Sportier but Thirstier, a Hybrid Honda Tries to Be Hip

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Chuck, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

[​IMG] Honda says the car can go from zero to 60 miles per hour in 10.1 seconds or less.

[FIMG=LEFT][/FIMG]Richard S. Chang - NYTIMES - Aug 6, 2010

Gas prices are not high enough for gearheads to care yet. --Ed.

...That original wedge-shaped Insight was rated at 65 miles per gallon in combined city-highway driving (a figure adjusted to 53 m.p.g. after the calculation method was changed in 2008). The new CR-Z gets 34 m.p.g. with a 6-speed manual transmission or 37 with a continuously variable automatic.

...Honda clearly intended the CR-Z to evoke warm, fuzzy memories of its CRX, a vaguely similar two-seat slice of hatchback that Honda sold in the 1980s and early ’90s. The CRX was low-set, peppy and so light that it seemed in danger of flying away to join a bundle of renegade party balloons. Eventually, young hot-rodders discovered they could install bigger engines in the car (from an Acura Integra or a Honda Prelude), and the CRX became one of the best examples of a pocket rocket.... [RM][/RM]
  2. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

I think that may be one of the car's biggest problems. I bet it's a blast to drive and would get lots of attention. But there aren't many people who will consider going for a 120hp hybrid when they're looking for something fun or sporty. Sounds like a good car, but will many people actually buy it?
  3. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

If you can get someone out of a 22-23 mpg car and into one of those then it is a win win for everyone. Who can complain about 50% better gas mileage from the start? :)

It doesn't take long to cut our fuel usage if you can convince people that when its time for a new vehicle that they can save 25% to 50% or more on their fuel costs by picking the right replacement.
  4. corollasport09

corollasport09 Well-Known Member

It is not that sporty (0-60 in 10 seconds) or fast (120 hp)
    Gas mileage is is not as good as other hybrids like the Prius which is 50 mpg
    So, I am not too sure why people would buy it???
  5. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Filled up with regular gas in Washington[Kettle Falls Wa] $3.30 Its getting up there? H
  6. saturnsc2

saturnsc2 Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard any sales numbers on these yet? How many are honda actually moving out?
  7. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

I don't believe it is on sale here just yet.
  8. bomber991

bomber991 Well-Known Member

Wait just a minute, isn't the 0-60 time of the prius less than 10 seconds?
  9. GreenVTEC

GreenVTEC Well-Known Member

I'm honestly getting tired of hearing of the new favored tagline: "why buy this POS when you can get a 31 mpg Mustang for 22K..."
  10. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

If you did not know me, you might think I was a Ford guy. :D

Here it is: Let's pretend Ford introduces a retro Mustang II, but reliable, with an Eco-Boost engine.

I'd bet the performance and FE would beat the CR-Z
  11. GreenVTEC

GreenVTEC Well-Known Member

In overall fuel economy?

Doubtful, yet people will always tout the highway number as the end all be all of normal cars while then comparing that number to the lower EPA city number for the CR-Z. I've seen enough people post about how the CR-Z gets the same FE as a Mustang V6.....of course that means putting city vs highway.

Someone over at vwvortex made a thread about his Vette recently. Made a big fuss about how he got 28 mpg once on the highway. Of course of less interest was his lifetime mpg of 19.7.
  12. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Chuck, the heck with the Mustang II go nuts with a retro Pinto. :p

For those who thought those economy cars of the seventies got great gas mileage?

Click link and click open.

Car and Driver Gas Mileage Pinto March 1974 This is a PDF file.

They bumped the mpg's up 25% with minimal cost changes to the car.
  13. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I'm tired of Honda's "compromise everywhere possible" design philosophy. How many variations of Civic do they offer? DX LX VP EX EX-L SI. Can they not offer a CRZ sport with genuine performance and CRZ eco with genuine economy? What's the point of the 6mt if the gears are as bad as my poorly geared 5mt?

This weekend I loaned the Odyssey to a friend who needed the third row seats. I drove his 4Runner in exchange. (4 cyl, 4spd auto vs the Ody's V6 5spd)

The Ody's transmission, like most Hondas, is a miserable failure of a design. The gear ratios are fine, but the programming is terrible. If you think about adding some gas, it downshifts. If you blink, or hit a gust of wind, or anything, it downshifts.

In comparison, the 4Runner had a well-designed transmission. I only once had it over 2000 rpm, and that was deliberately flooring it on an uphill on-ramp. It would simply hold the gear as long as needed. It had no trouble maintaining speed on long uphill grades. The Ody has more power and better aerodynamics, so it could easily do the same, except for the transmission programming.

Ody: 1800 rpm @ 60 mph
    4Runner: 1900 rpm @ 60

For my next purchase, I believe Toyota deserves my money more than Honda.