2011 Ford Super Duty Press Launch

Discussion in '4x4's, SUV's and P/U Trucks' started by xcel, Mar 4, 2010.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___Just got into Prescott from a hellish travel day… Not much yet and of course impressions are embargoed but the general discussion is good to go ;)

___This was taped to the control desk at the Prescott Airport!

[​IMG]

___We drove 25 - 2010 Super Duty’s back to the hotel for comparison to the 2011’s we will be driving as nearly as noisy the 06 6.0 L Super Duty I have driven in the past. Still a lot of roll in the corners and Wind noise. No biggie but will try and post more later this evening as I have not had anything but crackers and drinks all-day long.

2010’s heading out
    [​IMG]

___Good Luck

___Wayne

2. xcel

Hi All:

___I addition, supposedly one of the Wave 1 guys pulled almost 30 mpg in a 2011 fuel Economy Challenge yesterday!

___Good Luck

___Wayne

3. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

I guess you've got your target now, huh? ;)

I glad you arrived safely.

4. xcel

Hi Sean:

___I do not think I can top 29 in this monster!

___About the Super Duty, I cannot find anything wrong with it for its intended purpose! Safety, check, FE check. Emissions equivalent to a Honda Fit, check. Comfortable, Check. Convenience and amenities check. I even tweeted from it a few hours ago!

___Wait until the embargo is lifted. Holy smokes ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

5. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Wayne the hypermiling long-haul trucker...

6. xcel

Hi Ksstathead:

___:D :D :D

___Ford Handicapped the truck with 1,000 pounds of concrete in the bed and it still kicked @$$ over 81-miles. 16.0 miles of this trip was off-road!!!!

[​IMG]

___You are not going to believe what this truck can do when towing 25,000 pounds let alone what it does to GM’s and Dodge’s Best… World Class cannot describe the 2011 Super Duty w/ the 6.7L Power Stroke!

___I cannot wait to get home and write this one up!

___Good Luck

___Wayne

7. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

I thought you said you couldn't reach 30mpg, Mr. Impossible-Mileage-Man? ;)

8. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

If they can design it so the emissions cannot be modded, this could be revolutionary. Honda Fit mileage off-road in a serious work truck.

Wonder if that 34 is verified with a fill up? Maybe they incorporated the Prius3 FE logic.

9. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

What's the M for?
    P R N D M 2 1

10. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

I was guessing manual shift mode at least between lugging and red line.

11. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

That sounds about right. If you look carefully, you can see indicators for 1-6 above the gear selection, probably to indicate which gear is chosen when in manual mode.

12. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Yes, (M) is Manual mode - used with TapShift or other gear selection strategy. The 2 and 1 are probably intended for serious engine braking or low speed and high load operation. First gear on a 6AT is usually more than 4:1 ratio, so in diesel applications, it gets you to 10 or 15mph tops. With that ratio, engine braking would be very effective, too. The (2) on a 6AT is usually a little lower than first gear on a 4AT, so the (2) would behave like (1) on an older transmission.

13. npauli

npauli Well-Known Member

Most FE way to engine brake is to use a gear that spins the engine just fast enough to stop burning fuel (~ 1000 rpm on mine, might be a little higher on this one). If you NEED more braking than this, you can spin the engine faster, but this truck also has a VGT that functions as an exhaust brake.

14. xcel

Hi All:

___Sorry I have not been posting much as I spent all day at the Glendale dealership having the Tonneau cover installed. It was so late in the afternoon that Ford decided to put me up in Glendale for the night.

___Kssatathead, the emissions cannot be modded by anyone that Ford knows of and there is only one highly protected tool in the country that can get into the deeper brains to manipulate the chip(s). I asked that question during the Doug Scott Q&A and received a very vague answer last week. This was explained and confirmed by the lead engineer two days ago over a personal Q&A so it is a very good sign.

