The Crimson Crawler

Discussion in 'My Ride' started by Nevyn, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

On Friday, February 5th, 2010, My wife and I finally replaced my beat-up, fuel-sucking, everything-leaking 1993 Chevy Lumina with this:

[​IMG]

2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS
    2.0L DOHC Inline 4-cylinder with CVVT (Continuously Variable Valve Timing)
    4-speed automatic transmission

We received it with 94913 miles on it, for $3500.

New tires on the front, timing belt replaced at 55k, brakes looked good what I could see. Was told that it had an exhaust leak - I could see it at the resonator joint; no big deal.

This is the story of me, the car, and everything in between. :Banane37:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  2. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

Re: The Crimson Crawler, 2-06-10

Took it out to the Eagle Arms Gun Show with a friend this morning. Was a little concerned about all the unknowns with having an unfamiliar vehicle in the snow, but wanted to find out.

Taking it VERY easy everywhere, and the back end broke loose TWICE without warning. Took closer look at rear tires - Boy, do they need replaced ASAP!:eek:

On the way home, stopped to pump up the tires, I knew they were low but didn't care to do it first thing on the way out. 22 PSI front, 24 PSI rear. :mad::eyebrow: I didn't think they were THAT low...

Pumped up to 46/44. Re-start car, and my face dropped:
    CEL.

Oh no, Amanda is going to KILL me! My buddy with me points out that we just DOUBLED the tire pressure. Oh, that could be it...wait, no, they didn't get TPMS until 2007 MY. "Either that, or after a good highway burn your exhaust leak is making the O2 sensor go crazy." AHH, that's not SO bad. I can work with that.

We keep heading for home. I thought it handled nicely before, WOW was it even better! Now worried about rear tires even more.

Thinking about everything that needs done or that I want to do; I have quite a laundry list!

• Oil Change
    • Fuel Injector Cleaner
    • ATF Change
    • Air Filter Change
    • Cabin Air Filter change
    • Spark Plug and wire change
    • Rear tire replacement
    • Headlight aiming check/new bulbs
    • Fix exhaust leak
    • Convince wife to let me get SGII :p

Guess I'll start with the easy ones. Stopped at AutoZone on the way home to get CEL read. Turn on key, plug in reader, LINK ERROR. Uh-Oh...not more trouble! Turn off and unplug. 2nd verse, same as the first: Turn on key, plug in reader, LINK ERROR.

That's it, I'm going home. Return reader, drop off friend, head home. Wife not happy, but understanding. Made sure to tell her that AZ doesn't clear codes; if we want that done we'll need to go to dealer :eek: or get our own - AKA SGII. :p

I remember reading on this one really cool site ( cleanmpg.com ) that Hyundai's do weird things with their OBD-II ports. Research, and find out that to connect scanners, do it BACKWARDS! Connect scanner, THEN turn key.

Take family to Wilkes-Barre for shopping. I can tell that the car is getting horrible MPG (~20), but don't care at the moment; still riding the "new car high." Headlights are AWESOME at night - I'd love to put Silverstars or some other blue-white bulb in it, but really don't need to because they are soooo good.

Get CEL cleared at Advance Auto - told the guy that Hyundai's are backwards. He was surprised, but said thanks - glad to know for next time. Cleared code for me, but came back shortly after - then again, exhaust leak still not fixed.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  3. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

Re: The Crimson Crawler, 02-07-10

Get ready for church nice and early, gotta put gas in car and want to pick up some things at AutoZone for oil change; plan is to work on it Tuesday evening during Women's Bible Study at my house. Will also be working on exhaust leak at that time.

Bought:
    • Gumout High Mileage Fuel Injector Cleaner w/Regane
    • FRAM Air Filter CA9392 - $2 off w/oil change supplies!
    • Valvoline MaxLife 5W-30 Semi-Synth (for high mileage cars)
    • FRAM ToughGuard Oil Filter

4. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Administrator Staff Member

Do yourself a favor, and fix that exhaust leak as soon as possible... take it from experience ;). You'll also want to replace that first O2 sensor. What are the consequences of ignoring it?

* O2 sensor will foul
    * Engine is currently running WAY rich, and the MPGs show it
    * Cat #1 will disintegrate
    * Cat #2 will get clogged with remains of cat #1
    * If out of warranty (and you might be, the power train one is halved for the second owner)... but I THINK the cats are warrantied to 8 years/100k by the FEDs. Anyway, those cats are big time expensive, 2200 I was told when mine were replaced under warranty. Just in parts

5. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

It WILL be getting fixed asap. I need to call Hyndai about the warranty. Not that there's much left anyway; 95,000 miles out of a possible 100,000.

