The 2010 Yamaha WR250X Review Has Begun…

Discussion in 'Street and Performance Bikes' started by xcel, May 26, 2010.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] CleanMPG’s Office on two wheels over the next few months…

[fimg=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2010_Yamaha_WR250X_RR_News.jpg[/fimg]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - May 25, 2010

The 71 mpg rated 2010 Yamaha WR250X with travel bags attached.

After months of E-Mails and planning, the top contender for the 250cc class crown has finally arrived.

While we have experienced a bevy of 250’s offering excellent and even unheard of fuel economy, the bikes were known more for their commuting capability than for an open road or trail adventure. In other words, all had baggage. Namely, they were carbureted beasts and only one of them to date included road manners that one could honestly say was 50-state, all-road (any road) capable.

The next generation of the Quarter-Liter bike begins.

2010 Yamaha WR250X -- A Little History

Twelve years ago, Yamaha released the world’s first lightweight and compact 4-stroke off-road race bike. Since then, Yamaha has established itself as one of the most dominant forces in the development of high-performance single-cylinder 4-stroke off road race bikes.

And we all know where this is heading… Yamaha’s World Championship winning engines were teamed with a street racing chassis creating one of the more desirable 250 cc street bikes in existence.

A powerful Quarter–Liter makes its way to the consumer

Yamaha’s WR250X today offers track proven acceleration and braking along with the ability to corner with anything… Even the Supersports! While the performance and chassis technology makes for an excellent story, Yamaha took it one step further with an environmentally responsible low-emission engine that makes sense today and tomorrow.

2010 Yamaha WR250X Engine Details

The new engine features a compact liquid-cooled 4-stroke DOHC layout running a 77.0 mm bore and short 53.6mm stroke. The short-stroke engine features a specially designed 4-valve cylinder head with a compact pent-roof combustion chamber which helps the WR250R deliver good throttle response and strong performance all the way up to its maximum output at 10,000 rpm.

Achieving segment leading power began with that new cylinder head, an unusually high 11.8:1 compression ratio (requiring premium fuel o reduce the chance for pre-detonation), extra-large titanium intake valves and high-lift camshafts specially treated to increase surface hardness and reduce frictional losses.

Fuel injection… The coup d'etat in the 250cc class

The excellent fuel economy and low emissions can be attributed mainly to a fuel injection system – the first time it has been incorporated on a Yamaha 250cc on-off road machine. The compact ECU receives data from a crank sensor, intake air pressure sensor and throttle position sensor, allowing it to calculate the engine’s optimum fuel volume, intake air volume and injection timing.

The fuel/air mix is fed to the intake via a long nozzle 12-hole two-directional injector. The mapping of the fuel injection system ensures strong power delivery and quick throttle response from approximately 3,500 all the way to its maximum at 10,000 RPM.

The intake is equipped with an air control valve, which, together with the EXUP system fitted to the exhaust, allows the ECU to accurately control the WR250X engine’s airflow from the intake for good power across the RPM range. It is not a peaky engine by any means.

What this means to you or I? When climbing from the depths of Death Valley to the heights of Pike’s Peak, there is little loss in performance. A carbureted bike without jetting swaps at every 5,000’ elevation interval begins to starve and can lose upwards of 1/3 of its available power above 10,000 feet. Fuel injected engines adjust on the fly and therefore offer peak output over a far greater range of elevations with no user interaction required.

In other words, shut up, start up and ride :D

Emissions

An Air Induction System (AIS), O2 sensor and Catalyst (CAT) are used to lower the WR250X’s emissions. The oxygen sensor provides feedback to the ECU which in turn adjusts the fuel/air ratio ensuring more complete combustion and much lower emissions. The AIS introduces air into the exhaust to re-burn any fuel not previously consumed and finally, the exhaust gases are run through a Catalyst to reduce emissions even further.

2010 WR250X Chassis

Frame - The WR250X features a 3-section semi-double cradle frame consisting of a cast aluminum/forged aluminum main frame, steel down tube and steel subframe.

Front Forks - Complementing the new 3-section frame, the WR250R is equipped at the front with race-quality upside-down front forks offering a generous 10.6 inches of travel from 46mm tubes inserted into lightweight aluminum triple clamps.

Rear Suspension - Utilizes a swing arm made of a special combination of aluminum components achieving a good balance of strength and rigidity, and low unsprung weight. Like the front forks, the rear shock is fully adjustable for preload and rebound/compression damping, and offers 10.6 in of wheel travel.

Front and Rear Brake Discs - Wave-type 11.7 inch front disc uses a compact 2-piston caliper. In the rear, 9 inch discs help to reduce unsprung weight. The Wave design both front and rear helps clear any debris from the brake pads.

Wheels and Tires - The Supermoto-style WR250X runs with 17-inch front and rear wheels equipped with a 4.33 inch wide front and 5.5 inch rear radial tires. The radial tires deliver lower rolling resistance and high levels of traction making the WR250X agile and responsive in the urban environment.

More details on the 2010 Yamaha WR250X can be found in its Detailed Specification page.

2010 WR250X Instrumentation

Digital LCD Instrumentation has been designed to offer good levels of visibility and operability, while also being light and compact. The basic mode display includes a speedometer, clock and tripmeter, while the measurement mode includes a stopwatch and distance-compensation tripmeter. A fly in the ointment is the lack of a tach and possible mis-calibration of the speedometer and odometer.

