Increased MPG

Discussion in 'Mercedes-Benz' started by gabe1475, Feb 16, 2010.

1. gabe1475

gabe1475 Well-Known Member

Took the smart for its first long distance trip - 400 miles to/from Tucson. My first commute to work produced great mileage on the way in today (58MPG), about 10% increase over most days. Did not do anything different as far a hypermiling. Could this be the result of the long trip? At this rate may hit my first 500 mile tank, currently at 56.7MPG with about 9gal tank.

2. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Nice work! I don't know why it might be higher mileage today... Was there a wind?

Did you get home from the long trip late last night? You could be seeing the effects of a warmer engine start temperature if so.

3. gabe1475

Got home Saturday night and first day at work was today. Only change I can think of is slightly higher temps 76 high today 48 on the way in. I also got premium fuel in Tuscon, but that usually does not have this sort of an impact. Now that I think about it I also put an extra 3psi in the tires right before the trip, so this is first commute with psi back to max sidewall.

64MPG on the way home today. Hope the scangague is not over calculating.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  4. gabe1475

Did not make 500 on this tank. Filled up with 457 on the odometer and .6 Gal in the tank. Don't think I would have made another 43 miles on that so did not push it.

5. SentraSE-R

SentraSE-R Pishtaco

Good job! You were wise not to push it. It's no fun running a fuel injected car out of fuel. You should get your 500 mile tank this Summer.

6. drimportracing

drimportracing Pizza driver: 61,000+ deliveries

You would have went 489.64 miles if you held your 54.404+ average on your 9 gallon tank.

My Metro has a 9.5 gallon tank but I have stuffed 10.392 gallons into it. If I'm going for the record 500 mile tank with a 50+mpg average, I carry an extra gallon with me in case I run out. So far it's still an unaccomplished goal.

I'll celebrate your success for now. :woot: Way to go! That's some impressive numbers. 55.555+ mpg is your 500 tank. May all your drives be downhill! :D - Dale

7. gabe1475

Not sure about the summer, as we warm up quite a bit. Driving around in 100+ without AC just does not work well. I tried it last year at 90 degrees to get a good tank when I first got the car and had a migraine by the time I got home. The little car gets pretty warm when the sun is out and temps are over 80.

8. Right Lane Cruiser

Gabe, that sort of driving isn't for everyone but I've found I can survive in those temps with the HVAC set to fresh air and the vents pointed at my face. I don't know how long you spend in the car but I'm driving for about an hour each way on my commute.

9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

AC isn't an option in Phoenix- I'm driven in Phoenix,Tuscon,Las Vegas- HELL ON EARTH isn't to strong for their summer climates.Air tempts are 110+ and heat is radiating off the highway, the buildings, and of course from the sun.

Whoever said "Its not the heat, its the humidity" never drove thru Phoenix in the summer. 110 in Phoenix with 10% humidity is MUCH MUCH WORSE then 95 and 70% humidity-typical New Orleans weather. It is very difficult to keep up with your fluid losses in that sort of climate.

Great mpg
    Charlie

10. gabe1475

Depends if you have shade. If not, 110 is brutal, but if you have shade, 110 is much better than 90 degrees with 100% humidity. Which is why I have an issue in the afternoon as I am going west just as the sun is setting.

Sean - I am also in the car for an hour, but if I tried that without AC, I may never make it. I should mention mornings would be ok, but not on days where we start out in the 90's. I work in an office and have to wear long sleve shirts and dress pants.

11. Mr. Pancake

Mr. Pancake Well-Known Member

I have to wear thick pants and work boots for my job, so in the summer I bring a pair of shorts and flip flops for the ride home so I don't have to use the air. I also park facing east with a sun shield in the windshield and there is a small tree behind where I park so from around 3:30 or so my car is mostly in shade. Ice water or a quick stop for a slurpee on the way home goes a long way too. Obviously I don't get the same kind of heat here so you'll have to decide what works for you and of course it doesn't matter how much fuel you save if you die of a heat stroke trying to do it.

12. Right Lane Cruiser

Hi, Gabe -- same here. I just remove my dress shirt and drive home in my white undershirt. <shrug>

I grew up in SC where it was hotter for longer but we still get 100+ temps here in MN on occasion.

13. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

My ac doesn't work any more. ;) I have a high tolerance for heat, which helps.

14. gabe1475

Not a bad idea, but with all the water I would end up drinking, I may have to make a pit stop to go to the bathroom. I may try this though up to 90 degrees, once at a 100 I will probably stick to the AC. I

Driving around in the Summer with no AC. That is what I call dedication!:)

15. SentraSE-R

SentraSE-R Pishtaco

I lived in Tucson in the '70s, and didn't have AC in my car or truck. A DQ Mr. Misty would keep me cool for an hour. Even though I have AC now, and use it, I still stop at the DQs in Gila Bend and Yuma for Mr. Mistys when I drive that route. Try a blender on ice cubes, and make a 32 oz. cup of slush ice for your drive home. Crack the windows 1/4 down, and I'll bet you won't miss AC a bit.

I also lived in GA in the '90s, and AZ dry heat has it all over humid heat. I can understand the OP's desire to run the AC. Set the half kilotank record in the Spring or Fall, then. I got 552 miles from one tank in my Scion, and still had 1.3 gal. in the tank when I refilled. I think a kilo-kilometer (1000 km, or 625 miles) tank is a possibility with my xB.

16. gabe1475

Very close to my 500 mile goal on this tank. Just over 56MPG and 488 miles on the tank when the car’s gauge was showing that I have .1 Gallons left. Was not willing to pass another gas station and risk being stuck on the side of the road. At least a new record for MPG. This tank has started out great with my tank average at 59.5 for the first 80 miles. If I can keep it up and temps hold in the mid 80’s, I should be able to get the 500 mile tank by the end of April. If only the car had a true manual, this would be a piece of cake.

17. gabe1475

Had an interview this week and had to use the AC. The one trip dropped my MPG to 53. Back up to 54, but will not be any record breaker this tank.

On another note I noticed that the car does better when you accelerate at a decent pace vs slow acceleration. What have other people noticed regarding how to accelerate and what is best for MPG?

18. PaleMelanesian

If you can give it moderate acceleration at low rpm, that's the best. Automatics don't always allow this, so for them I find it better to target low rpm first, higher accelerating load second. If you can control the gear shifts for low rpm, so much better.

19. gabe1475

What I noticed is if I accelerate and shift at lower RPM's the result is not as good as if I accelerate moderately and let the car shift.

20. PaleMelanesian

Hmmm... I'm unfamiliar with that car, so things may be different in that case.