Hi New Member

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by cbass, Dec 23, 2006.

1. cbass

cbass New Member

Well I like this site but I have an Honda Accord V6 AT. I am not sure I will be able to adopt anything here because it looks like everyone has a hybrid. I have a 15mile commute that has 10 lights between home and work. I do not nail the accelerator from stops and I try to keep the shifts at 2000 to 2500 rpm. When I reach 50 mph my rpm drops to 1500rpm. I have another route that is all hwy, but since they built this new road that I am currently using, cuts 10 miles off my commute.
    I increased my tire pressure from recommended 32 to 37 and I managed to get 160mpg on 8.55 gal. Which is around 19 mpg. My a highway trip this summer I was able to get 29 mpg by doing the speed limit (55mph) with the cruise control on. I tried no a/c for about a week and I could not keep that up. I had sweet pouring off me. Well that is my thoughts on my driving and the commute.

2. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

cbass,

Don't get discouraged - the Accord is a good car. It definitely gets well above the US average fuel economy of 22mpg.

Newton's laws of motion applies to every vehicle. "Driving while the iron is hot" is good for hybrid and non-hybrid car alike. And getting a www.scangage.com is an option you can exercise!

3. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

Welcome cbass! When I first started hanging around here it kind of looked like everyone had a hybrid but I soon found out otherwise. I have a Saturn and I have learned many things from here. I was getting low 40's mpg with my SOHC Saturn and and was able to bring that up to the mid 50's. I now drive a DOHC Saturn and my average is hovering just under 51 mpg with a few tanks in the mid 50's. When you have time, read up on any posts by Xcel, krousdb, and psyshack and a few others that I can't recall at the moment and I think you will find a bunch of information that will be helpful to you. Also, look up the article, "The Why's and how to Hypermile" for a small goldmine of info that will apply to us non-hybrid drivers.

4. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Welcome! As Delta Flyer said, many if not most of the techniques apply to any car you could own. We don't discriminate by type of vehicle because that would be kind of pointless.

That said, Honda makes a really outstanding V6 when it comes to fuel economy. If you are willing to learn about FE driving and pick a few techniques that work with your driving cycle I bet you could be well into the 30mpg range with that car. Wayne, who is averaging in the 47-48mpg range in a 4-cyl AT Accord (seriously...he's a machine) has albeit proven that an automatic transmission shouldn't hold you back much if at all.

Have a look through the forums if you haven't already and feel free to ask all the questions you want, no matter how basic. Driving for efficiency isn't all that hard, it just takes some time investment while you get a handle on things.

5. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

Welcome to CleanMPG. I have about 42 lights on my commute the trick I have found is to try to eliminate them by either finding an alternate route or by trying to time them the best I can. If I get stuck at one I don't get discouraged and just try to time the next one. Always try to look 3 lights ahead if you can. If you see the farthest one turning red you may as well start coasting since whether or not the two closest to you are green, you will definatly be stopped at the red one if you don't try to time it right.

6. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

Welcome!

That v6 Accord will show you some mpg love. :)

Take it easy. and let the mpg come to you.

psy

7. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Texas Saying: If it's True - it Ain't Braggin

cbass,

I hope you came back to see this.

Since I was not the one that got 59mpg in an Accord, in good conscious I can post this Mother Jones article.

Stick around so you can get some tips on how to do it. :)

8. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

Re: Texas Saying: If it's True - it Ain't Braggin

That's the first time I've read that article. Absolutely amazing! I think it should be required reading for anyone who is serious about increasing FE. Wayne has been in my car before for a mini clinic and now I know he must have been showing considerable restraint while putting up with my learning curve. ;) Very inspiring article.