In a Church Parking Lot?!

Discussion in 'Hero and Jerk of the Day' started by Chuck, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

There was a community non-worship event followed by services at a church I attended tonight.

Background: My inspection sticker is overdue, and it could cost up to $1,500 if the catalytic converter and/or O2 sensor needs replacement on my 9-yr car. I decided to move my car to a place less open after spoting a patrolman in the parking lot.

I backed out, but stopped in time....as a 3rd party would testify - I was good for anticipating 15mph drivers in the parking lot, but this woman entering off the road was doing at least 25.

I could hear her venting, and as I opened the door the borderline rage over my "inattentive driving" continued until I said: "I'm sorry! - can't you let it go?" Nope. :( What if it was an actual collision?

Two minutes later as I was signing in outside the room, she gasped among a small crowd: "Oh Noooooooo!".

This is where I should have been cooler....somewhat loudly I repllied: "Guess I deserved to be dammed to Hell for that and a million other things"....she still did not have a grip and obviously was upset by my mere presense in the same room, although I tried to ignore her, aside from intentionally sitting several chairs in front of her.

My conclusions:
    • She was almost certainly stressed before this happened - this over-the-top reaction is more consistent with internet flaming. :eek:
    • Need to be ultra careful on backouts - it's why generally I face out.
    • Again, my driving was not at fault, but I need to drive more defensively anyway....just don't want a fender bender or fight.
    • Many of you know me - I'd like to be cool but was not at times. :eek:
    • Makes you wonder how many drivers are functionally insane behind the wheel.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  2. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

FWIW I'm not surprised. I view traffic in and out of church parking lots with about the same caution that I view traffic in and out of bar parking lots. Somehow many of the church people are distracted and in a hurry.

My wife (church-goer) explains ethically questionable church-goers to me (nonchurch-goer) by comparing it to finding sick people in the hospital.

3. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

FWIW, the event before the service was open to all, so no idea about her church affiliation, but don't you think most people would go slower around places of worship, schools, and the like? Guess not. :(

Not only would I have liked to have been completely cool as a better example, it would have isolated her embarrassing behavior inside the building over this.

Be it there or occasional internet flamers, I need to let such people displaying low emotional IQ shame themselves better and hope they might wake up, although in tonight's case that's unlikely.

4. drimportracing

drimportracing Pizza driver: 61,000+ deliveries

Maybe she was needing some serious saving and in a hurry to get her some.

You should have walked into the room and said "Hi I'm Cardinal (fill in the appropriate high level religious title) Chuck and let's start this off will some introductions and your name Miss? (pointing to the offensive lady) Today we were going to talk about selflessness...but I think instead I'm going to observe today..." :D - Dale

5. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Dale,

That we were going to the same class two minutes later was almost like being "Pastor Chuck" (until I raised my voice I should rot in Hell for that and a million other things :eek: )....it would have made no difference. :(

Now I have a better picture of the near-miss - a friend of mine in a Silverado hid my Insight as I was pulling out and she was racing in clearly going over 15mph.

Lesson: when parking, avoid areas with heavy traffic when possible.

6. Mr. Pancake

Mr. Pancake Well-Known Member

Lesson #2: get your inspection so you don't have to hide out in parking lots.

7. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

God forbid this happens, but what if she did not stop in time and instead of my small car popping up from behind the pickup parked, it was a child?

Something tells me her self-rightous rant would not have happened ;)