Nissan attaches hefty $40,600 price tag to electric Leaf in Japan

Discussion in 'Nissan' started by Right Lane Cruiser, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

[​IMG] Government subsidies and low running costs expected to bolster appeal to customers.

[FIMG=LEFT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Nissan_Leaf_BEV.jpg[/FIMG]Sean Welch - CleanMPG - Mar. 30, 2010

Hefty indeed... will it be priced lower here in the US?

It has been widely touted as the first mainstream all electric vehicle, but Nissan's Leaf is likely to have something of a premium price tag after the company today confirmed the first models of the zero emission hatchback will sell for $40,602 USD in Japan.

Nissan Will Launch New Season for Mobility in April by Starting Pre-Orders for Nissan LEAF in Japan.

Pricing in Japan will be $32,287 USD after anticipated government incentives.

Down-payment of $25,916 USD, and a low monthly fee for energy costs, can put consumers on the road to zero-emission driving.

Company and dealers promise simple, one-stop shop experience.

Nissan announced two key milestones as the company gets closer to the December delivery of Nissan LEAF, the world's first truly affordable, mass-market, all-electric zero-emission car. Specifically, the company announced the beginning of the pre-order process in Japan, as well as market-specific pricing for consumers. Other markets will announce their own pre-order process and pricing soon.

Speaking at the Nissan Global Headquarters, Nissan Chief Operating Officer Toshiyuki Shiga announced that beginning April 1st consumers will be able to visit dealers throughout Japan to place their orders for Nissan LEAF. Mr. Shiga was joined for the announcement by Takao Katagiri, Senior Vice President for Sales & Marketing in Japan, who announced pricing and explained the purchase process.

In Japan, the price of Nissan LEAF will start from $40,602 USD. If current government incentives in Japan continue through fiscal year 2010, Nissan LEAF will be eligible for a $8,315 USD government incentive credit. With the incentive, the consumer's net price for Nissan LEAF will be $32,287 USD. Nissan LEAF will also be exempt from the car-weight tax and the car-acquisition tax. Nissan offers customers various purchasing methods, including a Nissan Auto Loan. For example, Nissan has designed a program that allows consumers to pay only $25,916 USD as a down-payment and then a low monthly fee of $108 USD, which includes the cost for electricity. This approach makes Nissan LEAF not only radical in its technology, but also radical in its affordability for consumers.

Compared to cars in a similar class, Nissan LEAF's cost of ownership is competitive. Driving Nissan LEAF requires only electricity. During six years of ownership, the electricity cost would be $929 USD. By contrast, the gasoline cost for a car in a similar class would be $7,235 USD.

"While a car in a similar class emits around 10 tons of CO2 in the course of six years, Nissan LEAF produces zero emissions while driving," said Mr. Katagiri. "Nissan LEAF is an attractive, affordable EV that will introduce a new way of mobility for our customers."

Nissan aims to sell 6,000 units in Japan in fiscal year 2010.

The company will offer a variety of services to customers who purchase Nissan LEAF:
    • Charging equipment arranged by Nissan dealers - Since EV owners will need charging facilities at their homes or workplaces, Nissan dealers will assist customers in the installation of charging facilities for private homes.

• Charging facilities installed at Nissan dealers nationwide - Before the release of Nissan LEAF in December, 200-volt regular chargers will be installed at all Nissan dealers nationwide, a total of 2,200 locations. In addition, about 200 dealers will have quick-charging facilities. A quick charger provides 80% of battery capacity in less than 30 minutes. For the convenience of Nissan LEAF drivers, at least one quick-charge unit will be available within a 40-kilometer radius throughout the country.

Today, Nissan also announced that it is developing a new quick charger that is almost half the current market price of quick chargers available today. This newly developed quick charger, which will be installed at 200 Nissan dealers nationwide by December, is the first to be put into practical use by an automaker. The unit will be available commercially in the future.

• After-sales service provided by Nissan dealers nationwide - As with conventional vehicles, after-sales service for Nissan LEAF will be provided at all Nissan dealers throughout Japan. Each dealer's service shop will have technical staff specially trained to handle EV maintenance.
    Company to begin Nissan LEAF nationwide test-drive tour

This summer, Nissan will begin the Nissan LEAF nationwide test drive tour in Japan. In addition to test drives, exhibitions and workshops for the general public will be conducted to improve understanding and facilitate the widespread adoption of EVs.

