Scott with 1993 Toyota Camry LE V6

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by LinuxGold, Mar 5, 2010.

1. LinuxGold

LinuxGold Hypermile to the finest

Hi All, I'm from Elkton, MD. I own 1993 Toyota Camry LE V6, EPA 22, currently learning to hypermile, so far extended up to 26.5 MPG.

My car is non OBD-II compliant car, looking for MPG meter for my car, is there any meter that works with non OBD-II cars like mine?

Thanks.

2. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Welcome to the site, Scott!

Yes, there are a couple of options you can look into -- one is the MPGuino and the other is the SuperMID (made by our very own user Yoshi). Both require some wiring (sorry, no easy plug-in option with these) but they work very well and are actually a bit more accurate than the SG can be when tracking fuel usage.

3. LinuxGold

Thanks for the advice, fortunately, I'm into Electronics, and I am willing to build anything! I will check into these things.

Have anyone tried to hypermile in Camry 1993 V6 car before? I need to know how much MPG it is capable of doing, that way I can set up a goal to achieve that MPG level.

4. LinuxGold

Finally hit 28!!! Woo woo woo!!

Have not had a chance to get SuperMID yet.

5. Right Lane Cruiser

Congratulations! That's an excellent milestone... particularly in winter temperatures. :flag:

6. LinuxGold

Thanks!

Question:

The Speed limit on highway is 65 mph, I want to go 45-50 (Glide or coast or whatever), will that be ok? Should I use hazard lights on for that low speed?

7. Right Lane Cruiser

45mph is a bit slow, but if there are gaps in the traffic you can glide to that low in spaces. Just time your accelerations to have you up to a reasonable speed by the time the next pack catches up.

Otherwise, I often DWL right around 50-52mph in my Insight on highways with that PSL. Time of day and weather conditions can have a heavy impact on whether or not that is safe. Be sure to ridge ride regardless so that you stand out as someone doing something different. Use the hazards if you see someone closing way too fast just to make sure they notice you and consider a long distance flash or two for OTR truckers (semi drivers) to give them plenty of notice and chance to switch lanes so they can pass you.

8. LinuxGold

Thanks for your advice, I will use that route. When I checked DWL from your reply, it says "Driving with load" what does that mean?

9. Right Lane Cruiser

A good approximation is to simply hold your foot steady on the gas pedal as you go up and down hills. You'll slow down going uphill, but speed back up on the backside of the hill.

The goal is to keep your power output tailored to the terrain. The most efficient way over a hill is to crest it with the engine off and car barely moving. This is rarely practical (and shouldn't be done in your Camry anyway if it has an automatic transmission), but you get the idea. Imagine riding your bike. You'll want to get a "running start" at hills, and your speed will sag as you go up... then you can ease up and let gravity help you on the other side. When driving you'll want to let your speed sag on the hill down to some predetermined safe speed, then gain speed back on the other side. If you have an automatic transmission you'll want to manage your speeds so that you stay in torque lockup (which is more efficient than the other modes the transmission can be in). In a manual transmission you have a bit more flexibility but you'll still want to get up the hill as efficiently as you can.

Contrast this with cruiser control which only wants to maintain some set speed and you'll notice it uses a lot more fuel than it has to in order to get you from one point to another when hills are involved.

10. LinuxGold

Thanks.

Sorry, I'm such an inquestive newbie.

Now, it would be nice if 1993 Toyota Camry is listed in mileage log so I can show my MPG in my signature and to see how I am ranked. =)

So far I started logging in fueleconomy.gov since 2/27/2010, and my average to this point is 25.9 MPG. The combined EPA for my 1993 Toyota Camry is 16/22 (combined EPA is 19) so, for a month, I've been doing 136% of combined EPA, is that correct?

Now, if I constantly do 28 MPG for the reminder of the year, bringing up average to say, approximately 27.5 MPG, then it would be 145% of combined EPA, is that correct?

11. Right Lane Cruiser

No -- don't apologize! Questions are good and we love helping anyone on a quest for lowering fuel consumption. :)

Click on the link at the bottom of my signature block for lots of good info (including adding a mileage banner to your own signature). Just add your vehicle to the logs and enter the year with city and hwy numbers manually and you'll be good to go.

Your math is correct, by the way. :thumbs_up:

12. LinuxGold

Testing my signature...

13. LinuxGold

Found this link, very comparable to my car -- my new GOAL: 35 MPG

Seems impossible... hmm...