[fimg=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2010_Yamaha_WR250X_LR_News.jpg[/fimg]Early Impressions?

Having been warned that the WR is already too tall geared, I suspected this would not be the case… And like every bike we have ridden in the past two years from 250 cc’ commuters to the 1200 Monsters, by the time I hit 40 mph, I was looking for an imaginary and non-existent 7th OD gear. There are some fixes in the works so stay tuned regarding this one.

The 08/09 WR250X’s speedometer is possibly over reporting both speed and distance to the tune of 5 to 10% . While I have not spent any quality time in the saddle with a GPS and a 20 mile marker segment, we will discover together the odometer and speedometer overages over the next week or so. In addition, fixes can be had for this problem if it exists on the 2010’s?

The Supermoto’s factory suspension setup is supposed to be stiff yet with my 220 pound frame, another 20 pounds of protective gear and 20 pounds of pack; it has a soft feel that easily absorbs small roadway debris and undulations with aplomb. Hitting something a little harder and it stiffens right up. I can tell already that I am going to enjoy the long legged suspension action for the longer distance rides to come. I was very surprised at how comfortable it was although there are tweaks to be made and I am running tire pressures at whatever they may be.

Handling? Very sharp and crisp. The OEM Bridgestone BT90’s stick well for a bike with less than 20-miles on it. Another 100 miles to scrub them and this thing will be track ready… Ok, so it will be quasi track ready ;)

From my short ride so far, I can attest to that agility as it’s as easy as point and shoot. I can also describe that it glides more like a car than a bike. With most bikes and their bias-ply's, as soon as you let off with the clutch pulled, its like hitting the brakes. This one glides a lot longer and I have not even begun to prep it yet!

The tall feeling of the bike is almost perfect for my height and 34 inch inseam. The bars are slightly low but we have something very special in store once the standard review has been completed. Stay tuned for that as there are a lot of individuals behind the scenes that have contributed to possibly making a little history with this bike and I cannot wait to share it all with you! In due time of course, in due time…

A huge thanks to both Bob Starr and Tim Olson of the Yamaha Motor Corporation for having to read through a number of my lengthy E-Mail pleas for this bike. This is top notch PR from our perspective given this bike was shipped into the Midwest all the way from California!

For the initial review, I also want to thank Dave Wachs and Harold Cecil of Giant Loop for their Great Basin Saddlebag and Fandango Tank Bag. I have a 130 mile ride up to Elkhart Lake, WI (Road America) in less than 5-hours for a little low speed track time and their unique bags are what make this short run up and back possible.

There are many more individuals that will play a part in the next phase which just like baseballs “A player to be named later”, can lead to a lot of interesting speculation :)

Wayne

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  2. warthog1984

warthog1984 Well-Known Member

Wayne-

Good luck, sounds like a great bike!

3. Bruce

Bruce cheapskate

I understand dual-sport bikes require lots of mud clearance for off-roading; if you can do anything to get the mudguards closer to the wheels, it will improve the coverage for wet-road riding and most likely improve FE as well (exposed tire surfaces increase turbulence, which increase wind resistance and lower FE).

4. beatr911

beatr911 Tightwad

Wayne,
    I'll be following your trip closely. Really looking forward to seeing your route, the mpg figures, the future mods and the effect they have.

I need to plan a business trip to Cali anyway. Please contact me, I'd like to meet up and ride the Oregon, NorCal coast with you.

Sounds like a great trip!

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

My colleague's a dirt-biking Yahama fan. He likes more power and better off-road handling so thinks the WR250X is underpowered and is looking at the WR450F.

6. beatr911

beatr911 Tightwad

I hope you're in contact with Craig Vetter. You'll probably go right past his house on your way down the California coast.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you two disuss the future of personal transportation.

7. southerncannuck

southerncannuck Well-Known Member

I don't think that I could behave with that bike. It screams ride me hard and have fun. More power to you Wayne if you can do it. :)

8. xcel

Hi All:

WH, it is a fun bike… And I hope it can exceed expectations for what I have planned for it ;)

Bruce, there are a ton of aero mods but I am not going to get exotic later on by any means. Just simple bolt on stuff that is readily available from a number of different manufacturers for the “yet to be named” project bike coming up ;)

Beatr911, there are some great rides in Oregon down into Northern CA along the coast and although I do not have an exact itinerary for “something coming up” I am leaning towards a Northern Route and then heading down the coast to return the bike to it rightful owners. I would love to ride with a CleanMPG member and will PM you with a more detailed time frame and route when the time approaches. I have already done the prelim’s on 4 different routes so we will see how it develops.

ItsNotaboutTheMoney, while many of the hard core WR riders and enthusiasts are always searching for more power, there are a number of add-ons that the WRR and ADV forum guys and gals have installed to make the bike even faster and harder accelerating than it already is. Personally, a bike capable of 90 + mph in stock form is way too fast for me but those individuals pushing the envelope are very helpful when it comes to the details just as we try to help new members here.