If that's the way warranty repairs are, then no WAY would I go that route. The cat's are about $179 to replace; O2's are just shy of $80 if I buy them myself.

Office is close today due to snow; so maybe I'll go out to the garage with an electric heater and take care of it at some point today.

6. Ophbalance

Unfortunately, the warranty is great for the first owner, but not so much for the second party. It drops that 10 year, 100k miles to 6 year, 60k. And yes, dealer costs for anything are through the roof. At least in Durham. They couldn't fix my flex pipe, and wanted 350 (in just parts!) to replace everything from the exhaust header back to the intermediary pipe. I had an independent shop just weld in a new piece of flex pipe for $120. That fix has held up for about 4 years, and just recently broke.

7. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Dealer repair/maintenance costs have been my one complaint with the Elantra (aside from the damage they apparently did to try to persuade me to purchase a new model at 60K). :(

I also recommend finding a good independent mechanic you can trust to do the work for you.

8. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

I second that idea!!!!!!

good luck Nevyn,I am sure it will be a nice upgrade for you once you get the bugs worked out from the previous owner!

9. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

Re: The Crimson Crawler, 2-10-10

Changed oil today in between shoveling rounds. Blackish-GREEN in the light of my flashlight. Valvoline MaxLife Semi-Synth 5W-30 put in as replacement with FRAM ToughGuard oil filter.

Also changed air filter with a FRAM. The one I took out was Hyundai OEM, and the paper was YELLOWED - I don't know if it's supposed to be that color or not; pics to come later.

Still have the leak at the resonator to work on for exhaust. Looks like the resonator is integrated to the pipe section of catalytic converter #2. I hope I don't have to replace the whole section... :mad::eyebrow::(

Car temporarily parked. The back tires are so bad I WON'T take it out with the snow out there - gives me a chance to work on the exhaust at least.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  10. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

The oil sounds normal.

Fram? I would use an oem oil filter or pur one.

As for air filter, eh, i use a washable filter, less waste, eventually it makes up as I keep my cars for a while. :)

11. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

To get an OEM filter, I'd have to go to nearest dealer - 40 miles away. Pur I'd need to order. I would have loved to put Amsoil or Royal Purple in it, but that would over double my cost - something I can't do right now.

AutoZone is nice and close (3/4 mile away), and their "rewards" program is exceptional.

I got a 5 liter ("5+quart") jug of semi-synth and the oil filter for $18.99. This gave me a $2 discount on the air filter.

Any time you spend $20 at AZ, you get a "point." At 5 points, you get a $20 store credit. As long as you can keep your trips to near 20 bucks, that's a 20% return - nothing can touch it. Then, just save up the credits until you have a BIG purchase - and boom, major discount.

12. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

Re: The Crimson Crawler, 02-22-10

General status update; it's been a while. Here's an update on the "laundry list" I created:

• Oil Change DONE 2-10-10
    • Fuel Injector Cleaner DONE 2-10-10
    • Air Filter Change DONE 2-10-10
    • Convince wife to let me get SGII :p DONE 2-17-10
    • Fix exhaust leak DONE 2-21-10
    • ATF Change
    • Cabin Air Filter change
    • Spark Plug and wire change
    • Rear tire replacement
    • Headlight aiming check/new bulbs

Got my SGII from NervousMini last week. It has been SUCH a help! Not only for MPG monitoring while driving, but also clearing my CEL due to exhaust leak, and also cleared code for FIL as well.

Has helped me learn that the Crawler likes TPS 12 IGN 40 a LOT - reading 62 MPG if I can keep that up. Started out watching IGN LOD TPS MPG, now watching AVG MPG TPS IGN.

2-21-10: Exhaust leak FIXED! I don't mean repaired, I mean fixed for good. Total cost: $22. I took it over to a buddy's house after church seeing as weather was nice. Used sawzall to cut off old flexpipe section, and WELDED a new one in. Took about 2.5 hours, plus we ran to store for an "official" flex section instead of using the little piece of it that I had.
    Soaked the O2 sensor in carb cleaner while we worked, came out nice and pretty. It was BLACK when we first removed it. Car is super-quiet now; I can't wait to hear it after new tires! Also seems to have a little more "oomph" than before. Seems to be able to maintain same speed/MPG as before at 1 tick lower on TPS readout - I can use 15 instead of 16, etc.

2-22-10: Stopped this morning and aired up a little more: 50 front, 45 rear. Between fixed exhaust/clean O2, and air in tires, seems to be 2-4 MPG better for iMPG at same TPS.

I now have $20 at AutoZone after buying parts. Not sure if I should use it on ATF or if I should use it to get a bigger/bettter/more complete set of metric tools. :)

13. SentraSE-R

SentraSE-R Pishtaco

Looking forward to your next report. Best we've done with my wife's '06 Elantra GLS (AT) is 42 mpg on a long highway trip to Las Vegas.

14. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

I've driven half of this tank with the exhaust leak and "poor" MPG; I'm going to be filling relatively soon even though I'm just under half.

Your '06 is the 'HD' model; my '04 is known as an 'XD2.' I have the body style of the XD, but the CVVT engine that came with the mid-XD-model refresh. I'm not sure of all the other changes besides body style, but our engine should be the same. Judging from our saturday night shopping trip, 42 MPG seems to be the upper limit for "standard" driving. Manual says NO to any activity where the drive wheels are down and car is moving; this cuts out FAS/EOC. I'm not experienced enough to P&G either. If we had those two techniques available I think we could approach 50 depending on terrain.

I'll get an entry into my log relatively soon for everyone, and thus will begin the calibration of my SGII.

15. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Good luck with your new to you Hyundai.

When you get a chance order two or three OEM oil filters for future use.

I Googled Hyundai parts and found this site which sells OEM parts mail order.
    hyundaiaccessorystorel

There's a reason they refer to Fram oil filters as the Orange can of death.

One oil change the Fram isn't going to matter much but over several oil changes you want a quality oil filter in your car.

16. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

Forgot about the issues with FRAM and Hyundai - Whoops! Took off an orange FRAM to put on my SILVER (ooooooo, shiny) one. The ToughGuard's are supposed to be manufactured differently than the regular ones, not that it means much. :p

I'll probably be "short-changing" this oil change anyway, simply so that I can get whatever glop may have been in there worked out, if any, and go to full synthetic at a lighter weight. Then, I guess either Pur, OEM, or Wix?

17. Ophbalance

TPS 12 was a sweet spot for my 99 as well. Glad you got that leak fixed!

18. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

Re: The Crimson Crawler, 03-01-10

Argh. Some other aggravations, but all minor.

FIRST FILLUP RESULTS! :woot::woot:

02-27-10
    472.4 miles
    $2.739/gal

I used 15.187 gallons for a whole whopping........*drumroll*.....31.10 MPG! :eyebrow::(:mad::confused:

I thought I did way better than that! What went wrong...ah! I stuffed the tank harder this time than I did last time. If I had stopped at same point, it would have been more like 14.25 gallons; which would yield 33.1 MPG. That sounds more like what I was figuring it'd come out as. Now, however, I know where the top of the tank is as far as stuffing goes. That tank I burned out *SHOULD* have been pure gas; not sure about what I put in it for refill but I'm betting it was E10 (or worse) filth. [​IMG]

Reset SGII. HOME>MORE>FILLUP, adjust to 15.2 gallons. Offset jumps to -53% :)eek:). Oh, that' probably because of it still having tank data from NervousMini's Blazer in it. Off to the hardware store!
    *looks at SGII* WHOA! I'm driving an Insight-I! SGII reading 72.4 MPG! Hmm, guess that offset is too high. I'll fix it when I get there.

Get to HW store, start poking. What are the rules on adjusting without resetting tank? Oh, right. HOME>MORE>FILLUP>whoops! accidentally hit reset. Agh, now it'll be off by 0.5 gallons. Ah well, no MAJOR loss. HOME>MORE>FILLUP---crank down offset, do NOT push done, just go back to HOME. There we go, crank it from -53% down to -25%, let's try that.

2-28-10 Took the family up to Muncy to the mall. SGII still seemed a little high; cranked offset up to +5% so that the gallons are closer to estimated correct. We'll try again next fillup...

Car is MUCH quieter with exhaust repaired. Now, to get rid of those singing rear tires...

19. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

Re: The Crimson Crawler, 03-04-10

Short-filled the tank today. I had cash on me, it was half-empty, and I knew they had just dropped the price a couple cents.

Went to the same station, same pump as last time. And the price was back up already compared to when I saw it lowered. :mad: Such is life.

3-4-10
    253.1 miles
    7.817 gallons
    $2.739/gal
    32.38 MPG

Enh. Marginally better. SGII offset jumped from -12% to +25%; I set it to +9% and we'll see how that goes.

Spilled a little stuffing the tank, so we went for a bath too. The shmuck on it was relatively nasty, so I didn't feel it was a waste.

Wife took it last night to go out with a friend...SGII shows 71 MPH max and 3283 RPM. :eek::mad::mad: Went to look at Trip A, which I've been using to track total miles since we bought it, and it said 42.6 :eek::mad::mad::mad::mad: What did she DO????? :eyebrow:

Not a happycat this morning. :(

20. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Sounds like she did a little, "Let's see what this puppy can do!" driving. :(