Observations on the OEM upgrade chip

Discussion in 'Mercedes-Benz' started by Ptero, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Ptero

Ptero Hydrogen Nut, Battery Skeptic

I had the dealer install the upgrade chip during warranty service. Basically, the engine revs higher in lower gears and shifts more agressively. I was concerned that this would affect my MPG but it's possible that this power range is as efficient or even more efficient than the prevous one because I can't tell any difference.

One thing that bugs me a little is I had to change my shifting technique to force an upshift after coasting by very quickly moving from N through D and left, then forward. I mean VERY QUICKLY. But it works and the car is overall better in traffic with no discernable difference on the highway.

2. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Was this part of a TSB or something? What's the reason for the "upgrade chip"?

3. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

Ptero, i am a little confused by the term "upgrade chip". Are you referring to the computer software update that smart was offering to owners of the 08? If so, did you know that you can actuate the manual mode with the paddles shifters(If you have the paddle shifters on your)

4. gabe1475

gabe1475 Well-Known Member

You can, but only if it is in Drive. Ptero is going from N to D to M to +. The other way to do it would be N to D on the shifter and back to Padle shifter to get into the higer gear. Easier to do it all on the shifter. I actually stick to switching back to drive at 41MPH as the car stays in 5th gear, below that you end up getting 4th gear.

5. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

Ahhhh, OK i understand now. :)

6. Ptero

Ptero Hydrogen Nut, Battery Skeptic

Probably most owners want more leadfoot performance.

Yes. I don't know how it shifts with paddles - don't have 'em.