SouthernCannuck, I have been tempted too ;) There is an all but abandoned but still in reasonably good condition 1.5 mile section of Interstate near Lake Michigan in Waukegan IL that I will do some top speed runs in a few weeks. Although it is not the track, having literally no cars on it should make for a safe high speed run for three blocks at WOT and max speed…

Just got back about two hours ago after spending some time at my parents on the way home from Elkhart Lake, WI…

Still learning the bike and placing some miles on it for “a trip” but here are some baselines that I have available to date.

I rode it on the Yamaha corporate fill to a station on State Route 57 near Waldo WI. This is a California bike with the evap canister and it is rated to hold 1.9 gallons. Unlike most bikes that have a Reserve Petcock (you run out of fuel, you turn the petcock to reserve and you have another .5 gallons or so), the WR250X has an indicator light like a car. Low Fuel brings up an orange light in the dash panel while also swapping the Trip A/B/Odometer function to a new mileage counter labeled F. In this mode, miles accumulate from 0.0 since Low Fuel was first reached.

As posted, the first fill was from the Yamaha distribution facility so I had no idea how much was in there other than I could see it quite a bit below the steel fuel filler hole within the tanks filler opening. The bike had 10.1 miles on it when I picked it up and reached the 91.6 mile point when the Low Fuel light came on. I rode an additional 42.1 miles before I topped off with 1.912 gallons to a top off. The California tank holds a bit more than its rated capacity as I am sure there was .1 to .2 gallons left in the tank? I will try and attach a small fuel container with a known quantity of fuel and run it dry. I will then refuel with the known quantity, ride to the nearest gas station and see what the 2010 WR205X actually holds.

And the good news. I think???

From that fill in Eastern/Central WI on Thursday morning, I rode 156.3 miles when the Low Fuel light came on. “Supposedly”, the Reserve contains .55 gallons and from the 1.9 gallon rated cap of the tank (we already know this is short of actual from the initial top off) , I have consumed at a minimum 1.35 gallons. 156.3 miles/1.35 gallons = 115.78 mpgUS. It is way too early to tell what the bike actually received given I believe it holds quite a bit more than the 1.9 gallons, the Low Fuel pickup throwing the Low fuel light is just an estimate and unfortunately or not, I had an ~ 10 mph tail wind all the way from Elkhart Lake, WI to the Il/WI border this afternoon.

If I can find some time today, maybe I will run it out and see what the actual turn out to be in terms of Fuel Economy and actual Tank capacity.

Another item is the odometer on the bike “may” be as much as 5 to 10% optimistic let alone the speedometer offset that the WR owners in the WRR forum have mentioned time and time again. I will run down those details early next week when the GPS Ram-Mount arrives so I can attach the Garmin 1690T to the bike. I will not be running the power setup just yet as I am trying to maintain as close to the OEM condition for the review before adding “some stuff;)

In other words, I have no idea what the fuel economy is and am only guessing at this point ;)

Either way, 100 mpg is not going to be as easy as I had first hoped but this is again a 100% stock bike with only the Giant Loop Great Basin Rear and Fandago front bags attached.

[​IMG]
    0.3 miles into Low Fuel. With the bike off, the orange Low Fuel light does not stay lit but the Neutral indicator does.

[​IMG]
    156.6 miles into this Review tank as shown on Trip A.

[​IMG]
    290.3 miles on the bike total on Trip B and the odometer when I snapped all of the above dash/indicator pics last night.

And as usual, my picture taking quality sucks. I used ACDsee 7.0 to change brightness, contrast and gamma so the display could be seen a bit better.

Good Luck

Wayne

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2010
  9. xcel

Hi All:

And a list of those who are supporting this Review and Project Bike/Challenge afterward.

First of course is the Yamaha Motor Corporation for supplying the already proven 2010 WR250X to us for our take. In addition to the bike as highlighted on the 2010 Yamaha WR250X Home page, Yamaha is supplying some OEM GYTR (Genuine Yamaha Technology Racing) 14T front and 40 T rear sprockets.

Great Basin Saddle Bag web page - Giant Loop and their well designed Great Basin Saddle Bag and Fandago Tank Bag setup have so far proven to be worth its weight in gold!!! You can pack a weeks worth of gear that is not only out of the weather but is also easy on and off for quick setup. Wait until you see the pics of the Fandango tank bag during a refueling ;)

The following manufacturers of WR specific and general Motorcycle gear and Rider gear) posted in alphabetical order) are all supporters and suppliers of a “Special” project bike and attempt that we will be building from the base WR250X in the very near future:
    • Aerostich Darien Jacket and Pants – From the CleanMPG Review, one of the best jackets and pants in the business.
    • Alpinestars SP1 – An all-leather, full protection gauntlet gloves for a reasonable price.
    • Arai XD-3 Helmet – One of the best Dualsport helmets available.
    • Avon Distanzia Tires – A unique addition to the WR250X allowing it to go from a 100% street application to a 75% street/25% off-road capability.
    • Gerbing’s heated Clothing – When the road or trail ahead is filled with cold weather, Gerbing’s gear has saved many a rider form the elements over the years.
    • IMS Fuel Tanks – They are coming out with a much anticipated, brand new and OEM looking 3.0 gallon tank for the WR250 R and X.
    • Nomad Tents – An Adventure tent for Motorcyclists with its own “Attached Garage” :D
    • Promoto Billet/Fastway – This team makes a number of unique products including a flatter, wider and more traction option peg platform that allows lowering of the pegs an additional ¾ of an inch, some tough as nails hand guard bars and shields plus a top of the line aluminum frame rack.
    • Richochet Skid Plates – One of the better recommended WR250 R/X skid plates made for protection AND aerodynamics for us CleanMPG folks ;)
    • Rox Speed FX Bar Risers – An anti vibration 2” bar riser for both comfort and ergonomics and a set of Spyder grips to reduce vibes even further.
    • Slipstreamer Spitfire Windshield – Wind buffeting and debris protection plus aerodynamic add-on all- in-one.
    • Throttle Rockers – A nifty looking and ultra-low cost Clutch and Throttle hand support add-on.
    I will have a lot more on the individual component add-ons listed above as they are attached and we get some time on the road with them.

