direct injected but I think that was wrong because specs say it is port injected. Both engines and transaxles have aggressive fuel-cut or DFSO. The V6 is also a ULEV running on 87 octane and I'm betting it has the broadband HO2 sensors to handle E10 like my '09 FEH. Information is still being slowly released from Ford about the 2011 Explorer I think because they want to sell the 2010 models.

GaryG

7. PaleMelanesian

Premium is definitely an item to consider. That 2000 lb rating is troubling me, though. The new 1.6 ecoboost focus, in Europe, is being tested with 3000 lb.

Some nice specs and features. If it's in the FE range of a minivan, that's a welcome departure from the old Explorer. I don't care who makes it or what category they put it in, if it's a more efficient hauler, that's a good thing.

Hyundai had that problem with the Sonata - $2500 cash on the 2010 and people still buy the 2011 model.

8. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Gary, the logs are being backed up nightly.

9. seftonm

Wow, I didn't realize the Ecoboost would require premium. I thought most of them were tuned to run on regular.

Andrew, many vehicles in Europe have higher tow ratings than here. But 2000 lbs is still ridiculously low for a mid-sized SUV. My car is rated to tow that much, although it obviously won't do as good of a job as an Explorer.

10. PaleMelanesian

Many vehicles in Europe actually have a tow rating, while towing with the identical model here will void your warranty. :confused:

11. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

Mike, the V6 Escape is rated to tow 3,500 but after doing some research I backed off going that route. Owners where reporting problems with wind blowing them all over the road with that heavy of a load. Even with my '02 Explorer 7,100lb tow cap. I was having to stand on the brake pedal in order to come to a stop in time when traffic lights change to red. I don't want trailer brakes for this 18.5 foot boat because of maintenance problems with the salt water.

My big worry with this 2011 Explorer is the transaxle being HD enough. Entering some of these highways here require some hard acceleration to merge into traffic. I had transmission problems towing this same boat with an old V6 Explorer trailer tow package. I drive much slower these days and you can bet I'll baby this Explorer so I should be okay.

Normally, I like to over kill when it comes to rated tow cap. but I need to look at fuel efficiency when not towing. Also, you need that heavy weight to pull that boat from those steep slippery ramps at low tide. I always get limited-slip on the rear wheels but with this 2011 FWD Explorer, it's not available. Should not be a problem where it's dry normally at the front of the vehicle and you have the engine and transaxle weight. The 2011 V6 FWD also comes with the lowest 1st gear of all the other 2011 Explorers so that should help also.

You can always tell a disaster waiting to happen when you see a small vehicle towing too big of a boat heading for a steep ramp at low tide.

GaryG

12. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

I wouldn't worry about the transaxle holding up. It's the Ford-flavored edition of the same unit used in GM's Traverse/Outlook/Acadia/Enclave, and they are rated up to 5200 pounds with the trailer towing package. So Ford's rating mirrors GM's rating with the same basic gearbox.

What kills the automatics is excessive heat. Especially in today's "sealed for life" transmissions, where fluid can still degrade due to overheating even as owners think it simply "never needs changing". As long as you don't enjoy prolonged and excessive wheelspin or stalling the converter, it will hold up just fine. Remember that stalling the converter, such as can happen when trying to pull a trailer or even the car over a steep curb or other impediment, is ok for a short burst, but not for more than five seconds at a time. Keep is stalled for too long and the fluid will get *very* hot *very* quickly.

With today's computer controlled automatics, you will find the new Explorer will be somewhat eager to downshift while keeping the converter locked (and much cooler in operation). Transaxle temperature sensors help to minimize overheating by changing the shift behavior if the fluid starts to get too hot.

Stay within the rated tow capacity and you will find that the new Volvo-wagon-based Explorer is pretty sturdy and able to perform well within that rated capability.

13. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

I'm feeling better about the transaxle after some more research.

The other thing I've been curious about is the new Ford variable-displacement A/C Compressor. Its been hard for me to locate information with regard to the new compressor but I stumbled on this today:

"The midsize Explorer gets the automaker's first North American application of a variable-displacement air-conditioning compressor. On the V6 application, the compressor is controlled internally, while the I4's compressor uses external control, according to Frank Fusco, Chief Functional Engineer for Climate Control at Ford.

