The Many Faces of NUMMI – Last vehicle driven off the line this morning

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Apr 2, 2010.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Meet just a few of the thousands that built GM and Toyota vehicles over the last 25 years.

[fimg=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/NUMMI-15.jpg[/fimg]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG – April 1, 2010

The last car, a 2010 Toyota Corolla was driven off the NUMMI assembly line today…

The last car has been built.

The employees shifts are over.

The lights have been turned off.

The only thing left are the memories :ccry:

GM and Toyota’s joint venture began in 1984 as NUMMI or New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc. The plant was originally a shuttered GM plant in Fremont, California that was reopened specifically to manufacture vehicles sold under both brands. GM pulled out of the venture in June 2009.

While under the NUMMI moniker, the plant produced nearly 8 million cars and trucks over the last 25-years. The last car built, a 2010 Toyota Corolla S, was completed this morning at 09:21 AM, Pacific Standard Time.

“We want to thank generations of NUMMI team members whose skill and pride in their work contributed to numerous innovations in automotive assembly here in Fremont,” said NUMMI President and CEO Kent Ogura. “Our attention now will focus on helping to find a new owner that will re-use this site so that it continues to serve the Fremont community and the Bay Area.”

Employment in its heyday was nearly 5,500 with tens of thousands of periphery supplier and support jobs. Beginning tomorrow, they are gone.

This is my dedication to those that worked through the years at one of the most productive auto plants in the world… Good Luck to you all.

The many faces of NUMMI – Truck Line employees saying “Goodbye and Thank You”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last Truck, a Toyota Tacoma driven off last week...

The many faces of NUMMI – Car Line employees saying "Goodbye to their friends"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The last car, a Toyota Corolla driven off the line today.​

Thanks for the memories…

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Toyota's take on completion of production at the NUMMI facility.

The scene was witnessed by many of the team members at the plant. NUMMI was established in 1984 at Fremont, California as a joint venture between Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) and General Motors (GM), and has produced nearly 8 million vehicles throughout its history. Even after production ceased, some team members stayed on for maintenance, cleaning paint guns and replacing tips for welding machines.

"I would like to express my deepest appreciation to the NUMMI team members who have worked to produce Toyota and GM cars there, the suppliers, as well as those in the local community. I would also like to thank GM, who have been our partners in production for 25 years at the plant," said TMC President Akio Toyoda. "I was told NUMMI team members gave their all in making vehicles, up to that last Corolla, and stayed on even after production stopped to maintain equipment. I am truly moved by the spirit of manufacturing that they have shown."

3. booferama

booferama He who posts articles

This American Life did an amazing story on NUMMI last weekend. Someone else posted the link in another thread, but I thought I'd mention it again.