Good Luck

Wayne

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  10. xcel

Hi All:

Some of the details... Staying just below 55 mph in the far right hand lane in the 55 mph zones is always a good idea of course and keeping approximately 35 mph in sixth in the 35 mph zones when running through towns. Milwaukee’s Interstates are 55 mph rated but once outside, they bump up to 65 mph and that is when I moved to the State routes vs. Interstates. From the IL/WI border to South of Chicago, the interstates are all PSL’ed at 55 mph so no problem there.

When running through towns, if a light up ahead was stale green or yellow, time to coast in while under a FAS. If there was a rabbit behind, I would allow them to pass to trip the light ahead so it’s green (some of the time) by the time I get to it. Standard light and rabbit timing... If I did get caught at a red, time to pull over to the side and shut the WR down including lights. Running through the smaller suburbs of Milwaukee is actually a lot of fun on the WR as you engage with the texters in the 4 wheel cages with hyper awareness. Some of the crap you can see people doing from the slightly elevated position of the WR is amazing… A lot of people reading stuff while driving in North Milwaukee for some reason :confused:

I had an ~ 10 mph tail wind from Elkhart Lake, WI back to the IL/WI border which surely helped. The other 60 + miles were headwinds/cross winds/no wind.

Regarding acceleration shifting, just enough speed so that the next gear would not lug with a very relaxed acceleration.

The WR smooth’s out from 40 mph indicated on up in sixth. She will even climb 3 and 4% grades in sixth (around Elkhart Lake there were a few of those albeit less than ½ mile long) if above 40 mph (indicated) which was surprising. Drop to 39 mph and a downshift was needed. Drop below 33 mph and another downshift to fourth at which point you could climb anything and hold speed while still maintaining maybe 500 to 1,000 R’s above lug. I am guessing as to the RPM’s and oh boy do I wish the WR had a tach! When on the flats, I could drop all of those shift points by 5 mph and the WR felt no worse for the wear. After 43 to 44 mph on the slab, the WR felt like it began wasting Rev’s for an incremental increase in speed. When I did ride very short portions of I-94 and I-43 to an indicated 65 mph, she was really starting to gyrate. I think I understand Yamaha’s OEM gearing selection however? I believe they wanted to reach peak power at an aero drag limited terminal velocity of ~ 90 mph but there is a lot of wasted REV’s between 40 and 65 mph indicated that I hope some gearing changes can take care of after the review period is over.

Another interesting thing I experienced last night was the increased power allowing lower speeds in the same gear during colder night time temps. Although RRc and aero drag increase quickly due to lower pavement temps and increased air density as the sun goes down and temperatures fall, power output from a change in air density was easily felt in the WR. While we all know why it happens, to actually feel the change through a small temperature delta was fascinating to me. In a nutshell, the 50 to 55 degree night time temperatures and the resultant increased air density allow the WR to pull sixth as low as 32 to 33 mph indicated without any upset to the engine or the bike. Climbing out of that speed range needs to be done with great care of course but just another data point for me to consider on some of the more lengthy night time in town rides.

I still have a whole slew of things to do over the next few days including trips into downtown Chicago and Milwaukee, the run out which I might be able to accomplish today or tomorrow and some speed range and technique work with shorter fill intervals but it will probably bore most of you... But read it anyway :D

Good Luck

Wayne

11. xcel

Hi All:

More detail about the Giant Loop Great Basin rear bag and Fandago Tank bag. I intended to review them on an R 1200 GS to compare to the OEM Boxes on a GS Adventure that Harry and I will be taking down the East Coast and onto the Dragon for a review next month. They worked so darn well on thi short hop on the WR250X, I feel obliged to mention them here.

Giant Loop Great Basin Rear Bag

Not only did the rear bag only add a smidgeon of frontal area for aerodynamic concerns, it packs down so tight with the heavy duty straps that if you wanted to match your body’s profile to reduce the bags profile even further, you could depending on your load.

My Laptop and power cord fit into the top most zippered compartment within the bag itself like a glove. Never had I carried a laptop on a bike without worrying about something breaking or scratching it! You could possibly even insert one of the new iPad’s w/out a cover although I will have to take some measurements of the internal pouch to make sure.

