If you are in a hurry, then why am I keeping up?

Discussion in 'Hero and Jerk of the Day' started by Chuck, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Something like this has probably happened to many here, but this was comical.

I was on a four lane road when an older Neon slamed the horn - assumed it was not directed at me but a minute later repeated it passing me, so there was no doubt.

A mile down the road I glided past and slammed my horn. :p I was with this Neon for three miles.

The question begs why it took this irate driver so long to get past me? Hardly any faster with a heavier foot - what a loser! :eek:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I see this all the time. Usually they end up at a red light 2 cars ahead of me, so they never realize how close I am.

I was recently on the other side of this. In a rare instance, I was in a hurry and had to get somewhere. :eek: I was changing lanes and passing people, only to stop at the light and have them catch up again. I gave up after a few minutes. I wasn't accomplishing anything except making myself crazy.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  3. vtec-e

vtec-e Celtic MPG Warrior

So many people don't seem to get the absurdity of this do they? There is no solution to this either. Well, nothing realistic anyway.

ollie

4. Mr. Pancake

Mr. Pancake Well-Known Member

I'm telling you, there must be some sort of competition we aren't aware of and it must have some really great prizes. I'm not sure of all the rules but the object appears to be the car in front of everyone else. Maybe you get points for the amount of time you remain the lead car, I don't know. We must have all been sick from school the day they told everyone else about it or something.

5. rdprice64

rdprice64 Still Learning

This happened to me this morning too, except that I actually passed the same guy at the next light because he was impatiently waiting in the left lane for traffic to race ahead again, while I glided in the right lane at full EV speed going passed him and 2 or 3 other cars. I lost 5 mph going from 35-30mph, catching the green light glide. I didn't honk though, because my daughter doesn't like me to retaliate. Ironically, I ended up a few cars in front of him after the two lanes merged into one after another quarter mile. Luckily he turned at the next light, but I could see back there doing the NASCAR weave the entire time. I hope his head didn't explode before he got to work ;)

Back in my competitive-speed commuting days, I would have never left an opening in the right lane if it had fewer cars waiting in it. So not only is this guy impatient, but he isn't even good at "winning" the losing race.

6. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

If you suck at being terrible...then boy I dunno...

7. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

Same kind of thing happened to me yesterday on the way to work. Coming south on RT28, the road merges with rt8. 28 is left lane, 8 is right. So i was in the left lane, and i saw headlights jump over form the right lane and right up my bumper. I slid over to the right and this big pick up TOWING a small flatbed trailer went blowing past me and crawled up the bumper of a land rover. I watched this jerk jump back and forth between lanes 3 times, ending up in the left lane again. It was hilarious when i glided past him in the right lane and ended about 10 cars ahead of him at the light. Typical.

8. bomber991

bomber991 Well-Known Member

I don't know. It seems like about half of the times those people do in fact get to their destination faster. Sometimes they zoom past you and get stuck at a red light, then you roll past them when it turns green. Other times they zoom past you, go through a green light, then the light turns red and I get stuck there. Either way, we are getting better fuel efficiency than they are.

What I really don't get is when I'm on the freeway going 55mph, the speed limit is 70, and someone gets behind me for 3 or 4 miles, then zooms around and passes me on the left, then quickly goes all the way to the exit on the right. I mean, why didn't they just pass me 3 or 4 miles back? They would have saved some time if they did. Or.. why didn't they just stay behind me till the exit? Why the need to zoom around and pass me on the left 30 seconds before you exit if you've been right behind me for the past 5 minutes?

9. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

What I described was during rush hour - that driver got past me only to be behind someone else.

10. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I forgot the best part of this event. My wife was riding beside me. It was her appointment that we were late for. Even she realized that we were accomplishing nothing, and told me to, "just drive. Don't worry about it."

11. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Inattention

12. Damionk

Damionk DWL Lover

I recently had a situation like this. I have an exit ramp that is somewhat short, too short for a good FAS so I use DFCO and light up my brake lights to let others know I am slowing. A couple of guys were mere inches off my bumper and as soon as they could zoomed around me telling me I am number one.;) They get stuck at the red light I look over at them and do my smile and wave. They start cracking up. They end up getting an opening before I do and 2 lights later they are going straight and I am turning right. As I turn on red I remember to smile and wave as I drive on.