CAUTION: Hymotion and all PHEV owners! Tire Treadwear!

Discussion in 'PHEV or Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle' started by TheForce, Oct 13, 2009.

1. TheForce

TheForce He who posts articles

This could be a potential problem with all PHEV owners!

I rotate my tires every 10k miles ( I know I should do it at 5k but I'm lazy ) and I have not rotated my tires since I got my Hymotion battery installed. This is what I found today when rotating the tires.

The outer edges of my tires are getting pretty much bald but the 3 center tread lines are still at least 3.2mm thick. Actually that are about 3.5mm, 5.2mm, 3.7mm

This is a pic of the rear tire.
    [​IMG]

This is a pic of the front tire to compare. The thickness on these are about 4.0mm, 4.2mm, 4.2mm
    [​IMG]

I'm not to concerned about this right now because next year I'm going to get new tires anyway.

In the mean time I have inflated my tires opposite of what is recommended. Normally you have 2lbs more in the front. Well I put 2lbs more in the rear to see if that will make a difference.

I'm now running 48psi front and 50psi rear.

Note: I took the pictures after I rotated the tires since I did not have my camera with my when I rotated them.

2. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

That looks like my last set of tires on my Honda Insight - could it be the rear wheel cover? :D

3. TheForce

TheForce He who posts articles

Nope. Wheel skit has at least 1" or more of clearance. Plus its balding on the inner side too.

4. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

My last remark had the seriousness of a Click and Clack comment.

5. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Looks like time for tires with a higher load rating.