Boy does this rear bag have room to spare! I had a pair of dress shoes, slacks, shirt, tie and dress jacket along with a pair of jeans, two pair of shorts, three t-shirts, undergarments, the laptop and power cord, a pair of standard tennis shoes, extra gloves, a fleece liner for the Darien Jacket and my CleanMPG hat. And there was room for even more. A lot more!

In addition, it supplied a little lower back support and being Hi-VIZ yellow, can be seen quite easily from over ½ mile behind during day light hours. There was enough strap length to attach to the WR without any undue concern and to install was less than a 5-minute job. Remember the WR is a 250cc bike and this bag was truly meant for the 650 cc and up crowd. Now that I have over 250 miles with it attached, the smaller 30L Coyote bag would be a second choice vs. the much larger 50L Great Basin even for a 250 rider that has a lot of “stuff” to bring along.

Another item was the pack was so light, I never knew it was even back there on the mighty WR250X. Some racks and gear feel a bit heavy yet the Giant Loop Great Basin was simply doing its job without a care in the world.

Fandango Tank Bag

The Fandango tank bag worked its magic with enough room to carry my Cell phone and AA battery charger, my wallet, the Cell phone itself, Digital camera, the bikes Insurance and Registration information, more documents relating to my MAMA functions, some power bars, two 16 oz bottles of water, a scan gauge and its cabling, two sets of printed directions in the top, see-through exterior map pocket.

The real cool thing is at my first top off fill; I unzipped the Fandango top bag from its lower base attachment and removed it completely hanging it off the back of the bike while the base was still attached to the bike. The fuel fill cover was easily accessible and not in the way at all! After the top off, I zipped the bag back onto its base and away I went. The bag itself has a small carrying strap so when you remove it; you carry it like a lunch box. This was designed by actual riders who themselves are thinking outside the box.

More thoughts and impressions…

When I arrived at the hotel. I pulled the Open Loop bags off the bike including the Fandango Tank bag with its base still attached to the bags itself. This took all of 2 minutes and this was my first time at removal. I hoisted the Great Basin Horseshoe over my shoulder with all of my belongings safely inside and carried the Fandango with its incorporated handle into the hotel almost as easy as pulling luggage out of the car.

I have not used any of the (2) internal removable stuff sacks, (2) removable bags or the (2) sewn in MSR fuel/water bottle holders yet other than top incorporated bag for the laptop so I still have some learning to do in order to employ all the features Giant Loop has provided in this fantastic Great Basin rear bag.

My hats off to both Harold and Dave of Giant Loop for making a set of aerodynamic soft luggage/bags for a bike that are not only aerodynamic but can be installed and removed so easily while carrying everything in its place. I can tell that these two guys are not only Adventure Motorcycle riders but thought of how to take along your gear with a minimal amount of intrusion while either on the slab, trail or single track/no track heading to parts yet to be experienced by anyone.

I have to pass on a few stories about these bags…

In one case although I cannot find the link, a rider was clipped by a 4-wheel cage at speed and the bags themselves took the impact with the rider not getting touched! Not only are they highly visible but they offer another measure of protection like an airbag that I would not have believed until I read the story.

Another was posted by HickOnACrick in the ADV forums that saved a few hundred bucks in plastic replacement:
    One of the owners of Giant Loop had a spill on his KTM 530. While some scratches appeared on the crash bars in front, the rear bag took the hit on the rear and it barely scratched it saving him a few hundred bucks in plastic replacement as well!

The only negative I have experienced so far is mounting and dismounting with luggage attached and that is the case no matter what luggage you carry. I use the Step on the left peg and then mount method and that works fantastic. I highly recommend that you begin to practice this approach if you have any sort of bike luggage as it works, Hell, practice this approach whenever mounting one of the taller bikes as it is a lot easier than the pray you can get over and look foolish when you do not make it… Talking from experience on an XR650L here ;)

Enough of the Giant Loop Great Basin and Fandango Tank bag as I was really suppose d to wait until we take out the 1200 GS’s later next month but I could not wait ;)

Good Luck

Wayne

12. beatr911

beatr911 Tightwad

Wayne, you mention the GYTR 14/40 sprockets above, what are the stock sprocket sizes?

Are there dyno plots for this bike yet to see how much is reasonable for a gearing change?

Suggest adding an automatic chain oiler. I like the Scottoiler. It can use a relatively light (engine) oil to reduce friction and keeps the chain clean for long life. I went with a cheaper low friction non-o-ring racing chain and still had chain life 3X longer than an o-ring chain. Takes some dialing in so the bike doesn't get messy, but even then the lube hoses off pretty easy with a garden hose.

The cool weather power improvement indicates the injection is rich. It may be a little invasive, but installing an o2 sensor gauge may show what is going on. Alternatively, there may be shops that can dyno the motor, sample exhaust gasses and possibly tune the injection system. Are there injection system tuners for these bikes yet?

Other things to consider to make the engine more torquey are (and this applies to other bikes and cars as well):

Advancing cam timing. As I think these have fixed cam timing, this would likely be a mechanical modification. Increases dynamic compression and makes engine more biased toward lower speed operation. Lowers peak torque RPM.

Partial intake block, will affect mixture making it richer, so the o2 feedback may (or may not) compensate enough. Start with 20% and play around until you see a detrimental effect on the top end of the RPMs you're using. Use weatherstripping, tape or some other easily changeable material.

