Bump Start A Smart

Discussion in 'Mercedes-Benz' started by gabe1475, Oct 28, 2009.

1. gabe1475

gabe1475 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if it is possible to bump start a Smart Fortwo (in fifth gear)? This is the 451 version sold in the US.

2. smart-za

smart-za Well-Known Member

3. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

That's a mighty interesting procedure!

4. gabe1475

Well no way to bump start, but I can do pretty well with P&G with the car in Neutral. I was able to hit 54MPG for my last tank. That is 10MPG improvement over my first tank. Once the car is properly broken in 60 should not be a problem.

5. gabe1475

Someone on Smart’s website figured out the Bump Start for the smart while in motion. Not sure how useful it is at his tested speed, but will try some variation of it myself by trying to put into 5th gear before pressing the accelerator to see if it starts up at higher speeds. This could be a nice “bump” in mileage. :)

Originally Posted by tvengineer (from smartcarsofamerica.com)
    Yep... it works.... took me three tries :)

I was wrong (seldom happens).. there is a key position that is "OFF" but not locked...

Rolling... key to OFF.. lightly touch brake (enough to activate the brake light switch but not enough to slow the car)... key to ON (pos.1) shift to Manual and hold in +... accel pedal to the floor...
    car will start ONCE IT SLOWS DOWN TO LESS THAN 15MPH!!!!!!!

so.. no not practical.. the car has to be moving forward between 10 and 15 mph for it to work..

also... switching to the OFF position will douse you headlights and brake lights.. not a good idea at night...

so .. the experiment works.. but it is not really practical for hypermileing at all.

6. smart-za

smart-za Well-Known Member

Good find Gabe! I had confusing results from my bump start experiments, and decided that it wasn't going to be practical. With Tvengineer's insights, I'm going to think through my route to see if there are any opportunities for a low-speed bump start.

Keen to hear how your experiments turn out.

-Simon

7. gabe1475

Was not able to get it to work, but have not had the chance to get out there on an empty street either. Don't prefer to try this while cars are all around. I was thinking this may work well when crusing to a red light and timing it so you get there just after it turns green. All you would save is the fuel from the key start up. It would be nice if you could bump at higher speeds.