Scott with 1999 Honda Civic HX 5MT from Elkton, MD

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by LinuxGold, Jul 10, 2010.

1. LinuxGold

LinuxGold Hypermile to the finest

I am introducing my 1999 Honda Civic HX 5 MT, "HypermilerX", to CleanMPG. Thanks everyone for your help in locating a new car that saves gas. Here are images of my car, (more will follow):

:woot:
    [​IMG]
    :woot:
    [​IMG]

2. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Very nice! :thumbs_up:

You know that wing on the back has to go... right?

3. LinuxGold

Good Morning Everyone! I haven't had an access to Internet until now.

How much loss do wing on the back have on MPG? I am willing to take wing off the back of car. I need to find the cost to cover the holes where wing is mounted on.

I am going to motor vehicle dept today to have it tagged.

4. LinuxGold

1993 Toyota Camry LE V6 AT and 1999 Honda Civic HX 5MT
    My wife is in Camry, waiting for me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. 08FIT-S

08FIT-S Active Member

Nice find. Of course I'm partial to Hondas.

6. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

That has a number of upgrades to my DX. Sunroof, Radio/nav (mine is oem no-cd), tachometer :p. That last one I miss the most. Otherwise, it looks like home to me.

I hate the cupholders. It's like they're designed to be cup-tippers instead. A foam beer cozy around your cup will snug things up just dandy.

If you search WAAAAAAAAY back, Brick removed a wing from his Accord. I believe he used some kind of rubber grommets to seal the holes.

7. LinuxGold

Thanks Andrew, I'll search in Brick's posts for solution to my wing removal.

BTW my radio is Pioneer AVIC-U310BT which includes Navigation, Bluetooth, CD player and can play music from ipod. It's nice!

8. LinuxGold

Andrew,

Do you have image of either ScanGagueII or MPGuino in your civic?

9. aburk4

aburk4 Well-Known Member

I have one :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  10. aburk4

aburk4 Well-Known Member

My first thoughts exactly.

11. PaleMelanesian

No pictures on hand, but my gauge is on top of the dash, kind of like a heads-up display. It's on the top front edge of the hood that covers the gauge cluster. I tried the lower position, but I sometimes like to punch the buttons while driving, and reaching through or around the wheel seemed unsafe.

12. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

DON'T DITCH THE WING! It appears to be the proper height to split airflow off the back glass at a much shallower 12-13 degree angle than the trunk lid alone at 16-20 degrees. I bet it's helping more than hindering.

Congrats, and I envy you!

13. LinuxGold

How can I verify that it is helping than hindering? Is there any technical spec online that will help me to verify that?

Thanks! =)

14. PaleMelanesian

Here's a quick-n-dirty test: coastdown. Find a good long coast location. Get up to speed (higher is better, since it highlights aerodynamics more). At a specified location and speed, go into neutral and coast down. Either to a stop or to a certain lower speed, and measure distance, or to a certain location and measure speed. Then do it again without the wing. Whichever configuration gives you a longer glide, or a faster speed at the final location, is better.

It's best to do this as close to back-to-back as you can. Even better if you can do multiple runs in A-B-A-B format.

Consider that the Civic hybrid only has a little 2" lip on the trunk lid. I think that spoiler is too big. Test it and prove me wrong. ;)

15. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Scott:

Ditch the wing. Is was designed as an add-on, not to split the vortices coming off the back of the rear roof line.

Good Luck with your new HX!

Wayne

16. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

I won't disagree with anything said here, but I'll say this as well.

Test. That's about the only super way to check it.

Also, I think you signed up on EcoModder? Post pics over there and have AeroHead take a look - they've got years of experience in aero design.

17. LinuxGold

Thanks Andrew, Wayne and Nevyn for all your suggestions. Here is what I am doing right now:

Commute to work with wing on, deplete the tank and find the pattern in car's behavior.

After refill, remove tank, insert rubber grommet, deplete the tank and detect the difference in pattern. I will write detailed report on this experiment.

While looking back in the rear-view mirror, the wing seems thicker than what it appears in images provided. OTOH, during rain, wing DO add more surface for water drops "Drag", and it is an add-on from first owner.

I am not finished with my research and so far, I am leaning more and more towards the wing removal.

Again, thanks so much for your advices, they are not ignored and they are put into serious consideration.

18. PaleMelanesian

I doubt you'll see the difference over a whole tank. Especially when you're new to the car. There's just too much variation in other factors - weather, traffic, etc.

19. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Nice HX! I do think the 6th gen Civics were the best Civics of all in some ways. You can't imagine how many times I've wished they had made an HX sedan.

I've got to echo most of the other comments about the spoiler. It's too high to give you the airflow separation you're looking for. I can't imagine it helps.

20. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

I didn't know it was non-standard when I first commented. I'd say it may be best to remove, but test.