Increase plug gap. Open gap in .005" increments until a slight miss at high load/high RPM, then close gap .005" or so. Stock plug gaps account for ignition system degradation, bad fuel, and plug wear over time. There is more ignition power in there for the taking.

Interesting test occurring here!

13. xcel

Hi Beatr911:

Good questions!

The OEM as it sits in the drive is geared with a 13/43. Anything above 40 mph and the revs are simply needlessly climbing. On the slab at 65 mph and this thing is just throwing it away if for no other reason then to push that big bore piston up and down the walls.

It is geared for max power at terminal velocity, not for high FE at 2/3 of that speed unfortunately. We'll see when the tires and gears arrive after the review period is complete.

In addition, the taller gearing and larger diameter Avon Radial's should help bring the X's odometer and speedometer back into line with reality. Some of the WR guys are saying there is as much as a 5 to 10% offset on the Speedo and up to 5% on the odometer.

The chain is a very high tech O-Ring based unit (a bit less FE but very long lasting if taken care of properly) that needs only a quick brush down with Kerosene and some O-Ring based Chain wax or lube.

Regarding the tuners, there are plenty of them and each one has gained a lot of power and lost a ton of FE in the process. Most of that used to be 60 to 65 mpg bikes have been tuned to 55 mpg bikes with 15 + % more power by opening up air boxes, EXUP removal, new pipe and the injection tuning box. To see the CAT's removed and the small amount of power added while losing that much FE saddens most of us but at least the guys and gals are having fun at 55 + mpg vs. a lot less that some of the big bore KTM riders are pulling… The WRR and ADV WR forum guys are seriously technical about their mods and do so knowing they will be losing FE. Most that have had the bikes on the dyno are reporting the WR’s run a touch lean from the factory. When you first start up the WR and its warming up, it runs rich as the same 2 to 4 mph less at a similar gear occurs at night in cooler temps but 3-minutes later, the possibly slightly lean condition appears which we all want to enjoy.

The partial intake block is handled by the EXUP valve. This OEM and built in HW adds mid-range but chokes the WR down from its max output.

Regarding the timing... This is already an 11.8:1 bike with Premium highly recommended. I looked through the Service manual last week and saw no KS so advancing that is probably only going to lead to trouble given the higher load/low RPM's we would normally run during any acceleration.

The Yamaha engine designers are almost as good if not better than the Honda engine guys and trying to work around their design is going to knock emissions out of the park and/or has been the case with the WR owners, their bikes FE capability has been sapped while putting out a significant improvement in power. At least that is my feel for the thousands of posts I have read about the WR over the past two months or so.

I hope that helps?

Good Luck

Wayne

14. xcel

Hi All:

I installed and tried out some throttle rockers on both the right and left hand side grips. They are supposed to reduce fatigue by allowing your upper outside palm to control the vast majority of the work to twist the throttle. Well, they are slipping a little bit so the first run was kind of getting to know the product and I now have to install some additional rubber rings so once they are on, the will not twist. I will snap some pics tomorrow afternoon so you have an idea as to what they are and how they are supposed to work. They are like a cruise control in that instead of your wrist controlling the speed, your upper outer palm does with the weight of your hand allowing far less tension.

The jury is still out on these but we’ll give them a fair shake.

The Bike is at 191.8 miles and 35.5 miles into the Reserve (Low Fuel). This should easily cross 200 mils per the odometer before it fuel starves which is what I was hoping for… It is surprising how easy you can ride through towns at night with the priority streets having green lights for as far as the eye can see :)

Good Luck

Wayne

15. xcel

Hi All:

I did not take out the WR250X yesterday as it was HS graduation day for my youngest son. After we got home after a huge celebration meal at the Wildfire restaurant in Wheeling, IL, we all relaxed a bit. Later on in the evening, my wife and I headed to a local bar to enjoy the Chicago Black Hawks victory in the Stanley Cup Finals...

While the WR250X is probably close to fumes, I will be taking it to Milwaukee for a meeting later this afternoon after Church. I am looking for a smaller container than the 2.5 gallon gas tank so I can run it dry and get some actual calculations on total tank capacity and actual FE (using the OEM odometer readout).

Rear View mirror sightlines... Like most bikes, trying to see what is going on behind causes me to have to scoot over to one side or the other. I have a somewhat wide frontal area with my Aerostich Darien on but boy is it a PIA. I cannot look under my arms as I did with the Zero X and I cannot look around my arms without moving over.

I think I will look at attaching some non-OEM mirrors to attach to the incoming ProMoto Billet/Fastway hand guards and removing the OEMs altogether. The OEM’s are simply there to meet a DOT standard plus grab the wind and increase drag from my experience so far… Twice now in the almost 300-miles of riding I have been surprised by a cager close in on my six that I did not know about beforehand. In a car, this is not really that big of a deal but on the bike, I always want to know what is back there and the OEM mirror locations are not providing me with the level of protection I would like.

On a positive note, the OEM mirrors do not vibrate at 45 + mph causing that distorted field of view like many others that use wobbly mounts for the rear views.