The Renault-Nissan Alliance aims to be a global leader in zero-emission mobility. To date, the Alliance has signed zero-emission partnerships with more than 50 governments, municipalities and companies worldwide. Nissan will introduce Nissan LEAF in Japan, the United States and Europe in 2010, followed by global mass marketing in 2012.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2010
  2. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

Re: Nissan attaches hefty $40,600 price tag to electric Leaf

Well that puts it out of my price range.

3. robj80

robj80 traded HP for MPG's

Mine as well but I wouldn't directly translate the price of this vehicle in japan to the price in the USA. I just looked up MSRP on the nissan of japan website and it puts the top of the line 370gt coupe at $54k when we all know there is no infiniti g37 coupe that has an MSRP that high. I also compared the msrp of the tiida at $21k to our Versa which has around $17k. So if the leaf pricing hold true I would guesstimate it being about $5k less then what what it is in japan.

Then again this is just speculation like everyone else. I hope nissan announces US pricing on the 1st and not the 30th of April.

4. RedPriusII

RedPriusII Active Member

24 kWh battery is an expensive part.

Without ubiquitous quick-charge infrastructure, highway-capable BEVs are a niche product for enthusiasts (like me). Mass market won't accept range limit, so no reason to price as a minimalist commodity vehicle, like the Versa.

Wouldn't be surprised if US drive away price (net of incentives) is at entry-level luxury point, e.g., Infiniti.

I hear golf can be an expensive hobby, too.

5. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

No way it'd fit in my budget either. However, I will say I'd rather send $40k towards a full-electric car than the Volt.

6. robj80

robj80 traded HP for MPG's

pricing was announced. It's $32,780 before tax credits.

7. 98CRV

98CRV Well-Known Member

USA Today shows a different pricing scheme:

8. RedPriusII

RedPriusII Active Member

9. Right Lane Cruiser

This is fantastic news! Right where I was hoping to see it show up and great pressure on Ford to price competitively. :D

Bring on the EVs!!! I'm ready!:Banane43::bananajump:

:driveby1:

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

I wish I were in a position to join in the tax credited fun but sadly I'm in the wrong place and at the wrong time of the purchase cycle. :(

But, I'm glad it's cheap enough to sell and will make your Focus BEV cheaper. :)

11. Right Lane Cruiser

We'll find out... I can't get anything until 2012.

12. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

$2200 for a charging station!!!! WTH is that??
    I don't care what Nissan claims if these cars require a $2200 charging station they won't sell many of them.

I assumed that charging would be a 115v or 220 extension cord.
    What do you do if you "run out of charge"-can you charge it with a 115v plug from someones house??

I must have missed something.I assumed you could charge them from and 110 or 220 circuit with a plain heavy duty extension cord.Surely there is a way to do that-maybe at a slower rate??

Charlie
    PS Lets see-buy a 50 mpg Prius for $25000(or less maybe with the incentives)-fill it up anywhere-unlimited range- or pay more for a Leaf which requires a charging station(maybe just to quickly charge it?).Wow, tough choice.

13. Right Lane Cruiser

I believe there is an "opportunity charge" cable included so you can charge from a regular receptacle as well.

14. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Here in B.C Canada on the news at noon they stated $40,000.00 Hal

15. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Right Lane Cruiser
    Thanks for the info. The Leaf can be charged from and 110 then? So why the home based charging station? Does the home charger allow much faster charging? Most 110 have maybe a 20 amp capacity making it able to squirt in roughly 2000WattHrs per hour or energy?? The battery pack is 24,000 watt hrs - 12 hour charging from a plain Jane 110 outlet?

Is that about it; you need the fancy home station to ram energy as fast as possible-maybe using a 220 outlet cramming in 4000-5000 watt hrs per hour? Maybe the home station has some fancy monitoring system to prevent shoving the energy in so fast it overheats or damages the battery?

I didn't mean to be so sour grapes.I was just surprised it needed a special high cost home charger.Will the Volt need the same setup?

Charlie

16. Right Lane Cruiser

My understanding is that the home station is for more intelligent filling at 220V… and the Volt will "need" the same thing. It also will be able to "opportunity" charge. Both will just take longer on the standard outlet.

17. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___Hans anyone verified if the charging station is mandatory or not yet? No way are people going to want to “waste” $2,200 for a 220V plug that can only half the charging time needed of a std. 110V plug.

___Last time I checked, most cars sit in the place they are parked for over 8-hours at work and over 12 at home… Unless you drove to its absolute range limit every day, a fast charger is going to be a very expensive waste imho.

___Good Luck

___Wayne