Kia Planning New Hybrid Concept for Chicago

Discussion in 'Kia' started by Right Lane Cruiser, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

[​IMG] More information should be available as soon as the Ray Concept bows later this month.

[FIMG=RIGHT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/plug.jpg[/FIMG]George Delozier - INVENTORSPOT - February 3, 2010

The race for budget hybrids is about to get very interesting! --Ed.

It should come as no surprise that the upcoming Chicago Auto Show will once again be dominated by the hybrid variety. While many will be updated versions of previously introduced models, Kia is planning on using Chicago to introduce their recently teased Ray Concept.

The design was born at the American Kia Design Center and is the first to be based on the Hyundai Blue-Will Concept that debuted earlier this year in Detroit. The powertrain Kia is planning on using is similar to the unit already slated for use in the Sonata
    Hybrid that will be hitting the lots later this year. In fact, the only likely difference will be the size.

According to Kia, the plug in system will be able to... [RM]http://inventorspot.com/articles/kia_planning_new_hybrid_concept_chicago_37457[/RM]

2. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

So are they still planning on using Li-Cobalt batteries to incinerate the vehicle occupants in a crash?

3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Sean:

___Like most, I am all but tired of these "Concept Hybrids" and concept anything else’s. Given Toyota and Honda have been producing Hybrids for well over a decade and these guys are just now getting into hybrids?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

4. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

I think we should all be a bit more positive on the news. Kia and Hyundai have recently started gaining traction in the market and have done well in making their gasoline engines as efficient as the best out there.

Hybrid technology, was brought to the plate just over 10 years ago, Kia and Hyundai had their plate full with working out the kinks in their vehicle reliability and quality. Now that they have a firm foot in the industry and making a name for themselves, they are expanding their horizons and in the right direction at that. They prove that you don't need to sell huge monstrosities to hold your ground in the automotive industry.

That said, if Kia had came out with a hybrid earlier, they would've had a fate worse than GM's killing of the EV1. Ford got some tech from Toyota in the early part of the decade. FORD is pretty much the company that invented the automobile, so I would give the Korean brands some slack.

GM, which has been around and such a large part of the global industry hasn't come out with anything worthwhile, save for their two-mode which doesn't even make it into mainstream transportation. Any company can throw a hybrid into a guzzling SUV as we have obviously seen, since it is so easy to make a profit with the inflated prices, I'm sure hyundai/kia could've done that. Making a budget hybrid is not easy, and takes time, Both Honda and Toyota have proven that given the costs of their automobiles. Their cost over time might be less, but if you buy a used car, TCO becomes less of an issue with other brands.

I'm surprised that they were able to pick up so much momentum with what revamping Hyundai/Kia has been doing recently. I applaud them for their efforts because Honda's overpriced Insight and Toyota's recalls have a LOT of people rethink where they will get their next car. If Kia can come out and show them how to do it right, we might have a competitive budget hybrid market.

5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___After seeing the "Ray" in person, it does not have a "Ray of Hope" to ever make it to market in anything like its present form. Total concept with the concept based micro thin seats, hard dash and goofy wheels, plastic structure…

[​IMG]
    :rolleyes:

___Good Luck

___Wayne