The seat like all small displacement dual-sports we have ridden has one tough hard seat. Standing on the bike is great but sitting down for 45 + minutes at a time on the slab is a killer. Yeah, I have plans in the works for that too ;)

I took the Giant Loop Saddle bags (still loaded with my clothes, gear and other packed items not including the laptop) off for that last 30 mile ride. It allowed another 1 to 2 mph lower speeds in the same gear so while the bags are somewhat aerodynamic, there was a definite fall off in drag once they were removed. Regarding the bikes handling and general performance with the bags removed, there was not really that much difference other than the drag. Hard cornering and anything upright on the slab felt about the same. Yet another positive to the Giant Loop Great Basin bag story. They make smaller 30L bags called Coyotes but either way, they are working out really well so far.

Good Luck

Wayne

16. SheWolf

SheWolf Under Your Bed

Hey Wayne, thought I'd join up and see what this place is all about. :) Now you have an R as well as an X in here! Still trying to find where you did your review on the fuel economy thingy.

17. xcel

Hi She Wolf:

Great to see you over here!

While I still have a ton to write-up on the X’s adventure yesterday, home chores are the priority according to the wife :( It will be later today before I can get to that.

Were you looking for the ScanGauge-II Review?

Good Luck

Wayne

18. xcel

Hi All:

A little detail regarding the WR250X’s first tank.

I topped off from Yamaha's first fill near Waldo, WI just south of Elkhart Lake, WI for the MAMA Spring Rally as previously posted.

2010 Yamaha WR250X Elkhart Lake, WI to Home Ride

A few miles ridden around the IL/WI border area and yesterdays business meeting with the MiHG from Wadsworth, IL to Milwaukee’s Museum of Art, Milwaukee’s Miller Park, to Winthrop harbor, IL and back out to Wadsworth, IL.

2010 Yamaha WR250X Milwaukee Ride

Enough of the routes already :rolleyes:

I filled a 1-quart plastic container with .240 gallons of Premium at a local BP before I crossed the IL/WI border. I was already 33 + miles into low Fuel when I left home so I had better have a little reserve to get from fuel starve to a local station and thus the small container with enough air inside to allow for some vapor expansion.

On the way to Milwaukee, I began to run out just after I began a western leg on Highway 20 about 1-mile from I-94. As she would sputter and the weight transfer would move to the front, some more fuel would enter the fuel pump and it would spring to life for another two or three blocks. This was repeated for about a mile. Do not try this at home as it raises hell with fuel pumps… At least if you are on a flat road, you have another .75 to 1-mile range as she begins to reach fuel starvation. After about 4 or 5 of these events, she finally ran completely out. I was still above 30 mph and coasted into a Shell on HWY 20 and I-94 in Sturtevant, WI.

2010 Yamaha WR250X – First Tank Detail

Filled .240 gallons of Premium into a small container at a local BP in Wadsworth, IL. Coasted completely empty into a Shell in Sturtevant, WI.
    [​IMG]
    64.5 miles into Low Fuel at complete Fuel Starve and 220.8 miles on Tank #1 from top off to empty.

[​IMG]
    Top off with .24 gallon container and 1.854 gallons from the pump… Spilled approximately 0.05 or so gallons with the too large an opening container and the fast pump :(

Final Tally: 0.240 + 1.854 gallons/220.8 miles (Trip A and Odometer from first top off to odometer at Fuel Starve matched) = 105.44 mpg.

Now that that ordeal is over, I traveled to a local Culver’s to meet with Bradlee and Justin Fons of the Milwaukee Hybrid Group for a business meeting. A few Pepsi’s later; it was time to hit the road again. While in Milwaukee, I may as well see some sights?

2010 Yamaha WR250X to see some of Milwaukee’s famous landmarks

[​IMG]
    The Milwaukee Museum of Art's - Quadracci Pavilion​

The Quadracci Pavilion is a sculptural, postmodern addition designed by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava. Highlights of the building include the magnificent cathedral-like space of Windhover Hall, with a vaulted a 90-foot-high glass ceiling; the Burke Brise Soleil, a moveable sunscreen with a 217-foot wingspan that unfolds and folds twice daily; and the Reiman Bridge, a pedestrian suspension bridge that connects the Museum to the city.

My nephew who is attending the Milwaukee School of Engineering said one of the sections was so large it had to be flow from Europe to Milwaukee on an Antonov AN-225, the largest transport plane in existence.

[​IMG]
    The WR250X in front of the Quadracci Pavilion fountain.​

From there, it was a quick ride down the lakefront. Actually trying to find a good way west towards Milwaukee’s Miller Park, home of the Milwaukee Brewers.

Once I got onto Wisconsin Avenue, it was a straight shot to the stadium. I believe the Yankee’s were playing the Brew Crew at Miller yesterday but this was a few hours after the game had ended.

[​IMG]
    Any closer and I would have been inside Miller Park!​

If you want to go see a MLB game, Miller Park is easily one of the best. Not too much of a rip-off for parking, great employees, clean as a whistle and a very comfortable park to attend a game at.

If I had more time, I would have stopped in at the Harley Museum plus added some pics of the X on the shores of Lake Michigan. I will try and get some of those on my ride to Chicago sometime this week…

It may not be the Grand Canyon, Moab or Big Sur, for a slab rider from the Midwest, it is about as good as it gets ;)

Good Luck

Wayne

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  19. Chadx

Chadx New Member

Hi Wayne,
    Joined in to follow your progress (and also interested in some of the other forum topics).

