Lowest electric bill ever.

Discussion in 'Emissions' started by southerncannuck, Apr 30, 2010.

1. southerncannuck

southerncannuck Well-Known Member

Last month's bill showed we used 565 KWH. This is for an all electric home with a hot tub. How does this measure up with you guys? For our part, it's 1/4 what we used for the same month in 2004 (1,967 KWH).

2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I don't have my April bill, but February and March were my highest ever. :( This cold winter, combined with a renovation project that required insulation removal = bad.

3. BailOut

BailOut My favorite holiday is Earth Day!

Well done, southerncannuck! If more folks would strive for such numbers our nation's energy numbers would look much different.

Our home's energy usage has been a little higher this year due to my wife working from home full time and me working from home a few days each week, but we're not doing badly. We also cook almost every meal at home.

April 2010: 486 kWh, 73 natural gas therms

This represents less electrical usage than this time last year (likely due to our still-increasing discipline with lighting and appliances as well as our new high efficiency clothing washer) but higher natural gas usage (likely due to the colder temperatures this year - it just snowed another foot in the mountains earlier this week).

4. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Just received my bill for Mar. and Apr. for 62 days and it came in at 620 kWh for $75.94. I do not have a hot tube! Our home averages 10kWh per day.
    Cheers;

H

5. southerncannuck

Harold, that's incredible. Have you done anything to you house/lifestyle to get those numbers?

6. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Wow- you have electric heat??We-NOLA- had a cold winter-guess you-FLA- did also??
    In the dead of winter-with us using natural gas for heat- we use in the 600-800 KWHr range.The majority of our use is the electric dryer-6000 watts per hour- or 60 cents per hour to run-6 KWHrs per day usually.

I keep hoping that electric dryer will die so I can substitute a gas dryer.

During the summer we used to use 2500 KWHrs during July/Aug- now we use maybe 1700-after painting the roof white.
    Charlie

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  7. Gairwyn

Gairwyn think green

Our April bill says we used 398 kWh. I have to start tracking this from month to month. In the warm weather I try to dry our clothing out on the clothesline, so I want to see if that makes a difference, although I suppose increased air conditioner use would take the place of the electricity we save by hanging the clothes on the line.

8. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Nice avatar, Gairwyn. :) :thumbs_up:

9. Gairwyn

Gairwyn think green

Hey, thanks. It only took me months to figure out how to post pictures and only until 3AM last night to get my avatar set up. :rolleyes: (Not the most computer-literate person ever...)
    Yeah, that's my little car, in front of my little house, trying to be green.

10. phoebeisis

Gairwyn- yes using a clothes line will save LOTS of power.Our dryer uses almost 40 amps-220 volts and it takes nearly an hour.It literally uses 6 KWHr per day- or almost 200 per month!!
    On nice low humidity spring days you can save 60 cents by hanging it outside. And save many many pounds of CO2 since the electricity is natural gas or coal generated(some of ours is NUKE in south Louisiana)

Charlie

11. Gairwyn

Gairwyn think green

Charlie,
    Are you cleaning out the lint trap in your dryer after every use? It sounds like your dryer uses a lot of electricity. You'd be surprised how much lint can accumulate in the lint trap, causing less airflow, and more energy use (kind of like a clogged air filter in a car).

12. BailOut

BailOut My favorite holiday is Earth Day!

Unfortunately our HOA has a regulation specifically against clothes lines so we must machine dry. Our dryer has the same type of circuit that yours does but we now have an HE washer that removes so much of the water that the drying time for a full load is less than 25 minutes when using the auto-sensor settings.

13. lxmike

lxmike Well-Known Member

I just paid my electric bill yesterday! used 409 kwh this month compared to 431 same time last year. bill was under $40 between me and my brother we probly wash/dry 3-4 loads a week. In summertime is when we see our useage jump. Once we start using the ac. our old unir finaly died on us in 2008 and since getting it replaced we've only had maybe 2 month where we used over 1000 kwh .

14. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Ditto.

We replaced an old top loader with an LG Tromm WM2233H. It saves 20 minutes drying per load. But we dry on a clothes line when the weather's warmer and it's not raining.

Our dryer is a KitchenAid (KEYS750GQ0) (my wife doesn't know how old) and is 120/240V 28A running on 240V so could up to 6.72kW. Towels take 70 minutes in it (haven't ever tried the sensor dry).

15. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Our rolling annualized monthly average* is 673.92kWh, and has gradually been creeping down from 735.83kWh in February 2009. (Household reduced to 4 in Feb 2008, new washing machine Aug? 2008, clothes line in summer 2008) I think the only things that can keep the average dropping for a little while is that I replaced my wife's old P4 PC and CRT with a netbook and an LCD monitor and unplugged speakers and a webcam and use built-ins, plus we replaced phone + answering machine + caller id with a single digital unit.

