Mileage Logs

Discussion in 'Website news & discussions' started by lxmike, Jan 28, 2010.

1. lxmike

lxmike Well-Known Member

What do the diff status ranking mean there. skilled, elite and expert. I just noticed i was elite and was curious. :)

2. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Hi, Mike -- they are for indicating percentages of EPA (POE) combined. For the old ratings:

• 100% < POE <= 125% indicates Skilled
    • 125% < POE <= 150% indicates Expert
    • 150% < POE indicates Elite

For the new ratings established in 2007, those percentages are instead:

• 100% < POE <= 150% indicates Skilled
    • 150% < POE <= 180% indicates Expert
    • 180% < POE indicates Elite

This is accomplished by adjusting the new ratings by a factor of 1.2 in an attempt to match actual mpg markers up to the older ratings (say for an '06 Yaris and an '07 Yaris with identical mechanicals). It should be pretty close, but it isn't always. In case you are wondering, the adjustment factor is automatically applied based on the year specified for a vehicle. Yours is 1999 so it follows the first set of percentages.

When I'm finished working through upgrades of the server and forum software, I'll be tackling getting all of our vehicles converted to the newer EPA ratings so all percentages are based off the same system.

3. ab2cmiller

ab2cmiller Member

From what I can tell, it looks like you also have to have over 5000 miles recorded to get a rating. Is this correct?

4. Right Lane Cruiser

Correct, AB2CMiller.

5. alvaro84

alvaro84 Homura-chan's selfishness

...and what about the vehicles that don't have EPA ratings?

And a different phenomenon: something's wrong with the unit conversion of the avg. trip distance field of the log entries. Specificly: if I enter it in kms, I see it converted to miles later. I don't care too much, but the problem is that it somehow gets converted permanently and if I edit an older entry its already filled in miles and gets converted again when I save the entry (so it gets 1.6 times less every single time I forget something :D)

6. Right Lane Cruiser

Well that's not good! Sounds like I need to do some more chasing of conversions. Internally, the DB keeps everything listed in US parameters. The metric conversions were added to the mix after the logs were already established and there are some bugs in the on the fly conversions. Please capture some screen shots of this phenomenon and PM links to them so I can see exactly what it is you are doing/seeing. Thanks!

(By the way, for no EPA ratings you'll just have to guess. For motorcycles, the code already ignores whatever is entered for highway because at least in the US any EPA rating is the unadjusted city cycle number.)

7. alvaro84

Then it seems that a US-to-metric conversion will do when opening an entry to edit (at least when the mileage log is set to metric).
    I shot the steps of editing an entry and I'll send it to you.

8. Right Lane Cruiser

You are correct and thank you!

9. alvaro84

I thank you in advance :)

10. warthog1984

warthog1984 Well-Known Member

@RLC-

How are motorcycle ratings arrived at? Is it 25%, etc... above the EPA number or some other offset to account for the use of straight CAFE numbers?

11. Right Lane Cruiser

Actually, they are just applied directly to the CAFE numbers since that is all that is published for motorcycles (if even that).

12. alvaro84

Yup, I'd like to see official figures for our bikes, but there are only constant 90 and 120km/h values for the F650CS (so I used them having nothing else) and nothing for the GV250 :(

13. alvaro84

As my log got longer both in entries and years, I spotted another distracting issue: it seems that the graph gets drawn starting at the present, and going back in time; so the previous years' data lines cover the new points. I think it would be better to start at the first entry and let the recent ones drawn on the top of the old ones.

And the average trip distance metric conversion bug is still there, too :eek:

14. Right Lane Cruiser

I never noticed the drawing order before. I'll have to noodle on that one for a while.

Sorry I never got back around to troubleshooting the average trip distance conversions!! :(

15. jaholcomb

jaholcomb New Member

Absolutely love the site, the forums, and most especially the mileage logs. Amazing! Simply Amazing! There is something that does kinda frustrate me (of course everyone has to nitpick right???). It is great that everyone can put in numbers and I like that driver designations are at 5000 mile intervals. The frustrating part for me is having to scroll so far down to get to my cars. I feel that this is in part to all of the cars that only have 1 or 2 tanks of gas input into the system. It is great to see that someone got 45 mpg in their car, but when I see it was a 200 mile tank... Not sure if that is something that could even be modified to where people can see their mpg's when they log in but not on the main page until they hit 5000 miles. Regardless, this isn't a deal breaker for me. You are doing a great job and this post is in no way meant to be a putdown. thanks

16. alvaro84

Hmmm... yes, it would be really nice (for example) to be able to filter to 'actively updated' vehicles, or ones with a certain amount of entries or distance. That could easily exclude those entries with a few tanks some time in the past.

Though I don't have many problems with Wayne's 250cc motorcycle test entries - I'll never beat them, but I don't even have to, I just sort on distance and I feel unbeatable :D

Ather than that, you can always see your own vehicles on the very top of the page, in case you'd like to update their logs.

17. digidug

digidug Well-Known Member

alvaro84, this is a great idea.

I would love to see the graph drawn from old to new. After 4 years and 177 tanks, the recent data gets buried in the old data: http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage&displayunits=MPG(US)&viewcar=1057

To Right Lane Cruiser and everyone who works on this website. Your effort is very much appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  18. twoodcc

twoodcc Well-Known Member

i'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong, but i'm trying to add a new vehicle and i can't pick anything newer than 2006.

19. CRT1

CRT1 Newbie McNewbster

Just type it in.

20. Right Lane Cruiser

The last time new car models were loaded into the logs was 2006 -- I have to do a major rewrite in order to import newer because they changed the ratings methodology in 2007.

It is on the (rather long) list.