HCHII Master Cylinder

Discussion in 'Honda Hybrids' started by bdog, Jun 1, 2010.

1. bdog

bdog Member

Hi Folks,

Just a quick PSA to check your master cylinder for leaks. Apparently its very rare for them to leak, but I had a slow leak into the passenger compartment on our 08 HCHII.

Right above the brake pedal there is a rubber bellows, or boot and brake fluid was slowly dripping from that. Keep in mind that it is a VERY slow drip, maybe one drop every day or so. Fluid levels were still fine in the reservoir.

Anyway, it might be worth checking, because the fix is multiple thousands of dollars if you're off warranty.

B

2. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip! Leaks like that could go unnoticed by many.

3. msantos

msantos Eco Accelerometrist

Hi bdog;

I had the master cylinders on my 2006 and 2007 models replaced under warranty back in 2008 as per TSB .

At the time, they neither exhibited the TSB symptoms nor did not leak. Also since then, no such issues with my 2006 as well as a local corporate fleet of 70+ HCH-II's I keep a eye on. Still good thing to keep an eye on.

Cheers;

MSantos

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

Now I know why Civic Hybrid's are in short supply! ;)

To Bdog: where is it that bellows? I assume on the engine side of the firewall? I've never seen anything on the garage floor, nor on the plastic undershield, but will check it out. Thanks for the heads-up.

5. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Sounds like it is inside, attached to the brake peddle assembly? If that is the case it would leak onto the floor mat. H

6. bdog

bdog Member

Harold is correct.. It leaks right onto the floor mat, which in my case is rubber, but those with carpet type, it may soak in and disappear. I'll try and get a pic when the car is back home later, but they cleaned it when looking at the problem, so I don't know if there will be any drips visible.

The parts are in, so I just have to get it to the dealer later this week.

Oh.. and thanks to all the contributors on this forum! I finally did an alignment this spring and found the rear toe to be out of spec (with a thrust angle and all). Its one thing to read, and its another to do. So when you read about getting an alignment on a new car, don't just read, DO! :Banane35:

7. bdog

bdog Member

Hopefully these aren't too big.. the bellows is just above the blue plastic spacer or whatever it is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. jmelson

jmelson Well-Known Member

MULTIPLE thousands of $? You mean, over TWO thousand $ for a master cylinder? This doesn't sound right. Obviously, the Hybrid has sensors that feed brake pedal pressure to the powertrain computer and such, but this still sounds too high.

Jon

9. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Very high for probably just a seal! H

10. bdog

bdog Member

I think there was a servo involved as well..

The service guy let me guess how much the repair would be.. I guessed $1,200 so I was really surprised when it was over the $2,000 mark. If it was off warranty I'd be asking more questions, but I'm happy to let them replace what they think needs replacing.

B

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

I'm not sure if they're on par with other auto manufacturerers, but over the years I've found Honda parts/repair prices consistantly much higher than my anticipation. My rule of thumb for estimating what I'm in for: anticipate what you think to be an onerous, absurdly high amount, then double it, and you'll be in the ball park...

We had a motorized antenna on a '91 Accord that we threw countless $100's at. You can see older Accords around: all of them have these antennas stuck at half-mast or replaced with aftermarket whip antennas. Rusted out mufflers, and the middle portion (between muffler and the catylitic converter), were another big financial drain. One time we had to replace part of a distributor, around $500.

I'm a little suprised that there's brake fluid on the passenger side of the firewall. I guess it's not unprecidented: there's also coolant, in the heater. Still: brake fluid dripping in the vicinity of brake and gas pedals...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  12. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Well-Known Member

often that is the case with a Honda but not always. The driver's sun visor on my Prius was over $100 installed. The HCHII only ~$40.

Prius' was broken when I bought it, HCHII suffers from the same defect as all 8th Gen Civics, or those of us who have them split in two have to use them more often than they were tested for.

Neither car had that covered in the extended manufacturer's warranty.

13. bdog

bdog Member

Just wanted to post an update:

All is well after the replacement, no leaks, no side effects.

It took an extra day because the tech had to call tech support, but other than that, it went well.

B

14. msantos

msantos Eco Accelerometrist

Excellent news !!

Now, on to enjoying the rest of the summer... and pushing that average FE further up. :D

Cheers;

MSantos

15. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Bdog:

I think I might sticky this one for a while. How did you catch it? That single drip filling a trough in the all-weather mat?

In any case, was there an absurd amount of labor time to get to that master cylinder that pushed the repair up to $2K? That sounds absolutely out of this world!

Glad to hear it was fixed under warranty and you are back on the road as well!

Good Luck

Wayne

16. bdog

bdog Member

Wayne, thats exactly how we caught it. It left a wet streak on the rubber mats. It was a very small leak (maybe a drip a day), so on carpet, it would have been nearly invisible.

As for the $2k, it sounded expensive to me as well, but I think they replaced more than the master cylinder, I think there was a servo motor in there as well. Perhaps that was the ABS servo motor, which would explain the price. If anyone has their hands on a service manual, perhaps they can look up the procedure for replacing the master cylinder and see if it includes some sort of servo motor.

Anyway, the brakes feel great.. all is well.

Bryan

17. EAKSE

EAKSE Active Member

any chance of getting those pictures back up?

18. wrvinc2

wrvinc2 New Member

Have had my 2010 hybrid for 3 years and am now replacing the master cylinder which is quoted at $2700 by the dealership and is being shipped from across the country. Anyone had to replace theirs or know anything about the master cylinder and why I would need to replace it after minimal use of the car? Had to replace IMA already whichch thankfully was covered by the warranty but this won't be. I have a call into customer service but am not optimistic.

Any thoughtts?

Thanks, Will
    Boston, MA