___Andrew, yes, there is a manual mode and you can shift just like a manual with a + - toggle on the end of the right shift stalk. Third gear starts work too ;)

___This engine is so strong that the TC will stay locked up all the way down to 900 RPM and Fuel cut will only disappear when you approach the 900 R level from what I was seeing. In addition, the 2011 Super will not buck or lug down to 900 RPM. It simply does not lug! I was towing a 10,000 pound load up a 4 to 6 percent grade at the 35 mph PSL in switchbacks and she was holding 1,200 RPM’s without a care in the world. The Silverado HD was having trouble and shifting around between 1,800 and 2,200. Same with the Dodge and its Cummins. The Dodge Cummins felt really crude, loud and handled very poorly when towing. The GM Duramax was simply struggling. When coming down the same grades, the Chevrolet was a handful. The Dodge was scary. The Ford was tap on the brakes and she would drop a gear and hold speed. No switches, no buttons and simply forget about what you were hauling and pay attention to the road ahead. Very impressive. And it idles at just 600 rpm too.

___I looked at the loads to verify there was no screwing around with distribution or weight and there was not. The 25,000 pound trailer drive up and down was similar although you could tell even the 6.7L Power Stroke was working hard with R’s up at 2.2 to 3K range while traveling at 20 mph over the PSL (55 mph). They would not allow us to drive with that laod, only the Ford CDL driver and me alone in the passenger seat. The GM and Dodge products lt alone the F250/350 were not rated for anything near that weight so they were not included in that maximum tow comparison.

___About the displays… I have the cheap dot matrix one and there is another that is not only beautiful but comes on most of the other trucks. It is called the 4.2 Information Screen and is really cool. The aFCD is a readout with a bar coming off it and crossing into the iFCD bar graph. Very colorful and unique. I asked if the display engineers spoke with Gil and Company of the Hybrid group and found out that yes, she did :D Again, one of the best and simplest yet beautiful green/blue/black i and aFCD displays I have ever seen in my life!

___About accuracy, we will find out on our way home but from my discussion, injection timing is being used for i/aFCD numbers and Ford is not screwing around. They encouraged me to see for myself on the drive back which is exactly what we always do.

___Another metric that came from the dealer group that took the trucks out all day yesterday. At an average speed of 85 mph, the truck with a 3.73 rear end averaged 16.9 mpg. Not impressive for total FE but impressive for someone doing something stupid in this 390 HP monster.

___Finally, in an all-out FE run across the US, 30 mpg is possible and with the large trucks 42 gallon tank (I only have a 28 gallon one), 1250 miles should be easy.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  15. hobbit

hobbit He who posts articles

Those "manumatic" settings are one of the things that certain
    safety advocates are waving their arms about, saying they confuse
    drivers so they can't find N when they need it most. Hmmph.
    To me, of course, it's just another instance of people not
    understanding their vehicles, but there's a lot of that going
    around these days...
    _H*

16. xcel

Wayne's "Excellent Adventure" continues...

Hi All:

___Finally got out of Gilbert, AZ about 02:00 yesterday afternoon... 17 gallons of B99 in 4 containers are on the floor in the back seat and she was topped off.

___The Garmin/Windows CE was causing me a ton of trouble so Ford’s Work Solutions MGR. called and told me how to reboot it on the fly. Hold Power Button in for 10 + seconds after you have powered down the screen or key off for a few minutes. I was Keyed off for a few minutes but left the screens up and running for data details ;)

___Comfortable seats!!! Soft top cushions to harder foam. Two sunglass holders and enough cup holder to hold all of my Pepsi’s :) The only issue is its has a very dead on-center steering wheel feel with about 3 degrees to either side not causing any output to the wheels. Trucks are like that but I think Ford’s next change will be to that.

___Reliability? Of all the 10’s of Prototypes in Haliburton, FPL, Duke Energy and two Texas Asphalt Contractors (ones a rancher as well), the only issue was a radiator thermostat came apart. Over 10,000,000 miles of testing and over 250,000 of that these Prototypes in the hands of guys that don’t really care if the truck breaks because its not the truck, a minor radiator thermostat was not to bad a showing!

___Climbing a monster like this with that 900 RPM TC Lockup is kind of easy actually but it took half the night to figure it out. 4th comes in around 22 mph, 5th around 31 mph and 6th at ~ 41 mph. Once you are in 5 or 6, do not let it go. Keep applying the coals and she will stay locked up until at least 39 mph before the inevitable downshift.

___Lost 30 mpg after 2,000' above sea level and was sitting at just 26.7 once I hit the 7,000' sign near Flagstaff. It was not snowing or hailing as I climbed into Flagstaff, there was a T-Storm and the "snowballs" were falling from the sky! I have never seen that before???

