Wheel skirts on a Corolla

Discussion in 'My Ride' started by Chalupa102, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Chalupa102

Chalupa102 Cycling more to drive less

I just installed rear wheel skirts on my '05 Corolla. They were a pain to make, but i like the way they came out. Hopefully i'll see an increase in f/e.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. drimportracing

drimportracing Pizza driver: 61,000+ deliveries

That was quick! Great job. What are they made out of? How did you do it? What are they fastened with and attached to? :D - Dale

3. Chalupa102

Thanks :). The skirts are made out of coroplast. I made a cardboard template, but it actually didn't help that much. I kept running back and forth with the coroplast piece to my house to use to sander to shave off the excess. I used a 1" x 3' steel piece to go across the wheel well so the coroplast wouldn't hit the tire. 5 brackets are placed around the wheel well. 2 screws are used to hold just the coroplast at the top and 2 longer screws with a nut in the back to hold the steel piece and the coroplast on.

4. Rokeby

Rokeby Gen II Prianista

Chalupa102,

Well done indeed. From what I've read here and elsewhere, you may see FE
    improvements of as much as 3% more likely, 1-2%. But, every little bit helps.

At the risk of sounding "pushy," you might consider painting/powder coating your wheels
    the body color. But keep a thin silver strip at the edge, either polished, or Scotch Brighted
    for a more subdued look. Very sharp! To my eye, this would help balance the look of the
    car from the side and take away a "sitting back on its haunches." leaned back, static
    appearance.

At any rate, nice job. I hope you can do some FE tests. I'lm interested to hear what effect,
    if any, you see.

5. GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel Well-Known Member

Fantastic! I like 'em!

6. Chalupa102

I really wanna say my MPG has increased since installing the rear wheel skirts. Yesterday i got the best f/e i've ever gotten on my trip to school pulling into the lot - 48.5 MPG :woot: When i first got off the pike coming to the light after the toll booths, i saw over 50, then i had some stop and go driving. I've never seen it that high before in my life :eek:. The best i've seen before the skirts was 47.5 pulling into the lot. Granted i could have had a huge tail wind yesterday but when i got out of my car it was calm. I also got great f/e on the way back home, even in the rain.

Couldn't really tell today because it was about 15-20° colder, but still got 45.7 MPG on the way there. I did get some awesome f/e coming home after putting on a small upper grill block in my school parking lot though before i left.

7. GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel Well-Known Member

That's great! The cooler weather puts a damper on FE (but not for you!) - can't wait to hear your numbers in warmer weather!

8. Chalupa102

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what i'll get once it warms up.

Filled up today. This tank had more rain, a bit more wind (especially cross winds), and a few more short trips than last, and some snow today. The average temps and lows for this one and last were pretty much the exact same.

The rear wheels skirts and a full upper and partial lower grill blocks, and removed trunk spoiler and window vent visors were done about 1/2 way thru this tank.

It's kinda hard to tell what the actual increase is right now, but i know this fill up is 3.7% better than last.