Electric truck conversion

Discussion in 'General' started by rhwinger, Dec 13, 2006.

1. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

2. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

wow good read! man i should visit their shop and check out some conversions! Thanks!

3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Bob:

___I wish – I wish – I wish these conversions were completed using a consumer purchasable NiMH or Li-Ion based cel(s) w/ the appropriate cel and pack level DoD and C rate protections. A std. or even high quality Pb-Acid will not last and are far to heavy for a long term EV conversion imho :(

___I was looking at the OEM Ford Ranger EV’s and they too had this huge problem of weight whereas the Rav4EV w/ its NiMH based pack is a lightweight by comparison. Still heavy by comparison to a regular RAV4 of its day but nothing near a Pb-Acid based street legal EV of any kind.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

4. bear15

bear15 Well-Known Member

Wayne,

I may have missed it, but are you in the process or considering an EV conversion? If yes, please tell us more.

Cheers:flag:

5. xcel

Hi Ed:

___I have been seriously thinking about gutting the Ranger and converting it to an EV but not until I can get my hands on some distance capable Li-Ion’s and the package to control it all. I have no idea how to create an all-in-one board to cel balance, current limit, control the % DoD and Thermal Runaway protect a stick, string, and pack like I would need although the price for the 18650’s with TAB’s is becoming more attractive all the time. Something akin to a massively parallel pack w/ 6,800 off-the-shelf 18,650’s that the T-Zero used is what I am interested in …

___I am thinking I could easily achieve a minimum 100 mile + range with ~ 2,000 18,650’s held to ~ 65% DoD at a cost of around $9,500. The motor, Inverter/converter, and the tightly controlled BCM and Charger is where the Tesla and T-Zero guys make someone like me look like the amateur that I am. Anyway, this is a start …

2,200 mAh Li-Ion at 3.7V for $4.74 in quantity.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

6. bear15

bear15 Well-Known Member

We watched "Who Killed the EV" last night which we rented at Hollywood Video-- interesting story. Please keep us updated and we may be interested in following your and/or other leads on converting a car over. For work, I really need about a min. of a 100 - 120 mile range.

Please keep us up to date on your adventures. :flag:

7. bear15

bear15 Well-Known Member

8. xcel

Hi Ed:

___Just visited that link again and thanks. I have quite a few links from other EV based sites dealing with EV gear and almost all keep dumping money down the Pb-Acid rat hole which limits everything other then safety and weight :( My Favorite conversion was the EVermont w/ an Azure Electronics and Drive package and its ZEBRA - NiNaCl based batteries installed in a gutted Toyota Echo. The total cost is prohibitive right now but that will soon drop back down. It is the electronics to keep basic Li-Ion’s from Thermal Runaway that is far beyond my capabilities. One of these companies is going to take-off with an all-in-one package just like Sanyo sells the NiMH’s to Ford for the FEH and all that will be needed is a master controller for power output/regen control as well as the electronic propulsion system w/ its associated BUSSES.

[​IMG]

___If you are really interested, read the individual quarterly reports for the EVermont BEV as shown and especially its performance data in the June 06 pdf.

Battery Electric Station Cars (2004)

___Good Luck

___Wayne