diesel smart fortwo

Discussion in 'Mercedes-Benz' started by smartzuuk, Apr 7, 2010.

1. smartzuuk

smartzuuk Efficiency Matters

Didn't notice too many threads here on smarts in general. I've got 3 right now - two are diesels, and 1 is gas. Some of you are probably familiar with my site www.100mpg.ca or clubsmartcar.com

My best mileage to dat is 105 mpg US

I know a few of you have diesel smarts in the US

Kinda think a 2000-2006 Insight with a smart cdi engine would be incredible for mileage. The smart is not too aerodynamic

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2010
  2. gabe1475

gabe1475 Well-Known Member

What do you typically gat in the gas version? Wish I had the option of getting the diesel.

3. Mike T

Mike T smart car dummy

I have two diesels too (smartzuuk has only one now but it's a NICE one).

I've never been tempted to get the gas version to be honest, because the diesel is so charming (original body style) and the fuel economy is really great.

Here is my newest diesel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Very nice looking!

5. Mike T

Mike T smart car dummy

Thanks, it was converted at the BRABUS factory to look like that. smartzuuk's is identical but all red instead of all white, and the seats on his have red, not white stitching. Only 4 of these BRABUS conversions were imported to Canada.

6. Mike T

Mike T smart car dummy

Here is his car when it was in Toronto before he bought it earlier this year. The colour in this photo is terrible, the car is Ferrari red in person.

[​IMG]

7. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

zippy, great gas mileage and good lookers to boot. can't really beat that ;).

8. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

How can anyone license a diesel Smart in the USA.
    You Canadians have them, but I didn't think there was any reasonable way to have one in the USA(short of faking some paper work, and not living in a state that does yearly pollution tests on the cars)
    Charlie

9. Mike T

Mike T smart car dummy

I know of 18 in the USA. One of those is there on a British Columbia plate (naughty) and the other 17 are legally registered down there, somehow. Despite the sticker by the engine compartment that clearly states: "THIS CAR NOT INTENDED FOR SALE IN THE USA".

10. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

You can import vehicles to the US -- it is just much more prohibitively expensive to do these days than it used to be.