Smart Fortwo an even better bargain?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Apr 6, 2010.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Daimler authorizes an incredible rebate on every 2009 Fortwo.

[fimg=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Driving_SMART_-_in_front_of_the_Pacific_Ocean_in_San_Francisco_News.jpg[/fimg]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - April 6, 2010

Smart Fortwo along the Pacific.

Rated at 33 city/41 highway and 36 combined, it is the most fuel efficient conventionally powered automobile in the US.

Regarding its safety attributes, with a Smart named "tridion" safety cell, front and side airbags, it earned a “Good” rating in front and side impacts, a “Good” rating for roof crush strength and an “Average” rating for rear impact crash protection from the IIHS. Not bad for a vehicle that is just 8.8 ft long.

While the Smart Fortwo has never been a stellar seller, it is an interesting vehicle to drive given the unusual attention it receives. Its real purpose for being however was not just to look as cute as a button but its superb fuel economy offset’s Mercedes range of FSP’s in order to keep ahead of today’s CAFÉ’ standards.

With the Smart Fortwo seeing a monthly low sales volume of just 278 vehicles in January of 2010, Daimler had to make the Smart far more attractive to the average consumer. In Mid-January, Daimler authorized a Smart Fortwo leasing program which helped move sales volume off the January bottom but it only reclaimed approximately a third the Fortwo’s former sales glory. Ok, glory was a bit strong but at least reach a former mean ;)

With the recently posted March sales of 677 Fortwo’s, sales can best be described as “mired”. So what did Daimler execute? The company has now authorized a new program and it’s a doozy. There is now a large percentage of the vehicles retail price, $3,000 to be exact, placed on the hood of every new 2009 Smart Fortwo. This makes it not only the most fuel efficient conventionally powered automobile sold in the US but also the least expensive by quite a margin.

[​IMG]
    Smart Fortwo sales from initial launch in February of 2008 through March 31, 2010​

2009 Smart Fortwo pricing after rebate pricing details

$3,000 in Customer Cash is provided by Smart USA and is not available and cannot be combined with any other offer or program. Customer Cash is only valid toward the purchase of any new 2009 Smart Fortwo. Customers must take delivery by April 30, 2010.

2009 Smart Fortwo Pure Coupe - $8,990
    2009 Smart Fortwo Passion Coupe - $10,990
    2009 Smart Fortwo Passion Cabriolet - $13,990

2009 Smart Fortwo Option pricing

Pure Factory installed options
    • Air conditioning with automatic temperature control (incl. dust, pollen filter) - $600
    • Metallic paint (gray, blue, silver) - $225
    • Silver metallic tridion safety cell - $175
    • Alarm system - $160
    • Power steering - $450
    • Heated seats - $220
    • Smart Radio (AM/FM, single CD; incl. 2 speakers, aux input jack) - $350
    • Smart premium radio (AM/FM, mp3-compatible 6 disc CD changer; incl. 2 speakers, aux input jack) - $495
    Passion factory installed options
    • Alarm system - $160
    • Power steering - $450
    • Heated seats - $220
    • Fog lamps - $110
    • Additional instruments - $120
    • Solid roof - NC
    • Smart premium radio (AM/FM, mp3-compatible 6 disc CD changer; incl. 2 speakers, aux input jack) $150
    Passion Option packages

Smart premium sound system - $350
    - Smart premium radio (AM/FM, mp3-compatible 6 disc CD changer; aux input jack)
    - Smart sound system (2 tweeters, 2 mid range, and subwoofer)

Comfort Package $850
    - Power steering
    - Leather seats
    - Heated seats
    - Fog lamps

Cabriolet factory installed options
    • Alarm system - $160
    • Power steering - $450
    • Heated seats - $220
    • Fog lamps - $110
    • Additional instruments - $120
    Cabriolet Option packages

Comfort Package $850
    - Power steering
    - Leather seats
    - Heated seats
    - Fog lamps

The rebate will certainly have an effect on resale but it might be enough to get the car in more consumers’ hands. If said consumer’s are looking for a cute but small two-seater with a somewhat unorthodox manuamtic automatic transmission?

CleanMPG previews the Smart Fortwo

2. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Wow, a Smart Pure with A/C and radio for under $10k?! Incredible. What the heck, throw in the butt heaters and you're still at just $10,160.

3. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

I have seen a few around me and they are just too small for me to get use to. Even though it is more than twice as expensive if I had to go to a small conventional car a used Mini Cooper or new 2011 Ford Focus would be my choice.

Mini Cooper 28 City - 37 Highway and 32 Combined.
    2011 Focus 43 Highway

4. saturnsc2

saturnsc2 Well-Known Member

seems like the mpg should be better given the tiny size. I know the diesel version does awesome but doesn't seem like the gas one does that great. Not worth the tradeoff in size to me either...maybe it is in the gearing?