Denso designed the base compressor and collaborated with Ford engineers on vehicle integration. According to Chris Rainey, Manager of Compressor Engineering, Thermal Group at Denso International America, "The compressor (on the V6) is powered by the engine accessory drive belt, same as the current Explorer, and has an internal valve that adjusts the compressor displacement to match the a/c cooling load requirements and improve fuel efficiency."

In contrast, the externally controlled I4 application "allows the vehicle to 'tell' the compressor how hard to work. This gives Ford engineers much more control of overall power management for fuel economy and a/c control. The external controlled compressor does require significant software and electronics improvements/additions compared to traditional compressors," noted Rainey."
    http://www.sae.org/mags/sve/8609/

No matter what, my wife Rhonda is going to run the A/C and she expects me to have it ON when she is riding in the vehicle. With up to seven passengers, I can't see shutting the A/C OFF either when it's above 76F here in South Florida. I'm hoping this A/C compressor will solve some of the MPG hit she normally gets.

GaryG

14. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

Regarding the 2.0L EcoBoosted engines... There may be a small problem internal to Ford US with this displacement as the promised 11 Ford Edge with the 2.0L EcoBoost has not appeared and the 11 Explorer with the 2.0L may not be ready at time of launch either? The premium item being bantered about is probably not going to be the case as the CR for the Explorer with the 2.0 is just 9.3:1. Even with a turbo, Premium fuel should not be needed at that level of Compression. Of course HP and thermodynamic efficiency will fall with the drop but the output is still stated as 237 HP peak.

From the past News we have posted on the 2.0L EcoBoost, the Explorer should have touched 30 mpg highway but the latest is that it should match a V6 Camry at 19/28.

I have always liked the look of the Edge but only until we reported the inclusion of the 2.0L early this year was that one even a consideration. The new Explorer looks really nice too and the 2.0L in it should do very well also.

I still would like to take the EcoBoosted 2.0L 11 Explorer or 11 Edge from Chicago to LA and back for a write-up later this fall but I am thinking about the 40 +/- 5 mpg and 4,000 + miles… An RT airline ticket is a whole lot less expensive.

Wayne

15. seftonm

I find the my variable displacement compressor offers a noticeable improvement over even the one that was in my old car. A lot could be engine related or not due to the compressor, but once it's been running for a few minutes and gotten into its regular operation zone, the hit seems to be much smaller than I remember with my last car.

16. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

One angle for that challenge would be to have a total of five people aboard, and setting the theme as "EPA says 28 mpg highway, CleanMPG measures 200 pmpg ". With one aboard, the Explorer (or Edge) makes no sense under any circumstance, other than towing more than two tons. But with five people aboard, reaching 40mpg would make it a rather efficient road trip vehicle.

17. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

As of this date, the status of my order is:

F24220 / R024 (Dealer Code / Order Number)

In Order Processing - Unscheduled- Clean on Aug-10-2010.

"Unscheduled - Clean" means:

The order has been received, successfully edited, and is awaiting scheduling action.

Looks like I'm going to be able to get updates on my order from requesting a copy of my DORA (Dealer Order Request Acknowledgment) from my dealer. I can then give my Dealer Code and Order Number to a Ford employee to look up the status in a Ford computer. I was able to get the status of my '09 FEH after the dealer got me my VIN, which is much later in the ordering process. The DORA is received by the dealer the day of your order or the next business day from Ford. With the DORA it is possible to get the status, VIN and a copy of the window sticker long before the vehicle is delivered to the dealer.

Production of the 2011 Explorer is starting around Nov. 3rd so I don't expect to see it before New Years.

The EPA numbers have not come out yet, but the same 3.5L V6 in the 2011 Edge is estimated at 19 City and 27 Highway. I don't know if that is official because I read it in an article on the Edge.

GaryG

18. PaleMelanesian

The 3.5L 2011 Edge is on fueleconomy.gov with 19/27. I think that means it's official. No explorers are listed.

19. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

Thanks Andrew, that's impressive for a 5,300 pound CUV.

GaryG

20. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

That's better than my midsize coupe.