Banishing speed bumps could save British motorists £400m a year

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Chuck, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

[​IMG] "Speed humps are as much of a menace as potholes, and do much the same damage."

[fimg=RIGHT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/SpeedBump.jpg[/fimg]David Williams - TELEGRAPH - Dec 17, 2009

Because a few speed well over the limit, everybody has to go well under the limit to protect their cars --Ed.

Warranty Direct claims that up to six per cent of damage to suspension alone can be traced back to drivers attempting to negotiate 'traffic calming' measures such as sleeping policemen, and the average repair bill is £240.

That equates to a potential bill of £413 million a year - or £1.1 million a day across Britain's 28.2 million cars, says the firm.

It spoke out after the government announced proposals that would allow councils to introduce the 20 mph zones without also having to install traffic calming measures such as the 'sleeping policeman'. ... [rm]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/6832646/Banishing-speed-bumps-could-save-British-motorists-400m-a-year.html[/rm]

2. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

The article may be British, but the issue is global.

In America, a parking lot will be used for racing, then speed bumps go up. Often it's the type that you have to go 5mph to avoid damage. :mad:

A shopping center had this semi-public road that was great to FAS the quarter mile...then they put speed bumps. {sigh}

Suspect that fear of legal action prompts speed bumps and overreaction.

3. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Speed bumps hurt more than they help. Put up obvious and lower speed limit signs.

4. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Agreed, but the root problem is too many people will speed unless something physically stops them. :(

5. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

People speed on the highways also, however, there are no speed bumps in place. What's so bad about enforcing the laws randomly in parking lots/areas where these problems occur? Start issuing the tickets and the dragsters will retire. It doesn't make much sense to keep the speed bumps. I've never liked them. As the article mentions the similarites with potholes, it's bad enough that some roads don't get the proper maintenance, now the roads that get maintenance make it annoying and using the brakes inevitable.

6. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Ricardo,

I oppose speed bumps, but understand why they are built.

I'd prefer more enforcement.

Just don't understand why more speed tickets are written - don't they raise revenue?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

I've read that speed bumps are also bad for fuel consumption, an issue that occasionally gets discussed around here ;)

In my area some parking lots put a couple of speed bumps, spaced about 4 feet apart, more or less where the broad white line would be at stop signs. Those are even more fun: you end up bobbing up and down, trying to get momentum as you roll into the intersection.

Another head-shaker is the ones that are spaced about 20 foot on center, all the way along a drive: royal irritant.

8. drimportracing

drimportracing Pizza driver: 61,000+ deliveries

9. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Isn't that stealing energy? after you bought the gas they're sapping your energy for their use? Sorry Dale, I don't like. I couldn't imagine the grid would be happy if I was able to tap into their offpeak energy going to waste.

10. lightfoot

lightfoot Reformed speeder

+1
    I'm in Guatemala for a while and speedbumps are everywhere, often poorly marked. They make hypermiling extremely difficult because you can't maintain momentum, even at a reasonable, legal speed. No glides. Even going 30kph (18mph) you have to brake to a crawl to negotiate them.
    Some towns have multiple bumps, sometimes as little as 20 yards apart, which seem senseless: once they have slowed you down as you enter the town, why force you to repeatedly nearly stop?
    Another issue is the buses here, converted retired schoolbuses: they belch choking clouds of black smoke from some unknown fuel every time they accelerate after crawling over a speed bump.
    The bumps are so bad that once I popped my front bicycle tire off the rim when I went over one, and I certainly wasn't going that fast.

11. lightfoot

A big problem with this is that it is still extremely wasteful: a lot of energy is lost braking before a speed bump and accelerating to legal speed afterwards. That energy would not be recovered by this scheme.
    There's also the issue of conversion losses.

12. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

I hate speed bumps. but I am totally against the idea of just lower the speed limits and write more tickets. Law enforcement is needed for serious crimes and not minor offenses like this. If I have to choose between speed bumps and a greater police state then I would much rather have the speed bumps.

13. aca2983

aca2983 Well-Known Member

An alternate title could be "Slowing Down for Speed Bumps Could Save British Motorists 400m per Year".

Everybody hates them, but the function of them is usually to create safer and friendlier pedestrian environments, which I'm definitely in favor of.

14. lightfoot

The problem with most speed bumps on streets around here (Guatemala) is that you have to slow down BELOW the speed limit to negotiate them without damage. If somebody would develop a 20mph speed bump that would be much better, but the ones I see are 3mph bumps in a 20mph zone, which doesn't make sense and definitely wastes fuel.

Overuse is another problem. I'll count them when we go out this afternoon, but I would estimate that there are 15-20 speed bumps in about 1 mile on the main thoroughfare passing through the small town closest to here.

15. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

This is a textbook of how most laws - bad laws get passed.
    • a few flagrantly break the law
    • finally action must be taken
    • overkill
    • blame the government

16. drimportracing

drimportracing Pizza driver: 61,000+ deliveries

I understand that there wouldn't be a 100% conversion of energy from a "power bump" and that installing one for only the purpose of leeching energy from cars that would otherwise not be speeding would be a waste and a selfish misuse.

However, there are places that a speed bump is required and those places currently don't recover any of the energy that is lost.

I remembered this: http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/01/on-the-rebound-scientists-invent-regenerative-shocks/ and thought this is great if your vehicle is already factory equipped with this type of system, where as a power bump in a location that already has a speed bump would make use of wasted energy by all cars that go over it. There are advantages to both systems.

I don't mind speed bumps, they, like stop signs are a necessary part of driving. Sometimes you've got to deal with inconveniences because of other people's misbehavior, I find ways to make a bad situation better and I liked this kids thinking.

The younger me needed more speed bumps than I do now. I haven't forgotten my speed racer days. :D - Dale

17. Taliesin

Taliesin Well-Known Member

I really hate the ones they have installed here at the Air Force Base.

15 mph speed limit, 20 mph speed bumps.

That most people slow down to 5 mph to cross.

This used to be a perfect fas section for me, as I could maintain 15 mph for almost half a mile with the engine off. I can still do it except for the cars in front of me dropping to 5, gassing up to 15, braking to 5, gassing to 15, braking to 5, gassing to 25.

And now they have put a 5 mph speed limit for the middle 20 yards of this stretch...

Just before the uphill section to the stop sign.

/sigh