Limbaugh: Oil Rig Blown up by Enviro-Wackos

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Chuck, May 2, 2010.

?

Who is most responsible for the Deepwater Horizon oil spill?

1. BP

15 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Bush administration's policies

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Obama administration's policies

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  4. Terrorists

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Honest mistake: plenty of blame to go around

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

[​IMG] We should have known conspiracy theories were on the way

[FFLASH=LEFT]http://www.youtube.com/v/uRvsz83f_Og&hl=en_US&fs=1&[/FFLASH]Chuck Thomas - CleanMPG - May 2, 2010

We should have seen this coming on the blame game - a conspiracy theory. Rush Limbaugh suggested on April 29 that the timing of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill would help the Obama administration's climate change legislation. So this is an environmental version of the 1933 Reichstag fire? Or should Rush change his medication? Who is most responsible for this oil spill? BP? Policies of the Bush administration? Policies of the Obama administration? Terrorists? An honest accident with plenty of blame to spread around? Here is a story that will give some leeway for the wingnuts and moonbats...

2. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

I would say that the initial failure was probably an honest, forgivable mistake, if it was a blowout. BP's failure to plan for a blow out counts the same as planning to fail in my book.

(FTR I support responsible off-shore drilling, but BP's effort doesn't appear to have been responsible.)

3. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

The only way foul play could have caused this is an inside job at BP...few can go at that depth and cause this leak.

4. SentraSE-R

SentraSE-R Pishtaco

Whether one or both recent administrations allowed dangerous new drilling to occur, the bottom line is BP is responsible for the condition, security, and safety of its wells and drilling rigs.

It's not enough to let BP off the hook with an "honest mistake." There's no room for mistakes when mistakes ruin the environment and livelihoods for millions of Gulf Coast residents.

5. GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel Well-Known Member

It happened on Obama's watch, and he is ultimately responsible...(IMHO)

6. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

After thinking I would like to add that the government agency (and by association whatever administration was in charge at the time the permit was approved) that accepted the permit application with inadequate planning bears responsibility in addition to BP.

The response of the officials in the aftermath has been illuminating. Judging from press releases they are in the habit of relying on the expertise of industry and not much else in their decision-making.

The Obama administration will have some responsibility for the cleanup and making the responsible parties pay (BP and probably at least one subcontractor). I haven't heard whether/when the Coast Guard plans to federalize the effort.

7. Tochatihu

Tochatihu Well-Known Member

8. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

We did not post that - thank you!

9. Bruce

Bruce cheapskate

I've heard that it may be Halliburton's fault...but BP will wind up with the bill UOS.

10. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

A good examination (pardon the pun) of this conspiracy theory.

It would take a supervillian from a Bond movie to pull off this kind of oil spill - very difficult...I find that reassuring as al-Queda would love to blow up ten of these at once. :eek:

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  11. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

Alrighty then, here comes the marginalizing:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.
    No one knows what caused this, so why can't people keep an open mind until things get sorted out. maybe it was human error. Maybe it was shortcuts caused by greed. Maybe it was sabotage by disgruntled employees or environmentalist. No one knows yet. Let's get the mess cleaned up, there will lots of time to point fingers later.

12. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

My sentiments exactly. It is much more important right now to get the issue under control -- we can deal with causes and appropriate preventative measures when that has been accomplished.

13. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

I don't want to dwell on the thought if the degree of political bickering existed during WWII or the Cold War...we might defeat ourselfs.

"My country - right or wrong" has been replaced with "My party - right or wrong" :(

One of the best things that could happen to this nation is if we ignored wingnuts and moonbats and give intelligent discussion priority.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  14. Tochatihu

Tochatihu Well-Known Member

1. Of course minimizing oil release and damage must come first, and it doesn't seem to me that we are pulling people off those jobs to discuss cause or blame. If it's happening, that is inappropriate.

2. I am sure that wingnuts and moonbats have a role in the public discussions, but not quite sure exactly what it is :)

3. For quite a long time I have wished to know what transpired in Cheney's (secret) energy task force meetings. Now, it may be that a key to that lock exists. In the form of a Haliburton valve. If the longstanding desire for such a key makes me a wingnut and moonbat, then I'll just have to live with that.

DAS

15. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

While you have a point you probably have to admit that speculation is the straw that stirs the drink of many message board topics.

Anyhow, some of what has gone wrong isn't exactly a secret. Anybody who watches old John Wayne movies (Hellfighters, 1968, 3 out of 5 stars) knows it would be a good idea to know where you can get equipment to install a replacement blowout preventer in short order in case something goes wrong. (If you don't like John Wayne, you can google up stats on oil well blowouts and web presentations of what companies do to fix them.) It sounds like that's what they'll finally be able to try in about a month. I can't tell you why whoever screwed this up, but BP is the permit holder. This means they either screwed it up themselves or are responsible for hiring and supervising the people who screwed it up.

(Aside: I spent time at work last week helping prepare expert testimony in a case against BP who is playing the role of the renter who disputes property damages. In our case BP is trying to transfer final remediation responsibilities to someone whose property they released gasoline on. BP has deep pockets and good attorneys, so who knows how the case will turn out. I expect similar cases of partial clean-up will play out for years after this disaster. )

16. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Blaming liberals for an oil spill caused by a corporation is a textbook example of the irrational partisanship of a wingbnut such as Rush Limbaugh.

While wingnuts can some times refer to loonies on the extreme left, moonbats is probably a more common term.

My beef with both is their communication is agitation to promote their agenda and stifle the intelligent discussion that is sorely lacking.

17. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

Exactly. All i have heard up till now is that there was "an explosion and fire" at this oil platform. My point is that it could have been equipment failure, human error, Dangerous corner cutting, a pissed off employee, or a pissed off environmentalist. we just don't know and for extremists on both sides of the political spectrum to hurl accusations is just silly.

18. drimportracing

drimportracing Pizza driver: 61,000+ deliveries

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  19. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___With the three principals pointing fingers, let us hope the wells can be capped sooner than later…

___Regarding Limbaugh, now there is a guy that knows a lot about Deep Water Drilling. The only thing he knows is how to dig the last pill out of his prescription Pharmaceutical bottles the last I heard :rolleyes:

___Good Luck

___Wayne