Blue Lupo Diesel

Discussion in 'Volkswagen' started by philmcneal, Mar 22, 2006.

1. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/news,view.spy?artid=58348&pg=2

Volks wagon is remaking their lupo diesel so that it can archive prius city mileage, but as well improving its hwy mileage as well. Not only that, this is a car for the masses so it will be more affordable than a prius when it comes out. To make it even more exciting, its as clean as a prius when numbers are compared (off by a few). Only a 5 speed is offered but with over 150 pounds of torque at a low 1800 rpms you can't complain at all! The first two gears are exactly like the same as the other lupos so that acceleration can be fast from stop but then the 3rd 4th and 5th gears are very far apart to get the best hwy economy. With a co drag of .30 and getting 3.2L/100km in the hwy ...now that's a car I want to have! Espically when you can pair it up with biodiesel and never have to pay for gas again.... now if only VW can improve upon their reliability ratings.

but the sad part is... this car isn't coming to North America for a long long time...:mad:

2. philmcneal

3. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

Probably because it isn't as clean as they say. Also, I'd love to see a hybrid version of this. Image the MPG number then ;) It would make the current crop of hybrids look like gas guzlers ;)

4. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

I'll take mine in silver, please. :)

...with a full set of shop manuals.

5. billy

billy Well-Known Member

I'm not too impressed ---- 59.8 mpg hwy. Not bad, but here in WA diesel is 45 cents higher each gallon than gas!

6. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

I guess it depends on what you are comparing it to. It's amazing compared to my Accord, which has given me a maximum of ~37mpg on the highway. But compared to a HCH II or something similar you can't make up the added price of diesel.

7. philmcneal

good point brick! I guess we both still have gas misers while the rest of the hybrids are gas sippers.

8. philmcneal

transport canada is thinking of allowing 3L Lupos to be sold in canada.

HOLY after reading what the DSG gearbox is actually capable of I WANT ONE NOW!!!!!

taken from http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/article_319.shtml
    wow why haven't we got this car already!!!

9. dunhamjr

dunhamjr New Member

This comment was true last year, but look at gas vs. diesel prices now in WA.

The last diesel fuel I purchased was $2.81/gallon, where as reg unleaded was $3.09/gal

10. MetroMPG

MetroMPG Well-Known Member

Hey Phil...

Can you point me to some more info about this? That's quite something if it's true.

Darin

11. Erdrick

Erdrick Well-Known Member

Having been driving around in a small car for the past year and a half, I can vouch that they are safe and practical. Accident avoidance gives you a 100% survival rate. You can't say the same for any type of safety features.

It is too bad that the U.S. can't seem to see this obvious point. Oh yeah, I guess that it isn't just you that you have to worry about, it is that OTHER guy. Like my 5th grade teacher used to (and probably still does) say, "It isn't you that I don't trust, it's that person next to you!" Maybe that doesn't quite fit this situation, but it is a great thing to say nevertheless.