5. Rokeby

Rokeby Gen II Prianista

Wayne, thanks for your thought provoking post. :lightbulb:

I'm thinking four-wheeled motorcycle. :p

Heck, a new Harley can go for twice that.

With a convertable, "Cabriolet" SmartCar you could be-bop around in comfort,
    no matter the weather, CD/radio blasting...

Top and windows up or down as the weather dictates...

And getting better MPGs than the Harley too! :D

(I think Wayne is going to do a quick BMW-centric come-back, :rolleyes:)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  6. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

43 highway for the 2011 Focus? Where did you get that info?

7. xcel

Hi Ricardo:

___"Don't ask and Don't Tell" ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

8. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

I was gonna ask Ricardo's question too ... 43mpg hwy would be blockbusting. Care to share whether that is for the MT or AT?

9. xcel

Hi Guys:

___Not to go too far OT but search here for the Lincoln C and you will see all you need to see ;)

___Regarding the Smart Fortwo, this is one heck of a bargain. While not perfect, a touch over $10K for a very unique Passion with the removable roof glass is great.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

10. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Googled "2011 Ford Focus fuel mileage"

I got several hits stating Fords PR department is putting that number out, no city or combined yet.

11. xcel

Hi Al:

___Not Google, here at CleanMPG ;) The Lincoln C concept was the first concept with the EcoBoosted 1.6L and it was rated for 43 mpgUS highway!

Ford’s Lincoln C -- EcoBoosted 1.6L w/ dual clutch 6-speed worth upwards of 43 mpgUS
    ___That ICE has world record written all over it if equipped with a tall stick ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

12. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

I bet it'll get the PowerShift 6 and not a tall stick.

I test drove a used ForTwo Passion the other day. To be blunt, I didn't like it. Rear visibility was terrible through the vehicle, and I don't think it had the ECU update for shifting. It felt like a novice out for their first time in a manual car - clutch action was jerky and the car lurched every shift. I was even trying to be off the gas when it shifted; didn't seem to help.

I hope between the computer updates and other revisions they got that fixed!

13. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

Wayne,
    Unfortunately, the roof on the passion coupe is not removable. The polycarbonate "panoramic" roof has a sunshade that can be rolled up to allow some light in. The Passion cabriolet has the convertible top.
    The price for a basic Passion coupe including freight would be $11,785. Not a bad price for how well the car is equipped. $10,235 will buy you a Pure coupe with A/C.
    I am kicking around selling my xB and picking up a new 2009 fortwo to keep our 2008 company..LOL. Not sure if i want to do that or not, guess it depends a lot on how much i can get for my xB

Nevyn, the shifting of a fortwo takes a little getting used to. A quick test drive will usually leave the impression you came away with. Spending a day or two with some decent windshield time will make a big difference. Also, using the paddle shifters can smooth things out.

Saturnsc2, your comment comes up pretty much every time the fortwo gets discussed. Let me put it this way: An average driver with no clue what 'hypermiling' is, can easily jump into a fortwo and get well over 40MPG. You refer to "tradeoff in size". You see, i don't think the size is a "tradeoff". The smart will carry me, or me and my wife, comfortably and economically to wherever we wish to go. It will easily carry all the groceries for my weekly shopping trip. Now, i will mention i have larger cars at my disposal. In fact, if we could only have ONE vehicle, it would not be the fortwo. But for a second or third vehicle, for a daily get one or two people to work and back vehicle, they are a good choice. With the rebate, they are a bargain. I could see Wayne hitting the 60's in one.

14. Gas-x

Gas-x Well-Known Member

What makes the fortwo such a good mpg machine? What gives it so much potential to bring in good mpg numbers? Weight? any different engine features?

15. xcel

Hi Gas-X:

___It is a micro with a 1.0L Mitsubishi engine. Not a great engine but in a car that weighs about half what an Accord does, that is why it offers 36 mpgUS combined. It is a head turner for sure but you really have to drive one to experience it... Along with the bad as well.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

16. Gas-x

Gas-x Well-Known Member

How has the mitsubishi engine been for durabiliy in the smart? So it's a mercedes designed car with a mitsubishi engine?

17. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

The MItsu 3B21 engine was first produced in late 2005 for the JDM Kei car. It was 659cc. The 999cc version was slated for the latest generation smart fortwo. There have been no reports of durability issues, but the engine is still fairly 'young'. It is designed for long life and low maintenance, and in the smart it has 10,000 synthetic oil change intervals. It has a timing chain instead of a belt.
    Although the car has a 36 combined rating, most people who own them have little trouble getting into the 40's.