Alcohol free gas finder

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by ALS, Apr 19, 2010.

1. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

I ran across this web site that lists Gas Stations by state that sell straight gas.

Pure Gas

2. lxmike

lxmike Well-Known Member

Nice Find!!

3. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Wait, the stuff does exist here in MN?? :eek:

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MN

That Maple Grove location is a bit out of the way for me, but closer than the other alternatives...

How is the ethanol content verified?

4. Ford Man

Ford Man Well-Known Member

Dang, closest to me is about 40 miles away in a direction I never go.

5. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

That listed one I didn't know about. I'll check it. My wife usually travels that route, so it might be a good option for her to use.

In Texas at least, a label on the pump is required for anything above 1% ethanol. No label = no ethanol, and mislabeling risks fines.

6. Right Lane Cruiser

No labels here...

7. oldlar

oldlar Well-Known Member

I stopped at the BP one listed in Melboure and all their pumps said 10% ehanol blend.. I had purchased gas there before. Their big sign had ethanol free gas, but was no longer posted at least for today.

8. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Great find!

Three of those stations are 75-85 miles away but if I'm ever near....

9. Taliesin

Taliesin Well-Known Member

3 stations in Missouri?!?

But the closest one is over 60 miles away where I never go, and only 91 octane is sold ethanol free.

10. worthywads

worthywads Don't Feel Like Satan, I am to AAA

Sadly my Boulder station that used to have a huge REAL GAS ALCOHOL FREE sign out front did not hang the sign this spring and is not on the list???? I went a few miles out of the way once a month, no need anymore. :(

11. JohnM

JohnM Well-Known Member

I have been using Kwik Fill in Rochester NY for about a year now and saw my mpg increase by 4-5%. If you use their charge card they also cut give you a rebate of 5 cents / gallon. A double win.

12. GrnHrnt

GrnHrnt Well-Known Member

Thanks I will be bookmarking that. Unfortunately there are no entries for my state yet AZ.

13. jimepting

jimepting Well-Known Member

Getting to be pretty rare stuff. I'm told that the 93 Octane stuff that we buy at Summit Point Raceway, in WV, is ethanol free. Of course, it costs $5-6/gal depending on overall gas prices. I've been tempted to buy some just to see what difference it would really make on my Insight.

I have found that there are a fair number of outlets for racing gas, and 93 Octane is usually available at these places. But the economics just doesn't work out unless one is going for some big numbers and is willing to pay up. Not me - not most of the time ;-)

14. Right Lane Cruiser

All I'm going to say is that I can often top 130mpg on the way home from work in the summer on E10... ;)

15. Sulfuric

Sulfuric Well-Known Member

But what can you top with E0 :D

16. PaleMelanesian

According to the BTU content of gas and ethanol, 134.16 mpg.

or 134.297 depending on how you do the math. 3.2% or 1/(1-3.2%) = 3.3% up.

17. PaleMelanesian

I verified it - that one new-to-me station does not have Ethanol warning stickers on the pumps.

18. Ford Man

Ford Man Well-Known Member

While on the site I clicked on the details of one of the stations at an Ingles supermarket and it said that all Ingles stations sell ethanol free gas. I know there are a few Ingles close by, but I don't know if any of them have gas pumps or not. I thought this information might help others in NC and maybe other states, since I don't know what all states have Ingles supermarkets.

19. moneysaver

moneysaver Well-Known Member

Nothing close to me...so i will have the car drink alcohol...meh...

20. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

The pure-gas site only lists 3 locations in Oregon. Here's a much more complete list, updated regularly by the state gubmint itself:

http://www.oregon.gov/OSMB/news/docs/EthanolList.pdf

We didn't have ethanol free gas anywhere in the state in 2009, but as of January 1st stations may now sell ethanol free premium. Ostensibly this is for marine and aviation use, and most of the retail locations on this list are airports and marinas. But some rural automotive pumps are now carrying the stuff, though unfortunately none near me yet. There are a whole bunch of marinas in my area (including one just 2 miles from my house) carrying it, so I might have to start making some phone calls and find out if any of their pumps have drive-up access.