2007 Toyota Camry I4 LE/XLE

Discussion in 'New Automobile Specifications' started by xcel, Mar 14, 2006.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

2007 Toyota Camry I4 LE/XLE

[​IMG]

Engineering:

Engine Type: In-Line 4-Cylinder
    Engine Block/Cylinder Head: Aluminum-Alloy
    Displacement (cc): 2,362
    Horsepower @ rpm (SAE net, Rev 8/04): 158 @ 6000 RPM (155 @ 6000 RPM - PZEV)
    Torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm): 161 @ 4000 RPM (158 @ 4000 RPM - PZEV)
    Redline (rpm):
    Bore and Stroke (mm): 88.5 x 96.0
    Compression Ratio: 9.8:1
    Valvetrain: DOHC 16V, w/ VVT-i
    Electronic Fuel Injection
    Drive-by-Wire Throttle System
    Front-Wheel Drive
    CARB Emissions Rating: ULEV-2/SULEV-2
    Federal Emissions: Tier II/Bin5//Tier II/Bin3
    Cd = 0.28

Transmissions:

Gear Ratios

5-Speed Manual Transmission

1st: 3.538 2nd: 2.045 3rd: 1.333 4th: 0.972 5th: 0.731 Final Drive: 3.944
    Reverse: 3.583

5-Speed Automatic Transmission (available)

1st: 3.943 2nd: 2.197 3rd: 1.413 4th: 0.975 5th: .703 Final Drive: 3.391 Reverse: 3.145

Body/Suspension/Chassis:

Unit-Body Construction
    MacPherson Strut Front Suspension
    Independent Dual Link Rear Suspension
    Stabilizer Bar (mm., front/rear): 24.2 mm/15.9 mm
    Power-Assisted Rack-and-Pinion Steering
    Steering Wheel Turns, Lock-to-Lock: 3.2
    Steering Ratio: 16.0:1
    Turning Diameter, Curb-to-Curb (ft.): 36.1 ft.
    Power-Assisted Ventilated Front Disc/Solid Rear Disc Brakes (in.): 11.65/11.06
    Wheels: All-Season Tires: P215/60 R16
    Compact Spare Tire

[​IMG]

Interior Measurements:

Headroom (in., front/rear): 38.8/37.8//37.9/37.8
    Legroom (in., front/rear): 41.6/38.3
    Shoulder Room (in., front/rear): 57.8/56.7
    Hiproom (in., front/rear): 54.6/53.9
    Cargo Volume (cu. ft.): 15.0/14.5
    Passenger Volume (cu. ft.): 101.4/99.7
    Seating Capacity: 5

Exterior Measurements:

Wheelbase (in.): 109.3
    Length (in.): 189.2
    Height (in.): 57.5
    Width (in.): 71.7
    Track (in., front/rear): 62.0/61.6
    Curb Weight (lbs. MT/AT): 3285/3340

EPA Mileage Estimates/Capacities:

5-Speed Manual (City/Highway): 24/34
    5-Speed Automatic (City/Highway): 24/33
    Crankcase (qt.): 4.3
    Coolant System (gal. MT/AT):
    Fuel (gal.): 18.5
    Required Fuel: Regular Unleaded

[​IMG]

2. Kevin Barrett

Kevin Barrett Member

I'm curious as to how close a standard TC with an I4 would be in mileage compared with a TCH utilizing similar hypermiling techniques? Nothing against the TCH, but the delta in initial cost under the TCH would purchase quite a bit of fuel for the I4.

3. lars-ss

lars-ss Member

Well, you also get a car with TONS more creature comforts with the TCH, not to mention an automatic versus a manual.

The LX is a fine car I'm sure, but it's a couple of classes below the TCH, thus the price difference.

Same as comparing a Civic LX manual to the CVT HCH - much less car for much less money.

4. Kevin Barrett

Kevin Barrett Member

Wouldn't an XLE - I4 still be less than the TCH?

