Aero Hub Caps.

Discussion in 'General' started by xcel, Nov 13, 2006.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

2. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

Interesting. Too bad you have to drill your rims to install them. Otherwise I would seriously consider them.

3. xcel

Hi Tom:

___There are always multiple ways of attaching something like this without having to drill into an aluminum wheel ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

4. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

Now you have me thinking ;) I see they make them in 14" too.

5. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Mmm...sexy. I can see it now, driving down the strip with the windows down and some good tunes playing. In the passenger seat, my cat: the only female willing to get within 30 feet of my car. And only because I locked her in a box first ;).

Sorry, couldn't resist. I would be interested in a quantification of what these things can do.

6. VaBeachPrius

VaBeachPrius Well-Known Member

FYI. That car belongs to "theforce" on either priuschat.com or greenhybrid.com.

7. hobbit

hobbit He who posts articles

Wow, they actually intend that you break the bead on the
    tubeless and re-seal it. Without mentioning use of any of
    the funny bead-sealant goop that, say, the tire shop used
    on the Hydroedges the other day... sometimes it astounds
    me that tubeless tires work at all and don't leak faster
    than they do.
    _H*

8. xcel

Hi All:

___Does anyone know of a solid clear Plexiglas or plastic that could be cutout and Velcroed/zip tied into place that would not affect the balance of the wheel/tire combo? $38 for a single hub cap seems a bit much when all you would need is a see through cover that would perform the same function but allow the beauty of the OEM wheels to show through?

___I was thinking along the lines of the wheels on my Accord’s or the HCH-II with the EX wheels as shown below but with a clear smooth cover to improve the Aerodynamics?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

___Good Luck

___Wayne

9. highwater

highwater Well-Known Member

The Plexi will cloud over on you pretty quick in this environment. As for drilling the rims, next time you get close to a rock climber, check out his rims.

Randall

10. Mike Dabrowski 2000

Mike Dabrowski 2000 Well-Known Member

Wayne,
    I use a lot of 1/16" clear lexan. The material is tougher than plexiglas, will not crack or craze, can be bent with a sheetmetal brake, or cut with sheet metal shears. Draw a circle with a compass, and cut out with shears and you would have a nice tough plastic disk. The brake dust and road dust would probably start to accumulate in the spaces between the spokes though, and since it is glass clear, would look pretty bad if not cleaned out frequently.
    A 4X8 sheet is about $60-$80.;)

11. lindermant

lindermant Well-Known Member

put some on my plain jane civic back in Aug - no noticeable gain in FE. Recently took them off because they squeak pretty badly at low speeds...

[​IMG]

12. xcel

Hi Tim:

___Even if there was no noticeable FE increase, for some reason, I love the looks of those things! Did you have to screw them on, use an epoxy, zip ties, double sided tape … what?

___I think your Civic looks like a rocket ship with those moon hubcaps!

___Good Luck

___Wayne

13. tarabell

tarabell Well-Known Member

14. xcel

Hi Tarabell:

___Are you a closet Bling-Bling-Ricer or something ;)

[​IMG]

Totally cool wheels!

___Good Luck

___Wayne

15. lindermant

lindermant Well-Known Member

wayne,

I sprung for the "moon eyes" brand, and they were snap on...

**edited to add that they are snap on for my steel wheels**

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  16. TheForce

TheForce He who posts articles

Hello everyone! That is my car you see in the first post by the great xcel. :D

I just wanted to reply to some of the posts here on how I installed mine.

I did not want to drill through my rims because I did not want to risk damaging them or the tire. What I did was mount the hubcap onto the trim ring. This allows for a quick pop off with a screwdriver or what I like to use is a nylon Toyota panel/clip removal tool to keep from scratching the rims. I laid the hubcaps on the trim rings and drilled 6 holes. I used pop rivets to connect the two together. So far they are holding on strong for over 5000 miles and at 101mph. :)

I think I saw no more than a 2mpg increase buts thats not why I bought them. I bought them because I like the look.

If you want to read all the info I posted about them you can visit http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=17996

I think I will try to spend some more time over here and read up on whats going on. I've been meaning to get my fuel mileage in the database over here for a while now but havnt got around to it yet.

17. tonyr

tonyr Member

Why couldn't these discs be attached to those gawdawfal 15" wheel covers on a Gen III prius?
    Mine are just getting dusty in the garage.

18. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Yes, they could be attached. Ours have been stored in a cardboard box since about the 10th day we owned the gen III. I pulled into a parking place in Charlottesville, VA by our 08 touring that never had caps on the 16" wheels. On the other side was a Scion TC without caps. The TC wheel spokes are very similar to the gen III wheels. When I got home, I purchased the center caps for an 05-09 and boxed the plastic up.

19. talleyho12

talleyho12 Member

i think you can buy some that arent screw on on ebay in stainless for 80 for all 4