How much time do you spend at the gas station?

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Family' started by TheForce, Sep 19, 2009.

1. TheForce

TheForce He who posts articles

I would like to get some data from as many people as possible. It will be about another two months or more before I get to the gas station to time how long I spend there so I need your help.

Here is what I want from you.

I want you to use a stop watch. Start it as soon as you enter the gas station property.

Pump your gas

As soon as your car leaves the gas station property stop the stop watch.

Come back here and tell me.....

Total time spent at the gas station.
    total miles on that tank.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Just going by memory, I spend about 20 minutes there. At least half of that is filling the last gallon, click by click by click.

3. TheForce

I updated the steps.

4. worthywads

worthywads Don't Feel Like Satan, I am to AAA

We gas up so infrequently it may take months to get any data. :eek:

5. nervousmini

nervousmini Well-Known Member

Don't worry, there are a few of us here unfortunately that will be able to actively supply data - but not as often as I used to :)

6. drimportracing

drimportracing Pizza driver: 61,000+ deliveries

Every three to four days I fill up. My time is going to be faster than most as I'm on the clock at work and on my way to a delivery so I never enter sloth mode or wait for a pump. But I'll contribute my time.

Are you correlating the time saved by hypermilers at the pump compared to those who stop more often and thus spend more money/time? - Dale

7. echoman

echoman Well-Known Member

20 mins!! Holy cow! Im there maybe 5 mins.

I fill up about once every 5-6 days depending on when Im working. Unforturnetly im one of those people that has to drive to work. 140km round trip. :(

8. nervousmini

nervousmini Well-Known Member

filled up this morning........3 min 51.1 sec. I probably could have shaved maybe 10-15 sec off that but I had to dodge a semi that was blocking the entrance when I was pulling in.

313.8 miles driven
    15.056 gallons pumped

Thanks, Dale.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  9. drimportracing

drimportracing Pizza driver: 61,000+ deliveries

How much fuel? :D - Dale

10. raveneon

raveneon Well-Known Member

So why do you waste 10 minutes filling up that last gallon? Just to try for a "best" tank?

Perhaps it's just me but hypermiling is also about removing waste including time. I deliberately fillup at the station which has a no fee ATM and a full menu of food so that I can pulloff 3 stops in one.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  11. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

I can't speak for Andrew but I do it so I can stay away from the station as long as possible. I don't like stopping, and I especially don't like stopping at a fueling station.

12. PaleMelanesian

Pretty much the same for me. Spending an extra 10 minutes to top it off lets me drive a week longer before filling again. When you only fill every 4-5 weeks, it's not much time to spend.

Besides, 935 miles on a tank! One of these summers I'm going to break the kilo mark.

Edit: Just noticed this was in the Prius section. Jay, are you only wanting Prius data?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  13. TheForce

I was wanting just Prius data but all cars are welcome. I really dont think it will matter too much in the end

14. bomber991

bomber991 Well-Known Member

Prius data, well my dad just swipes his credit card, then sticks the nozzle in and once it clicks off, after something like ~9 gallons, he puts it up, screws the cap on, takes his receipt and is done. And if I'm with him he'll talk about how it says it's bad in the manual to top off the prius tank and he doesn't know why, but that he doesn't top it off anyway because of the manuals warning.

For myself, same credit card procedure, but usually goes to 12 or 13 gallons. Then after it's all done I'll check my oil, write down my mileage, and clean my windshield if I need to.

15. rdprice64

rdprice64 Still Learning

Timed myself during last week's fill-up and it was 9:34. No extra clicks, I always set it on the slowest setting, make sure it is pointed as directly into the tank as possible, and let it fill to the first click. I reset the trip odo and log everything except the gallons while it is filling and have the SGII waiting on the fill-up reset, so that once it stops, I log the gallons, click save on the SGII, and head on my way.

16. echoman

echoman Well-Known Member

Im wondering, cause im really stumped on this one, but it might help me too. Why do you take that long at the pumps? Is there a seacret im not aware of? :confused:

17. PaleMelanesian

I top off the tank.
    - It gives me more time before I have to stop at the station again.
    - It gives me more consistent mpg readings, compared to the highly variable first click.
    - It gives me more miles per tank, which is a good number for advertising the value of hypermiling. A lot of people don't even check their mpg, but they do know how many miles they get before having to fill up. It's a concrete thing they can connect with.

My car is more trouble to top off than some, so it takes a while. I think it's the shape of the filler tube going down to the tank.

18. raveneon

raveneon Well-Known Member

Why not top it off with a small portable container then? It would be much quicker to fill a gas can at the pump and then top off with it. Another thought is that you could buy a few 5 or 10gal fuel jugs. If you are concerned with going to the station too often, why not fill up a few of those when going?

19. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

It is harder to measure liquid dumped from a container accurately, and it is also more dangerous to transport and store containers of gasoline (not to mention E10 doesn't have a great shelf life).

20. Shiba3420

Shiba3420 Well-Known Member

Finally got around to it.
    Total time was under 8 minutes for about 450 miles.
    The pump was running about 0.1 gallson per second, or 6 gallons a minute. That's typical, so generally I'm taking about 2 to 3 minutes to actually fill the tank (I don't top off and I don't use the low setting as I don't care about an individual tank's mileage; I let the numbers average themselves out over time). It took just over a minutes to slow, pull in, get to pump and turn off. The pump ate another minute going through the startup sequence (card, aproval, select a brand, and get to the start pumping process).
    The rest of the time was spent getting back in the car, marking down my fill data, getting seat belt on, pulling away from the pumps, and getting back on the road.

I suspect that's pretty typical for me. So 8 minutes every 450 miles/10 days. Without hypermiling and without the HiHy, it would be roughly 8 minutes (more gas/less documenting) every 300 miles/7 days.

If I maintain that pattern for 50 years, the difference works out to be just a hair over 100 hours saved or 2 hours per year.