___I visited Meteor Crater but it was closed and completely fenced off with barb wire :( Pulled out onto an open plateau about 2-miles away and took a ton of pics at dusk with two fronts (one to the east and one to the west). Absolutely beautiful and I hope the pics turn out ok???

___Anyway, I was almost back to 30.0 (29.9 for a while about 25 miles to the West of Albuquerque) when I saw a note pop up on the message center. "Exhaust filter cleaning" or something like that... This is going to hurt. I had just battled 200 to 250 miles of strong 10 to 20 mph side winds from Meteor Crater at dusk to this point running the absolute PSL minimums for probably 1/4th of the drive against those side winds and was only at ~ 5,800' when the message occurred. The FCD over 16-minutes dropped from 29.9 to 29.1 mpg with a 200' drop in altitude before I had to FAS the rest of the 800' drop from the West side of Albuquerque. I think she finished but I just couldn't wait any more as the East side of Albuquerque has a 2000' climb to over 7,100' again! Anyway, by the time I was on the East side, the FCD was showing 28.9 and I had a lot to make up but with almost 500-miles on it now, making up was going to be tough. Advanced techniques became the norm after that one.

___I pulled into Santa Rosa, NM about 04:00 AM local (MST I think?) this morning and got about 4-hours of much need rest. Time to hit the road again and do the battle of the aFCD. I sure wish this had the 4.2" LCD with the pretty screen and graphics (including the iFCD!!!) to see how bad that DPF regen was but I have the miles and FE via the aFCD to back calculate. About 12-miles over 16-minutes and 29.9 to 29.1 for anyone that wants to do the rough estimate.

___She has about a eight of a tank with the message center saying something like 160 miles to E and that was about 60-miles ago. I was too tired to look at all the screens other than my constant companion, the cheapie dot-matrix aFCD when I arrived in Santa Rosa this morning ;)

___Nathan, can I stop by so we can take that oil sample on Tuesday evening? I drove over 75-miles out of the way to get the B99 and would hate to miss this opportunity. Call me on my Cel at (847) 772-3406 (or anyone else that wants to say hi ;)) and will talk via BlueTooth.

___Hope to be near the OK/MO border tonight and will try and catch up again.

___Wayne's Excellent adventure with the 2011 Ford Super Duty continues...

___Good Luck

___Wayne

17. npauli

npauli Well-Known Member

Wow.
    My truck is comparable in many ways, and my best tank ever is 26!!. Only broke 30 a couple times on short trips across town. And mine's 3 steps behind in emissions levels.

Now the questions is: how much if the improvement is in engine, xmsn, gearing, aero, DRIVER, etc...

At any rate, I'm just tickled pink that MPG is now being respected as much as HP, torque, payload, towing, 0-60 time, etc. Even the diesel junkies at powerstroke.org have a 43-reply post speculating and comparing rumors about the FE of the new 6.7

It's a good sign ;)

18. EVK

EVK New Member

Saw my first 2011 Super Duty today at the Plant City Strawberry Festival in Florida. It was an F-450, Lariat, 8' bed with sprayed in liner, and a 5th wheel connection. The new Diesel was somewhere under the hood but darn near needed a stepladder to see in! Sunroof looked nice, too. Very comfortable but surprisingly less leg room on passenger side than expected. Door sticker said built in 8/2009. Must have been early off the line. The reported MPG is encouraging!

19. xcel

Hi All:

___First fill is complete and it looks like we have a Prius like issue :( Came in with 0 MTE (Why not right ;)) but was a bit on edge as you should not run a diesel out.

___The numbers... 21.269 gallons of diesel and 5.5 gallons of B99 for 26.769 gallons. 715.2 miles = 26.769 mpg vs. the aFCD at 30.1 mpg. We'll see on the next tank if maybe I had the truck slightly topped off or something as after I snapped the pics, the fuel disapperred. Right now its still in the funnel.

___That was a lot of work for just 26.7174 mpg if its real but I will take it. I will have another 700 + mile tank tomorrow to report and we shall see...

___Nathan, I got your PM. Go ahead and link this thread to the diesel guys if you want ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  20. xcel

Hi All:

___And of course all of this was posted with the Onboard Work Solutions Computer and BlueTooth Keyboard from a Shell in Adrrian, Texas ;) Now time to tweet the link...

___Good Luck

___Wayne