Hypermile an Expedition...

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by Bulls I, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Bulls I

Bulls I New Member

I just found this site and the "Hypermile" concept and am fairly intrigued. Anyone ever Hypermile an Expedition, or will I be the first?

One might ask... why the Expedition? I had to buy this because I tow a pretty large boat (7,000 lbs) and it's a pretty practical vehicle for that (snowmobile trailer too). I can't wait until they make a hybrid that offers the power to pull large loads.

Hypermile the boat you may say... Ahh yes, I'm a boat hypermiler. Not only is gas super expensive at the marina, it's hard to watch the 94 gallon gas tank go down... I've found that at about 8-9 mph (1885 rpm) I can get approx. 4 times the mileage opposed to the "cruise" speed...

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Member

You are the reason that the Scangauge was created.

In a vehicle as large as an Expedition, having feedback so you can increase your mileage even just mpg can make a drastic percentage difference.

If you don't have one, I would suggest saving up for one. It is very informative.

3. Bulls I

Bulls I New Member

I like it.. Will be ordering one soon. Seems inexpensive compared to other scan tools.

Every little bit helps...

In the summer I ride a motorcycle to offset my fuel consumption. It's getting too cold up here in the North land.

4. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

For instance, ScanGage clearly indicated that if I'd held off on using the heater immediately, the engine would have reached normal operating temperature significantly quicker.

5. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

So, what are your driving habits? How is your mileage now. Lets get it documented so you can know what your improvement is. I would suspect the first thing you have to do is look at your route and try to eliminate any stop signs and stoplights if you can. Gettting that beast moving in the first place probably uses a bit of fuel. The less you ahve to get it moving from a stop the better.

What level of experience do you have with getting better mileage? Are you a beginner or do you already know the basics like pumping up the tires and not gunning it to get to stop lights first?

6. Tochatihu

Tochatihu Well-Known Member

With the scan guage you can also view engine coolant temperature and see if you can benefit from limiting airflow into the radiator during the winter.

DAS

7. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Bulls I:

___I drove my parents Yukon (EPA rated 15/20) once. She was good for 26 around town when driven properly … and SG-II equipped ;)

___The MDX (EPA 17/23) is good for 30 + just about anywhere using its OEM a and iFCD’s.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

8. RH77

RH77 Well-Known Member

Welcome!

BTW, what size is your engine? I'm glad you've stopped-in because it goes to show that ANYONE can hypermile any vehicle.

I'd reccommend inflating the tires to their maximum rating (or higher if you're comfortable with that -- less rolling resistance). Also, if you have a roof rack, removing that could yield better high-speed aerodynamics.

One of the best mods, is the Engine Block Heater. It gets the engine into "efficient mode" very quickly on cold startups.

Feedback is crucial. Once you master some of the techniques here, you'll be surprised at your results. Best of luck!

RH77

9. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

man an SUV that can haul people in comfort and get decent mileage, I envy you!

I hope your learning experience is an enjoyable one!

10. hobbit

hobbit He who posts articles

Wouldn't something like the Highlander hybrid, dissed as one
    of the "pointless" power-wagon hybrids, be good for towing too?
    _H*

11. tbaleno

I dont think so. From what information I know, the CVT can't handle it.

12. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

I would like to see how the two-mode GM trucks perform when they arrive. I think that system has a lot of potential on paper, as much or more than HSD and IMA. What can it do for a truck? Beats me, because those things are heavy.

I, too, would like to hear the details of the OP's driving routine and habits before commenting on how to improve.

13. tbaleno

:( seems like he didnt come back for his answer.