Is there a way to calculate Avg MPH?

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by Slick26, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Slick26

Slick26 Member

Thats the one thing that has been bugging me lately. Mainly on this forum, it always asks for average MPH. Well since my car doesn't do it for me, how am I supposed to know? But I DO want to know! Is there a formula, at the end of the tank - like calculating MPG, that I can use to figure this out?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Oh... my name is Eric btw. I'm new here. :)

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Eric:

___Welcome to CleanMPG! Make sure you do a proper introduction in the Introduction forum when you have the chance.

___Of the tens of pics I have taken of the Scan Gauge II displays, I did not take one of the average tank mph. It is just one of the data sets available when using this must have tool for some of us. The NAVI equipped Honda’s (at least the Accord’s and all the Acura’s IIRC) have a tank mph average displayed in their history pages. Most however just guesstimate knowing it takes so many minutes to get to work and back as well as the distance for however many times, including a few slow speed trips to the store and back and maybe a lengthy highway segment …

___Good Luck

___Wayne

3. Slick26

Slick26 Member

Yeah I've been wanting to pick one of those up. I just always have something else to spend my money on... like GAS!

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Eric:

___Whoops, I did not take one of a particular tank but did take one of a “Today’s” display which is one of four available (Current, Today, Previous Day, and Tank).

[​IMG]

___Good Luck

___Wayne

5. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

Average miles per hour is just what speed do you think your average is. Some displays in cars have it, others don't. In mine I don't have it so I just kind of eyeball it and figure if I'm mostly at 35mph but ocassionally go higher or lower I'm going to say 35. Just take an educated guess if you like.

One way to figure it though is get the time you leave, subtract that time from the time you arrive. Divide that by miles driven.

An example:

Simple:

I leave the house and it is 8:01 I drive 17 miles. I get to work at 9:01. 9:01 - 8:01 is 60 minutes. 17 miles / 60 minutes = 17 miles per hour.

Less simple

I leave at 8:01 driving 17 miles and arrive at 8:31. I drove 30 minutes. 30 minutes divided by 60 minutes(1 hour) = .5 of an hour (or 1/2). 17 miles divided by .5 hours = 34 miles per hour.

So it is miles driven divided by (time/60). I think that formula is pretty much it. I hope you can understand one of these formulas. I'm not good at math at all and poorer at explaining.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2006