Honda Is Entrusting CleanMPG With the 6-speed CR-Z For A Week :D

Discussion in 'Honda Hybrids' started by xcel, Jul 6, 2010.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] And it arrives this Friday!

[fimg=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2011_Honda_CR-Z_in_San_Francisco.jpg[/fimg]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - July 6, 2010

2011 Honda CR-Z at the base of the famous San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge.

The all-new 2011 Honda CR-Z hybrid sports coupe is almost here and CleanMPG was just given permission to take one out for a drive. And it’s the beloved 6-speed stick no less!

While we may not have the backdrop to snap a pic like those in the San Francisco Bay area, I can tell you from first hand experience, the car looks even better in person. During the BMW 1200 GS ride late last month, we saw one of the first CR-Z’s heading to the Washington Press Fleet during a rest stop in Maryland. I spoke with the STI driver (a press fleet coordinator) and her exact word’s were “I love this car”. While she did not know about the aFCD or Eco Assist instrumentation, I cycled through the menus to have a look at the FE of this brand new CR-Z with less than 500 miles on the clock… What else would I be doing inside a CR-Z that was caught in the wild ;) Her FE was sitting dead on at 36.5 mpg while driving it like a bat out of hell down the I-95.

Although the CR-Z will not be available to the public until late August, its MSRP of just $19,200 makes it a somewhat attractive proposal. While it may not have the fuel economy of the HCH-II or HI-II, it is still as efficient as the rest of the segment but with an ever important additional factor that cannot be described in words just yet. That being it looks fast and should have included the ever important "F" in its moniker standing for “Fun”.

As we know, the 2011 Honda CR-Z is a slick looking two-passenger coupe with much more aggressive handling characteristics than most hybrids we have experienced in the past. With the Fit’s 1.5L i VTEC 4 mated to Honda’s latest iteration of Integrated Motor Assist (IMA), more performance is all but guaranteed from this light weight 2-seater. The six-speed manual transmission is a first for any hybrid that we have personally ever experienced while the more sedate can choose to drive Honda's Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) including steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters. It is the stick we want and the stick we got that adds to the small sports car flavor while still offering a fuel efficient 34 mpg combined rating. We will be sure to test that rating out too :)

New for the CR-Z over and above the HI and HCH-II is a new gauge cluster. The Eco Assist indicators are still there but with a twist. Sport, Normal and Eco all have their separate switches and in Sport mode, the dash takes on a demon like red appearance vs. the soft blue and greens during Normal and Eco driving modes.

Infotainment

The CR-Z’s two trims include the well-equipped CR-Z (base) which now includes Cruise Control standard and the loaded up CR-Z EX. Standard on the base is an AM/FM/CD/USB audio system with six speakers, automatic climate control, power windows, locks and mirrors and remote entry.

And right from the release, the CR-Z EX adds a 360-watt AM/FM/CD high-power audio system with seven speakers – including a subwoofer – Bluetooth HandsFreeLink, leather-wrapped steering wheel. The CR-Z EX is also available with the Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System with Voice Recognition. All which we hope to experience in the CR-Z headed our way!

While I do not know if we will be driving the Base or the EX yet, the EX’s upscale qualities would be preferred for all the right reasons :D

Safety

The CR-Z like all recent Honda models before it includes their Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) body structure helping to protect vehicle occupants in the event of a frontal collision. Additional safety tech includes Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA); standard dual-stage, multiple-threshold front airbags; standard front-side airbags with passenger-side Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS); side-curtain airbags; active head restraints; an anti-lock braking system; a tire pressure monitoring system; and a pedestrian injury mitigation design in the front of the vehicle.

MSRP and EPA Details

As we have previously reported, here are the really important details.

Column1Column2Column3Column4
    ModelTransmissionMSRPEPA City/Hwy/Combined (mpgUS)
    CR-ZMT$19,20031/37/34
    CR-ZCVT$19,85035/39/37
    CR-Z EXMT$20,76031/37/34
    CR-Z EXCVT$21,41035/39/37
    CR-Z EXWith Navigation MT$22,56031/37/34
    CR-Z EXWith Navigation CVT$23,21035/39/37

MSRP excludes tax, license, registration, $750 destination charge and options.​

With FE matching that of the Audi A3 TDI, VW Jetta TDI and VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI with a stick, and even more when equipped with the optional CVT plus costing thousands less, I think this is going to be a really fun drive… Now I just have to come up with somewhere the wife and I need to go :D

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  2. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Wayne,

We will finally get a change to see how good the Eco setting on the CR-Z is.

3. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Wayne, You are welcome to stay at my HOME IN NY!!! (as long as you bring the cr-z with you), My little 7y/o brother is infatuated with that car and is DYING to see one. He begs me EVERYDAY if he could go see it! :D. I have the sucky job of telling him they only exist in the imagination.

4. xcel

Hi Ricardo:

Oh no, not another road trip to NY :D

If you are serious, let me know. Since you are a CleanMPG staff member, we can have your credentials faxxed in allowing you to drive it and your 7-year old brother will experience the ride of his life before the rest of the public gets their turn.

Kind of a neat story to add to the review as his big smile while behind the wheel (not moving of course ;)) will be on the CleanMPG home page :)

Good Luck

Wayne

5. t4haughton

t4haughton Active Member

I'm guessing you have to return it before Hybridfest. Otherwise, Madison would be a nice little road trip.

:bananalama:

6. Diesel Lover

Diesel Lover Mentalcase

Just put the deposit down on mine, you'll absolutely love it mate!

7. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

How far are you going with it? What direction?

8. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Oh I know you love those trips to NY ;). His jaw would literally drop to the ground if he saw one. He goes out looking for them daily, poor kid. It would be nice if you are coming this way, I would definitely try meeting up with you some place and have a discussion/lunch/barbecue Im sure he'll remember it for the rest of his life, especially knowing that he got to sit behind the wheel before the public. If not I guess I could take him for a test drive when they come out.

I do like your story better however :p.

9. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Wow, holy MOLY this is good news. Nice coup Wayne!

As Chuck already said, my big question is how does this thing do in Eco mode -- compared with the other good hybrids (HCH, Insight, Prius), with the similarly rated TDI, and with other highly rated conventionals like the Civic and Yaris?

Another interesting comparison would be with the Mini Cooper, since the CR-Z is clearly targeted at the same market.

10. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Wayne, It was a no-brainer for Honda to entrust you with the CR-Z. They know this car will get the review it deserves. The other reviews have shown the sportiness of this little car, and with a review like yours, Honda needs it to show what this car is capable of doing on the road.

11. noflash

noflash Senior Member

Awesome, I have high hopes for this coupe.

Cheers, nf

12. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

I'd even take off work to see it on it's way through!

13. xcel

Hi Nevyn:

We have to get you in on one of our "Road Trip Reviews" someday soon :D

Good Luck

Wayne

14. joesgot4

joesgot4 Well-Known Member

wayne,keep us posted! please! your road trips are magnetic! p.s. wayne what non hybrid car would you recomend for mostly highway mileage with only one person in it 90% of the time! it needs to be a new car! you can send me a private message if you want it to be private!

15. aburk4

aburk4 Well-Known Member

This is awesome news! Have fun and keep us posted. If you're in Michigan let me know. ;)

16. bnther

bnther Well-Known Member

Ditto on coming out Michigan way.

I'm really curious to see some real world number and maybe get your general opinion on whether or not it's really got a sporty feel or not.

17. dr61

dr61 Well-Known Member

Great news! I'm very interested in what eco, normal, and sport mode MPG will indicate during steady state, flat cruising at 60 mph, in addition to what you can get using all of your great techniques.

Also requesting that you try some hard turns with stability assist turned off (in a safe area like a parking lot, of course).

18. jpleong

jpleong Well-Known Member

Wait... when do you get the CR-Z? I'm going to be up in Chicago this weekend (my Insight 2, as well).

JP

19. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

CR-Z arrives on friday.

20. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

This should be interesting. :)

Be sure to check out the parcel tray fitments to see if it might be possible to order the rear seat components for a simple bolt on "upgrade." It might be worth considering for those of us who have small children and need somewhere to strap a child seat. ;)