Fuel Treatment?

Discussion in 'General' started by aburk4, Jul 7, 2010.

?

Which Product do you use?

1. Sta-Bil

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Marine Sta-Bil

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. StarTron

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. SeaFoam

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  5. Other

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  6. None

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. aburk4

aburk4 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Do you put additives in your gas? Regardless of your reason, whether it be for ethanol, fuel stabilization, cleaning, etc.

A friend of mine is a Marine Mechanic and he preaches fuel treatment in order to fight the negative effects of ethanol and octane decline. I've seen first hand what happens to untreated E10. Lots of water sitting on the bottom of the tank.

I have been using Sta-Bil religiously for the past few months because my fuel lasts me nearly a month. (Tanks that last longer than 2 weeks should be stabilized.) I also use SeaFoam every 5,000 at my service interval to keep my engine clean. Overkill? Probably. Now I'm transitioning to StarTron to fight the effects of E10.

The goal of my post is to hear what you all do, if anything, about E10 and old petrol.

Thanks!

- Alex

2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I use Sta-Bil, both in my car and for the mower. 6 weeks to a tank, I think, qualifies as sitting for a while. I have the Marine formula, only because I picked up the wrong one when I bought it. :eek: It'll take me a few years to finish the bottle.

3. Parasite

Parasite Well-Known Member

I need to use something, but don't have a clue to what.

4. beatr911

beatr911 Tightwad

I need to use something?

So far no ill effects in the truck, bike, mower or emergency generator. Not even water (yes I do check the float bowls).

5. aburk4

aburk4 Well-Known Member

If you use E10 then StarTron or Marine Sta-Bil would do the trick. With straight gas regular Sta-Bil is fine.

Then you're one lucky guy. Only time will tell.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  6. worthywads

worthywads Don't Feel Like Satan, I am to AAA

I'm another lucky guy. No issues here even on my 70 Challenger converible that I run 4 tanks through a year.

7. aburk4

aburk4 Well-Known Member

Really?! What kind of gas are you putting in? It sure ain't ethanol.

8. npauli

npauli Well-Known Member

Sta-bil in the mowers. Nothing in my wife's CRV. For the diesel truck, I always use something to prevent gelling in winter, and intend to use something for lubricity and detergency year round.

9. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

I use sta-bil for my power tools. I have a snowblower, lawn tractor, tiller, chainsaw, and leaf blower(at least my weed whacker is battery powered..LOL), and i stabilize all the fuel in these tools. The fuel in my cars never sits in the tank long enough to worry about that. I wish it did. When i stored my miata last winter i filled the tank and used sta-bil, and it was fine.

10. southerncannuck

southerncannuck Well-Known Member

I use marine Sta Bil in the car since it drives less that 1,500 mile a year. And I use Seafoam in the powertools. I'm only using Seafoam to try to clear up some gummng from past lack of use.

11. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

I never use it in cars. It is necessary in small engines if they will be not used for several months. Gas evaporates and the resulting thicker (sludge) WILL plug the small ports in small engines. The smaller capacity, the worse the problem.

I use Stabil in the snowblower, generator, mower, weedeater, and blower during the seasons when they won't be used. I do a monthly pm on the snowblower and generator by starting and letting them run for about 15 minutes also.

Here is The Straight Dope that gives a general idea about fuel.

12. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Lubrucity additive for my car, which is usually powerservice. Nothing for the bike or mower.

13. greenrider

greenrider Well-Known Member

I've used Seafoam and Marvel Mystery Oil. Oddly, I tried the MMO as an experiment adding 8 oz of so to my last oil change and the Civic actually runs quieter with less clatter, especially when cold.

14. worthywads

worthywads Don't Feel Like Satan, I am to AAA

Really !!!! and it is ethanol, I have no choice like most of us. Sorry to disappoint you with my trouble free experience. ;)

15. 08FIT-S

08FIT-S Active Member

Good thread. I picked up a used V70 for a wife. 150k odo, nothing wrong but a little spark knock. I'm guessing the previous owners ran only 87. Even with timing being retarded via computer, it's a 91+octane motor and I'm sure that's had some affect.

I'm thinking of running some cleaner through it just to make sure all is well. Suggestions?

16. aburk4

aburk4 Well-Known Member

SeaFoam should do the trick.

17. southerncannuck

southerncannuck Well-Known Member

I've also had good luck with seafoam.

18. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

I have been using Lube Control FP Plus for a few years in my highway car.

It also has Lube Control LC20 added to the oil.

When I run out I'll probably not replace my stock.