1.8L Civic: Proper acceleration to highway speed

Discussion in 'Honda' started by St. Mushroom, Nov 10, 2009.

1. St. Mushroom

St. Mushroom doesn't wash his car.

I think I fell into the too-gradual-acceleration-to-highway-speed sink, probably due to misreading LOD.

Anyone find a sweet spot (seconds) for 0 to highway speed on flat terrain? Let's say 45 MPH? This is basically how I start my morning commute.
  2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi St. Mushroom:

___For a std. DWL accel, keep LOD way down and accelerate very gently. For a P&G routine, you can open it up some and bring LOD up to 70 + %. Warm-up P&G with is your way to higher FE but leave the high LOD pulses for after the ICE is above 160 degrees F.

___Good Luck

3. atr

atr Well-Known Member

Here's a cool little read I found:

I also remember reading something a while back that pretty much stated the best way to save gas it to give the gas some get up and go. bring the revs up to 2,500rpm from the 1-2 shifts and the 2-3 shifts then drop it into 5th gear (coming from a manual transmission).
    With a auto let the car do the work. Give it enough gas to get the car shifting to the next gear around 2500-3000rpm. once you've reached your desired cursing speed let off the gas a bit to let the car shift to a higher cursing gear.
    Don't go giving the gas all it has unless you really have to.
    I normally get up to highway speeds (around 55mph ish) as quickly as I can without going past 3,000rpm.

It really comes down to using your head, know how to accelerate in a given situation. if the road is fairly tame traffic wise you can be a tad more relaxed. If it's busy rush hour traffic do what you can to get up to the pace of traffic so you can merge safely.
  4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Atr:

___Never above 2,500. Never. The only time I have been in a 1.8L Civic w/ a stick for a lengthy period was in OK and it allowed 85 mpg over a 3 or 4 mile RT. Everything was below 2,000 R's if that helps?

___Good Luck

5. St. Mushroom

St. Mushroom doesn't wash his car.

Excellent advice, thanks!

85 MPG. Wow.
  6. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I don't believe I've touched 2500 rpm in about 6 months. Even then, it was only because I was on a highway with minimum speed limits, combined with the short gearing of my transmission. Most days I never even hit 2000, just like Wayne said. Also, I have a smaller, less-torquey engine than the 1.8, so it should be even more capable at lower rpm than mine.
  7. atr

atr Well-Known Member

Hi Wayne,
    I payed some attention to what revs I actually shift at and I found that I don't go past 2000 on a slightly uphill (1% grade) on ramp. But that's with a 2.4L 4.
    In my old civic (99 ex 5speed) I found that it needed a little more gas to get moving so I typically ran it up to around 2200-2500 when taking it easy. 3500-5000 when needing to get up to speed on a very short highway on ramp.
    There's one ramp I can recall where you HAVE to nail the gas because the awesome highway engineers didn't have the foresight to give cars a little more room to get up to speed. There's literally about 500-700 feet to merge into traffic moving at 60-70 after a 25mph curve out of a clover.

So again, I say it really depends on what the situation is.
    1600 or so between shifts on level ground or downhill merging.
    1700-2200 going up hills and merging
    2500+ for when you get that urge to merge in a tight merging situations :p

The accord as you know has a 2.4L 4 that feels darn near a V6 coming from the 1.6L that was in my civic. So much torque there's no need to rev it.
    I found the same with a family member's 09 civic. much more torque then older model civics.
  8. PaleMelanesian

For the record, my Civic is the lower-powered DX version of atr's. I stand by my rpm statements.
  9. I've got a 1.7L 2001 civic. I've never timed how long it takes me to get to 45. I usually keep a closer eye on my RPMs. I never go above 2000, unless I'm going on an uphill and need to downshift to maintain proper minimum speed. I know I take roughly 8-10 seconds to get to 30 MPH. I'm guessing somewhere around 15 seconds to get to 45. I'll time myself on my commute to work today and get back to you.
  10. some_other_dave

some_other_dave Well-Known Member

Hee. For 25 MPH clover-leafs, I like to enter them at 40-50 MPH, depending on the curvature, and hold my speed through that. Or, if there are people in front of me, I FAS through it. Since my car just about never exhibits oversteer (and I have a lot of practice "catching" cars that do), I don't worry about not having any power available while I FAS.

Then again, I'm a semi-reformed speed junkie who digs lateral G's. ;)

For my CRX, I give it about 25% of the pedal (no instrumentation for load!) up to 2000 RPM, maybe up to 2200. Sometimes in 1st it's a little higher, but that's only if I'm not paying close attention. Sadly, I need to run 2500 RPM on the freeways. Any less and I will get run over; I'm at 50 MPH as is and figure that's on the edge.

I think my 5th gear is a "cursing" gear, at least judging from the reactions of some of my fellow drivers when I'm in 5th. :D

11. PaleMelanesian

12. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

EDIT: Looks like Andrew and I had the exact same response to Dave's comment. Which is funny in itself.
  13. PaleMelanesian

Only one appropriate response to that:

14. On another note, it takes me around 20 seconds to get up to 45 mph on a flat stretch.