Nicely done on the mileage. I think the key has been your low mph. It's amazing how quickly the mileage drops off as speeds increase (rpm and wind resistance). It will be interesting to see what your day-to-day mileage is as your trip progresses.

One point I'll clarify is that your X has a 13/42 sprocket combo stock. It is different from the R since the X has smaller diameter wheels and tires so Yamaha ran one tooth smaller in the rear to compensate a bit.

I might be recalling wrong, but some that have dynoed have actually recorded areas where the R (and presumably the X as well) are running rich. So there are both lean and rich areas in the powerband. Most programmers will only let you richen, but there is at least one that lets you go leaner than stock as well. That would be a good tool, even on a stock bike, so you could dyno and get the ideal fuel mixture at all rpm and throttle openings. The only issue with doing that on a stock bike is the spark arrestor doesn't allow the "sniffer" to be inserted quite far enough into the exhaust to get a consistent reading.

So you are still running stock gearing? What gearing are you considering? The 14/40 combo as mentioned earlier? That would sure put you high, but should work great for your intentions. It might require a little more clutch work from a dead stop, but in all other areas, it should be fairly streetable.

To clarify, the EXUP valve is in the exhaust, not the intake. If I recall right, it stands for something like Exhaust Ultimate Power valve. The name is cheesy, but the science is sound. By adjusting the valve, the backpressure can be adjusted, benefiting the pressure-wave and enhancing low and mid-range power. The intake flapper, and it's auto-adjustment, is generally not included when referring to the EXUP system.

On my R, I've tried to keep the best of all worlds (low emissions, reasonable FE, and still enough power to be fun in pretty gnarly off-road riding). All systems are intact (AIS, air flapper, EXUP, stock exhaust with cat). I have not modified the airbox or exhaust nor purchased a programmer. I have, however, geared it down. Stock is 13/43 on the R. I ran 12/43 (similar ratio to 13/46) for a while to see if I liked that ratio since I was running a taller-than-stock rear tire. I ended up with a 13/48 (just replaced the 12/43 this weekend) and it is perfect for my needs. After I adjust the speedoDRD (speedometer/odometer correcting tool), I'll see how FE is impacted. So far, I've been able to pull 6th gear at a slower backroad speed than with stock gearing. The only place it should impact my FE is the open highway and that is when it really pays off that these bikes have two overdrive gears (both 5th and 6th).

I believe you said you have the California model, correct? So you have the charcoal canister in front of the lower frame? The advertised tank capacity is lower on the Cali models than the non-cali models, so great that you can still fit in 2 gallons. I've not run my R dry, but have been right there. I fit in 2.02 gallons (according to the gas pump). I wonder if Yamaha, like many auto manufactures, advertise a capacity a bit smaller than actual on purpose. In nearly every auto I've owned, I've managed to fit in more than the advertised capacity. That is always unsettling since it tends to cause me to question the accuracy of the pump and if I'm being charged for more gallons than I actually pumped. Unlikely, but it still nags me from the back of my mind.

What other techniques are you using to get your posted mileage? You mentioned a couple (like timing lights and shutting off the bike when you get caught at them). Are you pulling in the clutch (or shifting to neutral) when going down hills in order to coast? Drafting? Just curious. I'll never do either of those, or shut off the bike at lights, but I am interested in the results of your experimentation. Thanks.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  20. xcel

Hi Chadx:

Great to have two enthusiastic pros over here (you and She Wolf) when it comes to the 08 - 10 WR250 R/X. I also applaud you for maintaining the stock engine and emissions controls. Reading the ADV and WRR forums, it has to feel like someone is pulling your hair not too go hog wild with the engine mods for that extra power ;) I should have looked back at my spec page vs. off the top of my head on the X/R gearing too!

Yamaha is sending out some GYTR 14/40 sprockets which should be here this week. Avon is sending me a set of the Distanzia's which will add yet another 4 + % or so... These will be added after the review is complete of course as I do not want to skew the review with an add-on of any sort. I am concerned about those Distanzia’s however as that front tire has quite a bit larger footprint plus the discussion in the WR forum where one rider saw less than 2,500 miles. I am sure we can pull 4,000 + out of them but it is still a question mark.

And you are right about the clutch work. To get the WR moving will take some work with the 15 +% taller ratio once the CS, Rear sprocket and rear tire are installed. We will see if it actually helps in the sweet 45 to 55 mph range or not? I have a Slipsteamer Spitfire windscreen, a Ricochet skid plate and some ProMoto Fastway hand guards. All should help improve the aero a bit.

I will eventually be running some Mobil1 10W-30 which should help the efficiency a bit for the lengthy Project bike ride that I am still in the planning stages with.

Now what to do about that seat... Renazco is willing to help me out but I do not have an OEM pan for them to work with. I have already sent in requests to ROHO (the Airhawk guys) to see what they can do for me as well.

I did notice a pickup in performance once the GiantLoop GreatBasin's were removed so I will have to be careful about loading and also cinching down to reduce its profile even further.

Welcome again to CleanMPG and I hope you find some relevant bike and automobile fuel and emissions reduction discussion here.

Good Luck

Wayne