Our hogs:
    - Separate freezer: nearly empty, hopefully will shut it off soon
    - Refrigerator-freezer, dryer
    - Multiple old TVs, 3 used more than others.
    - Wife's disabled*** brother at home with TV on a lot
    - My laptop. :D
    - Teenager who doesn't care about electricity consumption and has a laptop running all the time, multiple vampire consoles and a ceiling fan running all the time**
    - Lizard tank lights: ~ 66W x 16h/day
    - Fan run at night for noise to help sleep - probably not that big a deal.
    - Some A/C use in summer.

* I like spreadsheets
    ** To be fair the upstairs of our (now oversized) house has two rooms full of crap and generally is too hot. Better than running the A/C a lot I suppose.
    *** Real and permanent, although social services keep insisting on occasional reviews because their policies are more retarded.

16. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

sotherncannuck we heat with natural gas so that may be the difference. Heat and hot water including a natural gas barbecue runs at $82 per mth. averaged over the year. We dry our cloths outside on a cloths line when weather permits and all lights are compact florescent. H

17. bomber991

bomber991 Well-Known Member

Last year in may was my experiment without using any A/C at all. We ended up using 364kWh. I guess it'd be lower if we didn't have a refrigerator, because I'm sure it's gotta come on more often to keep the inside cool. It sucks though at this apartment there's a rule about not hanging your clothes up on your balcony to dry. I guess it doesn't matter though cause the balcony is too small to hang a full load of clothes on it anyway.

18. fuzzy

fuzzy Mild hypermiler

7762 kwh for the 12 months ended March 30, my first year with a ductless mini-split heat pump, and the first year of never firing up the wood stove. That compares to 9884 for the previous 12 months, 11 of them without the heat pump.

This is in the Puget Sound area. Before my conservation measures began about four years ago, annual use ranged from 10200 to 11700 over the prior decade, with some supplemental wood heat when regional air quality rules allowed. With new EnergyStar washer and dishwasher and some additional gap sealing of the building envelope, usage initially dropped to 9200, but had crept up again due to rising thermostat settings and declining stove use.

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  19. southerncannuck

It looks like a lot of us Hyper Mile our houses!

20. phoebeisis

Gairwyn- my wife is pretty compulsive about cleaning that lint trap.Glad you mentioned it, because that is EXACTLY the sort of thing I ignore when I occasionally use the dryer.
    Because of economics-broke/debt/usual story- we are stuck with this dryer until it croaks. My wife's mother bought it in 1982-we got it from her in 1990!! Obviously they don't make things like they used to.The darned thing occasionally breaks-the belt breaks- but it is cheap enough that it is worth fixing!!
    I could buy a used gas dryer on CL for maybe $100-I already have the gas hookup in the washer room- I certainly wouldn't pay a pro to install it-despite fooling with gas hookups-I would just ask a buddy how to safely do the hookup-and use my nose(yes, certainly not smart and certainly against some sort of building code). They-gas appliances-seem to use these flexible accordion type hoses. Just screw on screw off.There must be some sealing "goo" or tape?? Surely a compression fitting won't seal natural gas well enough??
    Bottom line I'm stuck with this 6-7KWHr per hour dryer until it actually dies(and it won't).In general heavy loads take almost an hour!

On the bright side my wife is game to hang the items on the line.In the summer- 95 degrees- stuff will dry in a couple of hours despite out high humidity(maybe 60% at 90 degrees- close to 100% when it drops to 80 degrees late at night).

Bailout- wow- Reno is REALLY HOT AND DRY RIGHT?? Too bad those busy body home owners associations are so far behind the times. You live in the perfect place to use a clothes line.

We have central air- 12.0 SEER 3.5 tons-roughly 3.5 KWHrs per hour- or almost 40 cents per hour.It could easily run 24 hours/d- 2500 KWHr per month just by itself. More reasonably it could run 16 hours/d with the thermostat set at 78 degrees( 1600 KWHr/month by itself). We got some reasonably efficient small 5000-6000 BTU window units- EER+9.7-10.8- at night and at many times during the day we use just the window units when we are in one of the rooms with them,

Painting the roof dropped our power use by about 25% during the worst 4 months. It probably increased our use of natural gas in the winter- but last winter we had an unusually cold winter-so it is tough to say how much.Normally the heater only goes on maybe 20-40 days/y.It was on maybe 100 days-and we had strings of under 40 degree days-all day under 40 degrees. Unusual.
    Charlie