Ecomomical 4x4?

Discussion in '4x4's, SUV's and P/U Trucks' started by jongloves, May 4, 2010.

1. jongloves

jongloves New Member

I need a large 4x4 to pull a 3000kg yacht. At the moment using a 2.8 Mitsubishi which returns about 15/100km but it's one hell of a tow across the alps. I did wonder whether a truck with a larger engine may prove more ecomomical if the engine isn't working as hard. Does anyone have any views?

2. Taliesin

Taliesin Well-Known Member

Is there a reason for 4X4 besides towing?

4X4 actually reduces your towing capacity.

3. npauli

npauli Well-Known Member

is that 15L/100 while towing 3000 kg through the mountains? (google says that's 15.7 mpg)

For the trucks we can get in the states (only diesels in 3/4 ton and larger) that's not too bad.

Can you tell me more about the vehicle you've got (gas/diesel, xmsn, axle ratio) and what you typically do with it?

Tow often? Tow heavy? You'll want to get a vehicle spec'd for the job at hand.

Tow rarely? Tow light? You'll want the smallest, wimpiest engine that can still get your boat over the hills.

4. makita

makita Active Member

You will see why you need 4wd when you try pull boat out lake.

Too many people who think they are fine with 2wd truck. Wrong it start slide and no traction then truck drown in lake.

Only way I say get F150 with 4.9L 4wd with 5 speed you be able get 18-22 mpg depend how you drive.

5. warthog1984

warthog1984 Well-Known Member

I've never had a problem with RWD and towing a boat right off the slimy part of the launch.

If this is something you do regularly, the EU version of the Ford Super Duty 2011 (See xcel's review) has lots of grunt and excellent MPG for the load.

6. ATaylorRacing

ATaylorRacing ATaylorRacing

It depends on the ramp and vehicle. I have seen cars at a couple of ramps have no troubles, but at other ramps I have seen two wd trucks need a tow strap to get pulled up.
    Tires would also hurt or help.

7. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Try a gravel or sand ramp. There are more conditions than not that warrant a 4x4. He did mention the Alps too.

8. gabe1475

gabe1475 Well-Known Member

I have seen people sliding into the lake with only RWD. With a 3000 kg boat, you are going to want a 4x4.

9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Wow- 15 mpg towing a 6500 lb boat in mountains- THAT IS GREAT!!
    You can't beat that with anything we have here in the USA.

Your 2.8- it is a small V-6 right? I think Dodge uses either that motor or its cousin is some vehicles here in the USA.

I'm surprised your vehicle is rated to tow 6500 lbs. Here in the USA you would need a 5000 vehicle to get that tow rating.It would certainly have a V-8. It would get under 10 mpg towing in the mountains and under 12 mpg towing in flatlands..
    A 4600lb Honda Pilot-with a 250 hp 3.5 liter V-6 is only rated to tow a 4500 lb boat.

Stick with what you have. It is a gasoline motor or a TDI? I assumed it was a spark ignition gas motor.
    Charlie

PS It is correct that Fords newest TDI monster gets great FE-might get you 15 mpg in the mountains-but it would be very expensive-$40000 here for a base model-probably $60000 in Europe. I never see 1/2 ton pickups on TV or in movies when they show European highways. It could tow your boat like it wasn't even there.It could ACCELERATE -briskly-going uphill with that tow load.

10. Taliesin

Taliesin Well-Known Member

I tow my boat constantly with a 2WD, but I will admit that I only use concrete ramps.

11. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Jongloves:

___This is one area where an 11 Ford Super Duty 4x4 w/ the 6.7L PowerStroke would handle the boat and allow 15 + easy while towing that small of a load…. In the states that is.

___How about the Ford Kuga with its TDCi? I know little about the 4x4's available in Europe so forgive me of my ignorance.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

12. Tallswede

Tallswede Member

I think his engine has to be a diesel to do that well towing that weight. My Jeep Liberty 4x4 3.7 V-6 pulling a 4500+lb boat in the Texas hill country will do about 13 mpg. I wouldn't attempt to take on the Alps with this rig. I don't have brakes on my trailer either due to salt water. Maybe our Euro brothers are into bobsledding with their trailers! LOL

Kevin

13. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

Accident (and/or ticket!) waiting to happen. Trailer brakes are your friend.

Be careful out there.

14. Tallswede

Tallswede Member

Yes, I hear you, I'm very carefull anytime I'm towing. One of the reasons I bought the '08 Liberty is because of it's tow rating (5000lbs) which was better than anything else in it's size class. It pulls surprisingly well and the brakes are the same as the larger Commander if I'm not mistaken. It stops as well as full size trucks I've had. Still, I will not pull this boat in hills if the weather is bad. Even though the '08 Liberty is larger/heavier than the first gen. it is still not a big tow vehicle. I don't use brakes on the boat trailer due to salt water which is where I usually boat. I also have a 6'x12' cargo trailer that I've converted into a mini toy hauler/camper and it tows it very well as it does my other smaller boats and trailers. If I get a larger boat, I will definately have to get a bigger tow vehicle though.

Kevin

15. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

First question I have to ask is that your budget is. I'd figure something with a ~3L turbo diesel and manual transmission would do a good job and be economical.