5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Kevin:

___It depends and let me bring the Accord’s into the discussion … Because of a deign glitch in the AH’s tranny for re-engagement at speed, the AH will never touch the kind of FE I have been receiving in my own PZEV based I4 over the past 6 months. Enough said about the AH but the I4? I have seen and can in some instances maintain 65 + with normal non-jammed up Chicago traffic for over 100 miles …

___The TCH is a bit different animal in that it has a very strong EV once you are inside of that envelope and can maintain it in heavy bumper to bumper traffic situation. Its other saving grace is it has a nicely setup atkinsonized intake for mid-speed highway cruise (50 - 67 mph) which the std. Camry does not. Forget about emissions for a moment because you can pick up non-hybrid Camry PZEV in the 5 + clean states just as the TCH arrives everywhere other then you will consume more fuel over a given distance and thus have higher SMOG and GHG emissions … It is the mild Atkinsonized intake that gives the TCH the highway numbers it is capable of for most while running at 65 + mph vs. its non-hybrid counterpart.

___Back to the Accord vs. Camry … I take things to the absolute limits for far longer periods then most would ever be bothered with and thus, the non-hybrid can be induced into places the hybrid cannot get into and out of easily if at all. Because of this, the non-hybrid can be driven to higher FE beyond the hybrid in very small portions of the driving envelope. Very few and I mean very few are willing to drive this close to those edges and the hybrids simply eat the non-hybrid alive for most everyone else. You do have to contemplate the extra hybrid premium plus learn to drive a bit differently just as you are doing now with the Buick. Once you have become one with a hybrid (knowing its secrets as well as it knowing yours), there are very few ways for the non-hybrid driver to even come close to the hybrid in terms of FE and the hybrid experience is an absolutely fascinating one to experience …

___Again, it comes to the premium and tax credit vs. out the door cost of the non-hybrid. The devil is in the details so make sure you consider both the costs and your tolerance for hypermiling to the limits in a non-hybrid and your patience in both the hybrid and non-hybrid. Your determination to achieve what a hybrid or the non-hybrid is actually capable of has to be considered. Someone that absolutely positively has to get there as fast as humanly possible will save little by the way of a hybrid. Someone willing to learn just the basics of the hybrid drivetrain and what it can and cannot do for them will enjoy a hybrid far more then they would a non-hybrid without question. You only need to look at the vast numbers of satisfied Prius II drivers (even those only achieving 44 or so mpg’s) to realize there is something to driving a hybrid with the ICE off while cruising around the grocery store parking lot that a non-hybrid will never ever offer …

___Good Luck

___Wayne

6. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Prius -2004+-hard to beat for "normal drivers."

Wayne,
    Right about the Prius 2; for "normal drivers" who want good mpg, but have absolutely no interest in knowing how a vehicle "works"-the Prius 2 is perfect.
    My wife and son fall into that category.They have no interest in how it works, and have no interest in actually "working" to improve their mpg.In short, they are like 99% of the drivers on the road.Their right foot is either on the accelerator or the brake-never on the floorboard.
    The Prius (2004+) is perfect for these drivers. They practically double their mpg in the Prius vs the Prizm(2001-Corolla clone AT).The Prius is 19-20 mpg better than the Prizm in their hands doing exactly the same short trip heavy city driving(23 VS 42mpg-heavy on the AC).The cars are closely matched in wt,accel, with the Prius being 150 lbs heavier and maybe a shade "harder accelerating" at city speeds.The Prius also has more long road trip potential because of the hatchback(2 adults,1 big dog fit just fine).
    On the other forum the HCH ll drivers all but match the Prius in fleet mpg. I'm convinced that the Honda drivers are much more committed than the Prius drivers. I don't have a lot of hard evidence of this ( CRs numbers), but I'm sure it is so(this makes me presidential material). If I weren't so lazy I would attempt a post count per unit of time; I'm sure the HCH 2 drivers would "win."
    The Prius is a great choice for appliance drivers who want effortless FE .Heck, with the $3150 credit, a modest trim level(PK 4 or less) becomes a $20000 car- about what a fancy Corolla,Civic,Matrix costs.
    Thanks.Charlie
    PS Hope the LBP is improving. There are a lot of "tricks" to decrease the incidence of a recurrence.