Nissan says it has 56,000 Leaf preorders in U.S. alone

Discussion in 'Nissan' started by seftonm, Mar 5, 2010.

1. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

[​IMG] The Leaf should enter large-scale mass production by 2012. Nissan has planned capacity of 500,000 annual units of its Leaf between the U.S. market, Europe and Japan.

[FIMG=LEFT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2011_Nissan_LEAF1.jpg[/FIMG]Mark Kleis - LEFTLANENEWS - March 4, 2010

Will this be Nissan's Prius? --Ed.

While speaking at the Geneva Auto Show, a confident Carlos Ghosn, Nissan-Renault alliance head, spoke of the coming year and his planned dominance of the EV market. Ghosn pointed to competitors speaking of concept cars, while he has a tangible product that he believes will have no competition in the market.

As it stands now, Nissan is essentially a non-player in the hybrid and eco-conscious markets, having only one borrowed hybrid drivetrain from the Toyota Camry hybrid for its Altima sedan. But Carlos Ghosn has a tangible plan and product planned to help change the face of Nissan across the global markets – especially in the U.S. where having eco-alternatives is essentially a requirement for success.

“What I am sure is that in 2011, I am going to be the only one on the market,” Ghosn said, regarding a pure EV with mass production capability.

“Frankly, I mean so far there is no competition,” Ghosn told a group of reporters at the Geneva Auto Show Wednesday. “Let’s be serious. It’s not because someone is coming with a prototype and one car that this is competition. The question is how much capacity are you building.”

Ghosn said Nissan will become the only major player to be responding to demand on any scale, with Mitsubishi’s figures being much smaller. Ghosn also cited that only 3,000 or so of the 200,000 million cars currently on the road in the U.S. are electric vehicles, and he believes that will change to 10 percent, globally, in 10 years.... [RM]http://www.leftlanenews.com/nissan-says-it-has-56000-leaf-preorders-in-u-s-alone.html[/RM]

2. SentraSE-R

SentraSE-R Pishtaco

I'm impressed that 56,000 people are at least semi-committed to buying a new car whose selling price and driving characteristics are still a mystery.

3. moneysaver

moneysaver Well-Known Member

This car will have limited success. It's an electric car without an onboard generator to charge the battries when the juice runs out. So the user appeal will be limited to cities and dense metropolitian areas where stop and go traffic is majority. But its a good first step toward the progress. :)

4. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

I don't know if this will be a Prius level of success, but I do predict it to be a success. Most of the naysayers focus on the Leaf's inability to do EVERYTHING a consumer needs in a car. Forgetting that most families have 2 or 3 cars, and could get away with ONE of those vehicles incapable of leaving town -- but only using $15-20/month of energy.

But I wonder where they're getting the 56,000 figure. I've signed up for the Leaf mailing list, but I definitely haven't preordered -- AND HAVEN'T YET BEEN ASKED TO. Nissan isn't even taking preorders yet! Must be the number of people on the mailing list.

Well, since 80% of Americans live in metropolitan areas, there's probably a big potential market. I don't see what stop and go traffic has to do with it. Just has to be daily driving of <100 miles.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  5. I think the car has a shot. If I didn't have relatives that live four hours away, I could drive a Leaf just fine. I live in Baltimore and my commute is about three miles each way.

6. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

It's a tangent, but today I had to explain the Volt is not an EV limited to 40 miles, but has a gas generator that kicks in at that point.

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

I signed up but with the option saying "I'm just interested, I'm not buying". So maybe they're taking the number of people who showed an interested in buying.

8. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Yep, the 56000 is just registrations on their site, not preorders. From their site:

Steps to acquiring a Nissan LEAF are:

* REGISTER: Interested people can register for more information about the Nissan LEAF on www.NissanUSA.com. To date, close to 50,000 people have registered on the website. Registrants will be given first priority to reserve a Nissan LEAF.
    * RESERVE: The reservation process will begin in April, shortly after the announcement of the price of the Nissan LEAF. Upon paying a fully refundable $100 reservation fee, registrants will be among the first in line able to order a Nissan LEAF.
    * ORDER: Nissan will begin taking firm orders in August, for deliveries when sales begin in the driver's particular market.
    * EARLY DELIVERIES: Rollout begins in select markets in December 2010, with vehicles available in all major launch markets quickly thereafter.

9. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

It seems that Mr. Ghosn has an interesting definition of "preorder"

10. corollasport09

corollasport09 Well-Known Member

I would probably buy this car in future, I think it has a great potential

11. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Right. In fact, the perfect owner will be in a two car household and have a 60-70 mile round trip commute: long enough to make regular full use of the battery, but not long enough to suffer from range anxiety.

The perfect owner would also be ready to buy now, but I think there will be enough of them to be going on with.

However, I was also thinking about the urban EV users. I found something about yellow cab taxis: the average number of miles driven per 12 hour shift is 180.
    Using 200 days at (80AER@$0.21/kWh*16kWh/90%) v (50mpg@$2.799) it'd only save $335.28/year over a Prius taxi. Maybe other cities have similar mileage but cheaper electricity and could do some more electrification.

12. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Wow, 21c/kWh? You're right, at today's gas prices that's barely any cheaper than a Prius. 100 miles (the Leaf's stated range) would cost you about $5 in fuel -- only 50c less than a Prius at the rated 50mpg. Of course that is at TODAY's gas prices, which may soon be a memory.

You make a really good point: demand for the Leaf is going to vary a LOT depending on local electricity prices. At the 8.7c/kWh that my utility charges, the same 100 miles costs just $2 in energy. Even versus a Prius, the Leaf is a slam dunk for people who can live with the range limitations.

13. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

I'm unlikely to be on the preorder list, but the only reason for that is the fact that I have to wait at least another year after introduction before buying.

I sure hope it lives up to the expectations and is available up here in frigid MN!

14. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

That is a good start.

15. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

I'll follow your 2012 Leaf blog closely. ;)

16. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___There is a huge difference between interested and placing real money on one for a down payment. While I applaud Nissan for moving us forward, we do not yet know the price of the LEAF let alone is based off the slow selling Nissan Versa. In another year, we’ll see how its uptake progresses but being first on the market does not necessarily mean sales success.

___Let us hope the price is right and at least 25,000 are actually placed in customers hands over the next 12-months. Can you imagine the drop in consumption from just 25,000 BEVs let alone 1.5 Million + per year by 2020.

___Good Luck

___Wayne