What is the next thing you recommend that I practice next? One thing at a time. =)

14. Right Lane Cruiser

That was quick! :)

What are your tires at for pressure right now? We generally recommend the max sidewall pressure as it is safe for the tire and lowers your rolling resistance by reducing flex in the tire sidewall.

Past that, work on timing any lights you might have to go through on your routes (meaning, adjust your speed well in advance so that you arrive at the light when it is green), plan your routes so that if you have multiple stops you go to the one that is furthest out first (so the car gets as warmed up as it can). If you have an engine block heater, use it!! Practice DWL -- that's a big one for automatic transmission vehicles.

Beyond that, be patient until you get some sort of gauge installed. It is difficult to improve when you can only see the results after a full tank of driving.

15. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Sean's nailed it. Keep it rolling - never stop if you can possibly avoid it. DWL when you are rolling.

I regularly see 30+ mpg highway trips in the Odyssey V6 by using DWL in the 55-60 mph range. It locks into top gear at 45, but hills... It's worthwhile to have a buffer so you can lose some speed on the uphill climbs.

16. LinuxGold

Yepper, I'm dedicated to getting the money BACK into my pocket where it belongs!

36 PSI pushing at 36 PSI maximum. I use Gas Saver valve caps at 36 PSI, it shows green when it reaches 36 PSI. All 4 Tires Green (A4TG) which I will use on my gas logger, for every gas station visit I make, I make sure all 4 are Green "A4TG".

That would be a challenge since I commute to work through hills. That is better than rear to rear traffic through 35 mph zone with 12 traffic lights.

I live close to Chespeake Bay (Elkton, MD) which doesn't leave me many alternative routes, I only have 2 routes to choose from (both bridge). The reason why I selected hills is because there are only 3 traffic stops and ABSOLUTELY no traffic at all on both ways to and from work (country road). I work in Middletown, DE.

Here is my route (customized to meet my hypermiling requirements) with around 6 hills and HIGH angle bridge on rt 213 and 2 mini hills in Bohemias Mills area.

Thanks, I will check MPGuino out.

What year is the Odyssey? I would like to look it up on fueleconomy.gov

About buffer, do you mean a room behind me? Make sure there is no car behind me? I usually annoy the driver behind me by slowing down by 5 mph on that HIGH angle bridge. =P

Need to work on my manners....

17. LinuxGold

Ok, here is the status of my car:

-Left front tire is misaligned, will need to align that.
    -Engine is in excellent condition, oil changed every 3,000 miles.
    -Air filter will need to be replaced.
    -Cruise Control is performing excellent, held RPM faithfully while going up and down that high angle bridge, kept on close to 2,000 RPM @ 50 mph without down shifting to keep up! Normally if you go approximately 35-45, it WILL down shift.

I spoke with my Facility Manager, he suggested replacing oil, gears grease with latest synthetic technologies that will run as water in cold temperatures. Is there such a thing like that, something that I should consider?

Anything else?

18. PaleMelanesian

2004. old epa 18/25, new epa 16/23. 3.5 V6 with a 5-speed auto.

I mean a speed buffer. If you start a long uphill at 50 mph, you may not be able to keep it above the 45 threshold before reaching the top. If you drop too low, the transmission will downshift, the rpm will shoot up, and your gas goes out the window in a hurry. If you start at 55, you're more likely to make it while still staying locked in top gear.

Oil - look up in your manual. I doubt you need to change it that often. Many here (myself included) like to use Mobil 1, but any high-quality synthetic is good. Pay attention to the weight and get the lowest your manual allows.

19. LinuxGold

Aha, thanks. Now I'm even more motivated!!

Gotcha. I will go up to 60 then let it droop down to 45 since that bridge is a killer.

I'm thinking about the difference between DWL or CC holding at 2k rpm @ 55mph. How big is the difference?

Thanks for the advice. I've been on eternal search for the manual. Toyota.com doesn't have it in pdf format either. I don't trust eBay since I'm IT with security in mind. I'm still looking for it.

I have Haynes repair book for my car, I'll check it out.

20. PaleMelanesian

I don't like to use cc on hills. It's far too likely to downshift and/or use too much gas. It has a tendency to overreact, when you could finesse things yourself. On a flat highway it's fine, though.

Does the oil filler cap have a number on it? Mine says 5w30 right there on the cap.