Hi from Ocala, FL

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by tswill2, Dec 22, 2006.

1. tswill2

tswill2 New Member

Hello - I now have a Highlander Hybrid and am getting about 28 mpg in the city, and 32 on the state highways at 45 to 55 mph. Not bad for a start! Sure better than the 17 to 22 mpg I got with the Sienna minivan I had before.

2. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

Welcome to CleanMPG! I'd bet your mileage will go up a little more if you hang around and start practicing. I'm glad you dropped by. If you want specific help make sure to post in the "start your journey here" forum and give details on your commute. 32mpg isn't bad, but I'm thinking you can get a bit more out of it with practice.

3. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Welcome to CleanMPG!

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Tom:

___First off, welcome to CleanMPG! From what I have seen of other HiHy drivers, you are doing excellent!

___I have only been in a HiHy once with no actual behind the wheel experience but I believe its HSD is slightly more advanced (or just different) then the Prius II’s. “N” gliding might be a technique you can explore depending on how easy you can feather her into a pure Glide at various speeds. Your own skills will be improving as well so don’t think you have plateaued just yet ;) I cannot think of a better locale to own a hybrid in right now then Florida so take advantage of your great weather and temperatures before the heat returns in 3 + months.

___If what I have mentioned above sounds completely foreign, don’t worry, you will find plenty of help in the near future if you would like to pursue it further.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

5. tswill2

tswill2 New Member

Hello Wayne - and thanks for the welcome. Last first, HiHy is a new term/abrv., but quickly figured out, and HSD I tracked down soon enuf.
    The numbers I stated 28/32, were for normal driving, not gliding, or other attempts at maxing the mpg. On a level stretch of highway in cruise control at 50 mph I have seen short term average mpg in the 40 to 50 range. That implies that it should be possible to get up in the 60s with pulse and glide. Toyota states in the owner's manual that the HSD has a learning curve and not to expect max mpg for the first couple of 'thousand' miles! As I am at just over 1000 now, I guess it has a bit more to learn.
    Is there a database of other HiHy owner feedback?
    Tom

_"__I have only been in a HiHy once with no actual behind the wheel experience but I believe its HSD is slightly more advanced (or just different) then the Prius II’s. “N” gliding might be a technique you can explore depending on how easy you can feather her into a pure Glide at various speeds. Your own skills will be improving as well so don’t think you have plateaued just yet I cannot think of a better locale to own a hybrid in right now then Florida so take advantage of your great weather and temperatures before the heat returns in 3 + months.
    ___If what I have mentioned above sounds completely foreign, don’t worry, you will find plenty of help in the near future if you would like to pursue it further. "

6. hobbit

hobbit He who posts articles

Hey, I went through your town on the way down here! There were
    a lot of lights.
    _H*